What's new

Shaving bowls

My Proraso White soap is almost finished and I’m thinking of getting the Proraso White shaving cream. I know you need a bowl to lather and I do have one. I have a stainless steel bowl, are these bowls good for lathering?

The most important thing is probably the dimensions of the bowl. I'd suggest a larger bowl, about 4 inches or more in diameter and at least 2 to 3 inches deep.

A dedicated lather bowl with ridges, etc. may help you make lather faster, but it's not required. Below is the Pereira bowl, which is great, but a bit pricey.

1660350711848.png

You can face lather with a cream. Take a dollop of cream, put one half into the brush, and the other half on the face, then build lather directly on the face, adding water gradually with the brush.

Last edited:
I have a ceramic bowl but my double walled stainless steel is my go to because I run the hottest tap water in it and it warms up and makes it easier to lather

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Captains choice has some nice looking shave bowls, you can just use any small bowl with low sides and about 5 inch diameter works well to try bowl lathering. 5 years ago there was not that many retail lathering bowls and now every retailer sells lathering bowls it seems. I modified a ceramic hot onion cheese soap bowl with a comfortable handle and have just tried a cheap yaqi lathering bowl for traveling and prefer my modified bowl.
Best way to bowl lather I found is press some soap in the bottom and start with wet lightly squeezed brush and start to swirl until you see some thicker cream starting and just add some drops of water with your hand(brush tips be careful not to much water) and swirl some more and add a few drops more until you get the lather you desire in 1-2 minutes. To much water at first will make a person work harder to create thicker lather and might have to add more soap to help the process.
( some old archived photos of my favorite lathering bowl, that small amount of soap created this lather in about 90 seconds.)
Shaving bowl 2 (2).jpg
Shaving bowl 1 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Captains choice has some nice looking shave bowls, you can just use any small bowl with low sides and about 5 inch diameter works well to try bowl lathering. 5 years ago there was not that many retail lathering bowls and now every retailer sells lathering bowls it seems. I modified a ceramic hot onion cheese soap bowl with a comfortable handle and have just tried a cheap yaqi lathering bowl for traveling and prefer my modified bowl.
Best way to bowl lather I found is press some soap in the bottom and start with wet lightly squeezed brush and start to swirl until you see some thicker cream starting and just add some drops of water with your hand(brush tips be careful not to much water) and swirl some more and add a few drops more until you get the lather you desire in 1-2 minutes. To much water at first will make a person work harder to create thicker lather and might have to add more soap to help the process.
( some old archived photos of my favorite lathering bowl, that small amount of soap created this lather in about 90seconds.)
View attachment 1503911 View attachment 1503913
Have some great shaves!
I bet that soap has a great "cent!" :biggrin1:

I just use an old latte mug (oversized coffee cup) made out of china. Works fine, no ridges or special design. I stick my thumb through the handle and cup it in my hand. I think it was a buck at a local thrift.

Looks something like this:

proxy.php

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I use a bowl now to lather up my tubed creams but you don’t really need one. I used to place a small dollop of the cream on my brush and then face lather. Another method is to place a couple of really small spots on a few parts of your face and then face lather.

Put a bit of the cream in your empty proraso container and get the lather started with water and brush. You can then face lather as usual. Works great .

Fine Accoutrements Shaving Bowl and Phoenix Artisan Star-Craft shaving brush.

This bowl is my favourite. Not too big. Fits nicely in the hand. Has ridges for speedy lathering and a brush stand and thumb hole for convenience built in. Ticks all my boxes.

Enjoy your shave!

DE2FAA44-FA33-44C0-98BC-C5367FBCCAFA.jpeg

I have used a ceramic scuttle and large pottery soup bowl in the past. I didn't like the clanging noise the brush made on the rim of the bowl. Also, there was a concern that they could break-which has happened.
This week, I got a rubber collapsable bowl with textured dimples in the bottom. It is light weight, easy to hold and dead quiet in use. I think it is an excellent choice.

PXL_20220812_153010629.PORTRAIT.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I use stainless steel bowls. There are very fancy ceramic bowls out there and I think I am just overly much afraid of dropping them. I always wanted to try a hammered copper bowl, but so far didn't.

I have used a ceramic scuttle and large pottery soup bowl in the past. I didn't like the clanging noise the brush made on the rim of the bowl. Also, there was a concern that they could break-which has happened.
This week, I got a rubber collapsable bowl with textured dimples in the bottom. It is light weight, easy to hold and dead quiet in use. I think it is an excellent choice.

View attachment 1504173
I got something similar to use in the shower. Lightweight, unbreakable, and collapsible for travel. A dog food bowl!
E1B7AD7F-A4A0-44AE-85B6-9FD5226819E9.jpeg
I used to use the Fine lather bowl, which I like. Since I live in an RV full time, my shower is very small with no shelving. I was afraid I’d break the ceramic bowl.

View attachment 1504173
That's a really interesting design. I understand what you mean about clanking in ceramic bowls. One has to be careful with the noise issue. Where did you get your bowl? Looks like a take on all the silicon collapsible dinnerware and cookware for camping.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Rodimus80!

Not sure if mentioned already, but you can easily squeeze a bit of tube cream directly onto your brush and proceed to lather up on your face! No bowl needed! This is method that the barber I had in Italy used quite well, even though he had a stainless bowl nearby!

genoa 2019 L-1000847x-2.jpg
proraso red genoax.jpg

Not sure if mentioned already, but you can easily squeeze a bit of tube cream directly onto your brush and proceed to lather up on your face! No bowl needed! This is method that the barber I had in Italy used quite well, even though he had a stainless bowl nearby!
You can face lather with a cream. Take a dollop of cream, put one half into the brush, and the other half on the face, then build lather directly on the face, adding water gradually with the brush.
Somebody might have mentioned that earlier!

:D

View attachment 1504285View attachment 1504286
That's a fellow whose shop needs a serious clean. Maybe it's a cultural thing (me being a prissy American) but that place looks downright unsanitary.

Top Bottom