What's new

Shavemac Appreciation Thread

I am really fond of shavemac brushes ... some of the best knots in the market... I prefer the regular silvertip due to its softness and flow through.... however, I also own two D01 3 bands... this thread is for those who want to showcase their shavemac brushes ... custom or off the shelf or with a Rudy Vey handle... show your shavemacs...!

$IMG_0730.jpg$IMG_0618.jpg$IMG_0619.jpg$IMG_0895.jpg$IMG_0896.jpg

$DSC_0003.jpg
Here is a 23mm custom silvertip I used to own. It was just too soft for me, I'm a D01 guy.

proxy.php

This is a 24 x 48mm D01 3-band bulb. I love this brush so much I had to order the same knot specs but with a fan shape on the brush below.

proxy.php

These D01s are just about ideal for me. I think I may need a bigger one :thumbup1:

I'm a big fan of my Shavemac (and my SR, which may or may not be a Shavemac knot)

Didn't see this thread till after my shave today, but I had used my one and only Shavemac (see below) and put an order in with Bernd last night for my 2nd Shavemac, a D01 Fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
D01 3-band is one of my favourite knots. I have two and am expecting a third one from Bernd shortly.

RV Silvertip (I've sold this one)
RV D01 2-band (23.5x49)
D01 3-band fan (26x52)
D01 3-band flat top (22x48)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

No point in me posting pics as I went with a black 177 handle with my name on it but what I can say is that my 2012 Shavemac is an amazing brush. I had one from a few years ago and it was very meh and I sold it. I'm assuming they've changed their knots as mine has the "gel tip" feel which threw me for a loop at first but man...it feels like I'm lathering with a pillow. An absolute pleasure to use.

i love the colours, no black and no cream.the fashion colours,like wine, orange, blue and mixed wood shape.like the oldies from 100 years ago.i have a old spirit,dont like upgrades.the fourth photo .blue with tabac soap, is the greatest view you ever see at morning, just those bad mornings, this raise for win.

Love my Shavemacs! Especially 2 band silvertip. Here are my 9 w/Shavemac knots; 386 handle is 3 band d01, one of the butterscotch is synthetic, and the lime green Chubby 2 is a handle by @Rudy Vey. Last year I had over 90 brushes; now I have about half of that by PIFs and gifts to friends. These 9 are my most prized and most used. Probably not very minimalist to say about 9 brushes, but these are for me desert island brushes! :thumbsup:

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

Last edited:
Love my Shavemacs! Especially 2 band silvertip. Here are my 9 w/Shavemac knots; 386 handle is 3 band d01, one of the butterscotch is synthetic, and the lime green Chubby 2 is a handle by @Rudy Vey. Last year I had over 90 brushes; now I have about half of that by PIFs and gifts to friends. These 9 are my most prized and most used. Probably not very minimalist to say about 9 brushes, but these are for me desert island brushes! :thumbsup:

I thought I went through a lot of brushes, but wow, 90?! I experimented and kept only the best, now I'm in brush heaven (although after years without buying I'm really getting the itch again, especially for Shavemac). But I'm curious about your journey. Have you written up a summary of what you tried and how you ended up with just Shavemac?

I thought I went through a lot of brushes, but wow, 90?! I experimented and kept only the best, now I'm in brush heaven (although after years without buying I'm really getting the itch again, especially for Shavemac). But I'm curious about your journey. Have you written up a summary of what you tried and how you ended up with just Shavemac?

Hi, @Vlad.

So, I still have 46 brushes. Still too many! I currently have Morris & Forndran, Muhle, Paladin, Rudy Vey, Shavemac, Simpsons, Saponificio Varesino, and Thater. I learned that I only use certain brushes, so it was time to thin the herd. After an aggressive start at unrestrained BAD, I settled into a state of satisfaction with fewer items (believe it or not). I read something on B&B that said something to the effect that for a brush to qualify to enter my den that it needed to be a "desert island" brush. The brushes that I pif'd are those that I didn't reach for; the ones I kept are those that I reach for again and again. The process continues. The Shavemac knots are my favorites. They "spark joy" as Marie Kondo says. It's kinda like what you stated above, that you experimented and kept only the best! Thanks. Ciao!

This thread speaks to me!

According to a spreadsheet I found, I've had roughly 70+ brushes with probably close to 20 Shavemacs/Thaters. I've tried most of their knots as well. At this point, I've downsized down to five brushes, two of which are Shavemac knots in custom handles by Rudy Vey (as you can see in my avatar).

The 2-band silvertip knots are my favorite, especially in fan shape. They are soft tips with sturdy backbone and good flow through. There is no scratchy feel but they are not mushy either like some cheap knots I've used. Right now I have fans in 22x45 and a 24x48 sizes.

However I do miss the feel of their 3-band silvertip so plan to get another brush at some point. It will probably be a 24-25x48 size. Those knots tend to be softer and more spongy feeling.

This thread speaks to me!

According to a spreadsheet I found, I've had roughly 70+ brushes with probably close to 20 Shavemacs/Thaters. I've tried most of their knots as well. At this point, I've downsized down to five brushes, two of which are Shavemac knots in custom handles by Rudy Vey (as you can see in my avatar).

The 2-band silvertip knots are my favorite, especially in fan shape. They are soft tips with sturdy backbone and good flow through. There is no scratchy feel but they are not mushy either like some cheap knots I've used. Right now I have fans in 22x45 and a 24x48 sizes.

However I do miss the feel of their 3-band silvertip so plan to get another brush at some point. It will probably be a 24-25x48 size. Those knots tend to be softer and more spongy feeling.

Amen @Jarick 🙂

Top Bottom