What's new

Shave Report: Muhle Rocca

Yes it does! I wonder if it is closer to the 89 or the R41 in aggressiveness :001_smile
It's bit more aggressive than 89 but efficient like 41 for me at least. I have 2013 41 so I don't know how it compares to original 2011 41

It's bit more aggressive than 89 but efficient like 41 for me at least. I have 2013 41 so I don't know how it compares to original 2011 41

I've had both the '11 and '13 41s; I still have the '13. The '11 was a bit too wild for me. The amount of blade exposure from the cap left the blade very flexible IMO, which on a barbwire beard, is a bad bad thing. The '13 made it perfect for me. Less aggressive than the iKon SB, which is very comparable to, but more stable and predictable shaver than, the '11.

Thanks folks, for writing about this one. I was curious how it shaves. I have a birthday coming up, and I too think it looks to be a fine razor. But didn't want to pull the trigger on a $120 razor if it's nothing special compared to others.

Muhle website as of a couple days ago says it'll be back in stock soon, all models. I guess I'll keep reading in the meantime...

@D1dad I think the general consensus is that both are very comparable in terms of quality, however, Muhle tends to be a little dressier, cleaner in fit and finish. Both will provide a great consistent shave. Despite being an open comb fan myself, I find the Merkur 34C to give me one of the best shaves I can get.

Merkur is a little more affordable; Muhle is a little more polished. That's my boiled-down estimation.

The Rocca is likely of much higher quality than any Merkur offering. Made of stainless steel, too, so more durable, as well.

+1...ish.. I don't know if "quality" is the right word. Durability is definitely better with anything made of SS. But quality implies an impact to the shave. And we all know that's a YMMV thing.

The Rocca looks like it has a pretty impressive blade gap. I'm guessing anyone that likes an aggressive shaver is going to like this one. @Felix G mentioned that it does shave more like the R41.

+1...ish.. I don't know if "quality" is the right word. Durability is definitely better with anything made of SS. But quality implies an impact to the shave. And we all know that's a YMMV thing.

The Rocca looks like it has a pretty impressive blade gap. I'm guessing anyone that likes an aggressive shaver is going to like this one. @Felix G mentioned that it does shave more like the R41.
To be precise I sad it something in between. Not aggressive like R41 but almost the same efficiency. But and it is a big but, the material and fit and finish on another level. Somebody said it cost $120, I don't know, I paid 70 Euros - about $75.

Yeah, US sellers are around $120. I saw it significantly cheaper in a foreign vendors site, but am a little skittish of sending money international and not knowing the vendor's reputation. It was out of stock anyway...

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Not sure if someone touched on this, but the OP shows two different razors. One is the ROCCA, the other a regular R89.

Anyways, I heard from a german vendor who has close ties with Mühle, that Mühle received the "version 2" of the ROCCA last week and it is in testing right now. If those tests went well it would have gone into production this week. If that is actually the case I don't know, guess we'll see.

Also I "talked" to someone who has the ROCCA ("version 1") and he claims the razor is efficient (with a lasting result) and "direct" which I assume means you can feel the blade. He claims it comes close in result to the R41 but it is not R41 aggressive. And to add to that: he said for him the R89 is not efficient enough. This is based on a forum discussion and the experience of a single shaver so keep that in mind.

Personally I think this is a total PR desaster for Mühle. Hope they still find some success with the ROCCA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom