What's new

Shaving bowls

I've been have some bursitis or similar issue in my right elbow (my bowl holding side) and the ceramic latte cup I posted upthread is heavy and it's causing some discomfort. However, I few years ago, I bought one of those Turkish copper hammered bowls and it weighs nothing by comparison. Haven't used it in ages but I'm going to today and see if I like it as much as I remember. Photo from the net somewhere:

proxy.php

That's a really interesting design. I understand what you mean about clanking in ceramic bowls. One has to be careful with the noise issue. Where did you get your bowl? Looks like a take on all the silicon collapsible dinnerware and cookware for camping.
@guzziknight said "I got something similar to use in the shower. Lightweight, unbreakable, and collapsible for travel. A dog food bowl!"

Hey Guys
I got the bowl at Amazon. It is a little different in that it has a dimpled/textured bottom that helps build a lather.
I used a similar bowl that was in the car for the dogs until I got the new bowl in the mail.

Last edited:
I use a small Dollar Tree ramekin; works great for whipping up enough lather for three passes. I’ve seen people using large salad bowls, coffee cups, cereal bowls, coconut hulls, dog dishes, so I guess anything with sidewalls will get the job done. However, a proper shave requires a $100+ specially fired custom hand thrown lather bowl to get the full lathering experience…JKLOL 🤣

I've been have some bursitis or similar issue in my right elbow (my bowl holding side) and the ceramic latte cup I posted upthread is heavy and it's causing some discomfort. However, I few years ago, I bought one of those Turkish copper hammered bowls and it weighs nothing by comparison. Haven't used it in ages but I'm going to today and see if I like it as much as I remember. Photo from the net somewhere:

proxy.php
Used it today with a $10 Omega boar brush (the one that comes in the package with the soap) and an old Palmolive stick grated into a small bowl. That soap must be 10 years old and I probably haven't used it in at least a year. The brush loaded up easily and I got a wonderfully thick and slick lather in this bowl. Gonna be using it for awhile. Plus, if I drop it, it won't shatter on the tile floor where I'm bare footed as well.

proxy.php
I use the same one. I’ve tried other heavy duty copper bowls, ceramic, stainless and scuttles. And always go back to the humble hammered copper. This to me is perfect, light weight, perfect dimensions, easy to hold, unbreakable, inexpensive and looks great.

Reactions: CCS

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I bowl lather most of the time. The Captain's Choice Copper Bowl is my preferred bowl.
View attachment 1504277View attachment 1504278View attachment 1504279
I have two CC Aquamarine heavy copper shaving bowls.... but I keep my keys in one.. and my wife stole the first one for our TV room and keeps her ear phones in it. ;)

I use a lipped ceramic bowl thrown by Stef Baxter for the Executive Shaving Company. I bought it with my first Claymore Evo and some other assorted items... it's lovely:

8_6_2022ReSized.jpg

CC Aquamarine2.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have two CC Aquamarine heavy copper shaving bowls.... but I keep my keys in one.. and my wife stole the first one for our TV room and keeps her ear phones in it. ;)

I use a lipped ceramic bowl thrown by Stef Baxter for the Executive Shaving Company. I bought it with my first Claymore Evo and some other assorted items... it's lovely:

View attachment 1504747

View attachment 1504749
So your preference is for the lipped ceramic bowl? That's cool. It's whatever works best for you. Looks like a very nice bowl. :)

I tried a number of different bowls and scuttles and ended up preferring the Captain's Choice Copper bowl I use almost every day. Easy, predictable and wonderful lather. :love-struck:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
So your preference is for the lipped ceramic bowl? That's cool. It's whatever works best for you. Looks like a very nice bowl. :)

I tried a number of different bowls and scuttles and ended up preferring the Captain's Choice Copper bowl I use almost every day. Easy, predictable and wonderful lather. :love-struck:
I'm sure the CC copper bowls would work magically... I started out with the Stef Baxter bowl and it's always worked.. it has recessed grooves in the bottom... for me, the lip keeps the lather inside the bowl. It's on the small side but I always have enough lather for 3 passes and touchups as needed. I haven't felt the need to experiment.

I just loved the look of the CC Aquamarine bowl..... so I conjured up a use for one. ;)

I'm sure the CC copper bowls would work magically... I started out with the Stef Baxter bowl and it's always worked.. it has recessed grooves in the bottom... for me, the lip keeps the lather inside the bowl. It's on the small side but I always have enough lather for 3 passes and touchups as needed. I haven't felt the need to experiment.

I just loved the look of the CC Aquamarine bowl..... so I conjured up a use for one. ;)
I like a lip too. Two of my best bowls have lips.

Vintage Bone China

A24AD9ED-2E2A-4761-A8C8-41C961C52E9C.jpeg

Vintage Sterling Silver

84CA7CC5-E0F0-4AAC-8967-BEDC9DA909FC.jpeg

I've got a stainless steel bowl that has a pedestal on the bottom that I use most often. I have another stainless, slightly larger that has a lid.

I just ordered a Yak horn bowl yesterday. I'll post pictures when it comes.

Top Bottom