What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
i wanted to ask how long at a guesstimate would you say a shave stick lasts?

It really depends. Some sticks are 50 grams, some 75 grams or even 100 grams. I find that Glycerin based shave sticks melt faster than triple milled or tallow. Also, it depends if you do 1, 2 or 3 pass(or more). Finally, it also depends on the surface that you are shaving. If you have a goatee, you won't need as much soap over time since you are not shaving that area.

On this page, you have a few numbers: Shave stick - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Shave_stick

There's also this thread if you have some time on your hands: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-many-shaves-to-the-bottom-of-a-shave-stick.48035/

Anyways, if I have to put an approximate, I would say somewhere between 60-90 shaves(so, 2-3 months). My observations where similar with shave soaps (pucks). Keep in mind it could more or less.

This might give you a little idea of one person’s use. I left cartridge razors behind a little over 2 years ago. This Arko stick has 60 shaves on it. I generally do 3 pass shaves. Most are face lather. I would guess I’ll get about 150 out of this one.

767FFC41-C9DA-416C-9866-B02DB4F99172.jpeg

Luc

Staff member
Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum shave stick small update.

there a notice on the container to discard usage if you get irritation. I did not but feel something tingling when I use it. I believe it’s related to the clove.

if you judge that your skin is sensitive then try a sample or skip it.

So far, it’s going well and should write something in 2 weeks or so.

This might give you a little idea of one person’s use. I left cartridge razors behind a little over 2 years ago. This Arko stick has 60 shaves on it. I generally do 3 pass shaves. Most are face lather. I would guess I’ll get about 150 out of this one.

View attachment 1311153
While I have never kept track either. My guess is around 150-160 shaves out of an Arko stick.

Luc

Staff member
Okay, final shave with Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum shave stick done. I know it's not exactly 30 days but, I want to move on a review of the Tabac shaving soap (new formulation vs old formulation).

At this stage, I can share my conclusions on this product.

It's a very good product that lathers well. The lather is thick and protects adequately.

But...

Keep in mind that this product contains cloves and it somehow gave me a slight burning sensation. I did not get irritation, red skin, pimples, none of that. It just doesn't feel the same than a "regular" shaving soap. So, my advice remains the same, if you have a sensitive skin, skip it or try a small sample. For the record, I do not get that type of burning sensation (not as intense) when I use Pinaud Bay Rum. I'm not the biggest fan of Bay Rum but I don't mind it either.

I will update the wiki page in a few minutes. This would be above average if it wasn't for the slight burning sensation.

Luc

Staff member
I want to try out lea, la toja, speick and the derby shaving sticks

Really love shaving sticks, especially great value for money for me too
Those are very good choices!

Reactions: saj
I've enjoyed this thread immensely @Luc ! Unfortunately, one of my favorite sticks that I discovered from this thread, Wilkinson Sword shave stick, seems to have been discontinued.

• Sad
Reactions: Luc
I've enjoyed this thread immensely @Luc ! Unfortunately, one of my favorite sticks that I discovered from this thread, Wilkinson Sword shave stick, seems to have been discontinued.

Not just the blue Wilk Sword stick but all the German tallow based shaving sticks are now gone, Wilkinson Sword, Palmolive, Speick and Tabac are no longer, but the latter two have been reformulated into new vegan formulas, maybe they can be reviewed?

There is another new SS, the Mastro Miche, which I have seen for sale at a few places.

Great thread though, credit to @Luc for all his fantastic work over the years!

Not just the blue Wilk Sword stick but all the German tallow based shaving sticks are now gone, Wilkinson Sword, Palmolive, Speick and Tabac are no longer, but the latter two have been reformulated into new vegan formulas, maybe they can be reviewed?

There is another new SS, the Mastro Miche, which I have seen for sale at a few places.

Great thread though, credit to @Luc for all his fantastic work over the years!
I'm not much for reviews, but I have been using the new formula Tabac. I think it's great. There's no compromise on the lather (for me) compared to the tallow version and some on here said the scent has changed, but I can't tell any difference. Visually- and the main difference overall that I can see- is the veggie soap is white compared to the tan tallow.

I still have some tallow in reserve, but I'm not concerned at all with the new formula. It will still be at the top of my rotation for years to come.

I'm not much for reviews, but I have been using the new formula Tabac. I think it's great. There's no compromise on the lather (for me) compared to the tallow version and some on here said the scent has changed, but I can't tell any difference. Visually- and the main difference overall that I can see- is the veggie soap is white compared to the tan tallow.

I still have some tallow in reserve, but I'm not concerned at all with the new formula. It will still be at the top of my rotation for years to come.

Thanks for the user report, and good to hear it's working well for you.

Along those lines a lesser favoured shaving stick, but I used the 2nd reformulation of the Lea Shaving Stick over the last few days.

Ok, I think about 4 years ago there was a tallow based one (which was very good indeed), then it was reformulated into one that with palm oil as one of the first ingredients, the most recent uses coconut oil, which is the one I have. This one, aside from being rock solid is actually pretty good, if I didn't know I would have assumed it was a tallow based soap.

This is the one

From the front

IMG_20220924_121558.jpg

Ingredients List
IMG_20220924_121545.jpg

Top Bottom