What's new

Shaving bowls

I've tried a few bowls, including a copper one lent to me for a few weeks. I've settled on a pottery piece for several personal preferences: sloped sides as opposed to vertical, good heat retention as opposed to plastic, very well formed and comfortable handle, as opposed to palming it, some texture built into the bowl for pressing soap into as opposed to smooth. I've also got into the habit of scooping most of my soaps, so I use it most days.
Imagepipe_19.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Shop is ancient! Cleanliness, looks pretty standard, at least compared to most shops I've visited!

And, BTW, Welcome to B&B!!

proxy.php

proxy.php
Very nice barber shop from that view, it is for sure elegant in a lot of ways IMO. Thanks for sharing.!

#1 Bowl - Hendrix Classics & Co ( HC & C) unpolished straight walled stainless
- Works with all my brushes and soaps/creams
-ridges that are just aggressive enough. If a bowl has too aggressive ridges it mixes too much air into the lather. Technique of not splaying to soon will also mitigate too much air. I like thicker, lower volume lathers.
- won't break if dropped

#2 Bowl - Fine Ceramic Bowl - already shown in an earlier post
- has brush holder
- flat bottom is nice with sloped walls
- ridges are mild and work for most brushes. It does not work as well for very dense brushes such as Chubby 2 Super.

I've been through some research and a few other bowls such as Pereira, smooth soup bowl and a few others. In the end all will work. I bowl lather 95% of the time

Last edited:
Very nice barber shop from that view, it is for sure elegant in a lot of ways IMO. Thanks for sharing.!

indeed, shop was barely 2m wide! admittedly, the old mirrors and lavs showed age and could have used some restoration, obviously with costs. And some papers and jackets were laid out, late in afternoon, albeit not a lot of space for storage!
and he kept the proraso poster out, probably with tribute to some $ support he received from them!

genoa 2019 L-1000832x.jpg

I see the HC&C is only about 1-1/2 deep. Is this a problem? It does have a lid which seems like a good idea for me because I like to refill my bowl with soap and keep it there between shaves. I buy the Mystic Soap refills, so a refillable shaving bowl is nice.

Top Bottom