What's new

Shave-Ready Testing, Solving the Mystery?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well there you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfect flatness of the substrate isn’t critical. Flatness of the balsa is. After you glue the balsa to the substrate you lap the balsa flat and make sure it is dead flat using pencil marks. When the marks are sanded off, it is flat and you are good to go.

Perfect flatness of the substrate isn’t critical. Flatness of the balsa is. After you glue the balsa to the substrate you lap the balsa flat and make sure it is dead flat using pencil marks. When the marks are sanded off, it is flat and you are good to go.
Fixing to do it my good friend.:a4:

????

I was referring to acrylic as a base for film.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Substrate = acrylic, tile etc.
Balsa = that wooden stuff

Balsa dead flat
Substrate flat as practical but not as critical because balsa will be lapped flat.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Months later and the mystery is still not solved.
  • I'm thinking of buying some hair from an eBay vendor to use for endless HHT practice until I finally catch on.
  • I'm considering various microscopes (usb and others); perhaps they might help.
  • The shave test works (of course it works), but...well, you know the issues there.
Happy shaves,

Jim

Only consistent non shave test I have found is the thumb pad test. It’s easy to test the whole lengths of the blade pretty quickly. Only downside is it takes time to develop and correlate.

Any test to pick will be individualized to you and what you feel is shave ready. That’s the downside. I’ve received razors that have been said to be HHT 5 and I have to take them to the stones. Conversely I’ve received razors that are said not to be shave ready that were phenomenal after a good stropping. YMMV.

Top Bottom