What's new

Shaving bowl - big difference

Reading here and other forums I've generally seen the sentiment that a shaving bowl is a something that is nice to have, but not needed. I assumed it was just another fun accessory that people who like to have a fancy "shave den" would get. I'm pretty utilitarian, so I don't care about having a shiny bowl to lather in. I've been just lathering my shaving soap with my brush in the tin that the soap comes in.
Anyway, I was making a purchase some new aftershave balm and saw the Timeless Razor shaving bowl. It's plastic, not sexy, but is a good size and got good reviews. For $12 added onto my order, I'll at least try it out and maybe I'll go through shaving soap less quickly. I am here to tell you that using a shaving bowl to get a lather going was a major game changer in my shaving. I think it is the fact that I can regulate the soap to water ratio exactly in the bowl instead of always rubbing more soap in when lathering on the suck in the tin. From the first shave when using the bowl, I've gotten a closer and more comfortable shave.
Yay $12 plastic bowl! It ain't pretty, but I can throw it under the sink when I'm done shaving :)

I'm a pretty utilitarian sort of shaver myself (no "shave den", fancy or otherwise) and found happiness with a $2 ceramic bowl from Target. I generally prefer bowl lathering to face lathering as a matter of personal preference and partially because, as you point out, it allows me to regulate the soap to water ratio. I can also put my container of Stirling in the bowl and stack my razor/brush stand on top of that: keeps the clutter on the bathroom vanity to a minimum.

Glad you found a bowl that seems to be working out for you as well as it does.

When I got back into DE shaving, almost 8 years ago, I lucked out. I was dissatisfied with face-lathering, so I bought a lather bowl, sight-unseen on Etsy. It is perfect for me; you can see it in my avatar picture. Glazed lavender on the inside, with just enough ridges to make lathering easy, a red unglazed exterior, perfect for gripping while wet or damp. I picked the bright colors because I am sort of a design freak: I hate most craft-fair pottery, which look to me like congealed oatmeal..

So I am happy. The Etsy maker, Utilemud, is unfortunately taking a break.

I started out with a small rice bowl which I found collecting dust in our garage. I decided that since it was something that I use daily to get the Fine Accoutrements lather bowl. I like it a lot and it was cheap enough to be easily replaced if dropped. It is much easier to get a good lather if you have control over the amount of water.

Last edited:
When I bought my first DE I also bought a small ceramic shaving bowl. While it was sort of working I always thought it took too much of effort to create a good lather in it. The surface was simply too smooth. Later I designed a shaving bowl and 3D-printed it and I noticed it was so easy to create lather in this new bowl because of how the inside was shaped. The old bowl did not get any use anymore. So yes, a plastic bowl might be able to create a better lather than a ceramic one, all depending on what the inside is looking like.

Last fall I quit using shaving bowls. I get so much better result when face lathering. Now I just keeping a coffee cup in the bathroom close for soaking the brush.

I also bought the Timeless bowl. When I bought my first soap (started with tube of Proraso white cream), I thought it’s cheap and basic and if I like it, I’ll buy a nice copper or ceramic one in a few months. After 6 months of using it every shave, I love the timeless bowl and haven’t looked at another bowl and have zero interest in another. It fits perfectly in my hand, works perfect for its intended purpose of building lather and don’t have to worry about it breaking when I drop it. Oh and it’s a reasonable price. I don’t care what it looks like as I don’t need to display it as all of my shaving stuff goes in the cabinet when dry except my razor and brushes that sit on top (those I display). If anybody is looking for a lather bowl, I highly recommend it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Good for you 👍😊

Me, I face-lather. Wouldn't skip that part of my shaves for the World!
Agreed. I bowl lather maybe once or twice a year. I have always LOVED that scritchy feeling on my incredibly handsome face! It's just something I enjoy. I don't think I get any better or worse results either way.

But I just love the fact that B&B is so open and accommodating to all the different ways to get such an essential daily chore done and make it FUN in the process.

Now start shaving like a man and lather directly on the face :D

I started with bowl lathering, but my shaves improved immensely after starting to build lather on my face. I can feel the lather better and dial it in better

I was on the fence for a long time about getting myself a shaving bowl or not and decided to pick the Timeless as well. It really does a great job and it's basically indestructible. I've dropped mine countless times in the bathroom and i'm glad I didn't buy anything else.

I highly recommend this bowl to everyone, especially to new wet shavers regardless if they shave with DE, SE, SR, shavettes, cartridges or whatever. Although I get good results from bowl lathering, sometimes I think face lathering works a bit better for me, especially when I use Arko sticks.

Last edited:
I have tried several bowls including Captains Choice and the Fine Ceramic Bowl. The one I fine the best is Pereira's bowl. It comes in 3 colors. I have a brown one. It works great to make lather and is unbreakable. Can't go wrong with this one.

Pereiras.JPG

I have several lather bowls and a couple scuttles. I PIF'd my timeless to my daughter's boyfriend, just not enough room for me to maneuver. For a classic lather bowl my personal preference is the Captain's Choice brands. I've got a copper and ceramic. Both are outstanding.

Arguably the best bowl I have, considering all aspects is this yellow $1.50 Walmart salsa bowl. Lathers like a fiend. after the inside is scuffed up some (I used a Dremel). For $10-$12 dollars more, this Turkish hand-hammered copper bowl does a great job also.
IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_6191.jpg

I have gone back and forth over the years. A few months ago I bought the copper Captain's Choice bowl and I don't see myself going back to face lathering. It works perfectly for me.

Top Bottom