What's new

Shave of the Week Society (SWS)

Right at the wire!!

This week's kit has been teaching me a ton about shaving daily. Correctly :). When I first started here I thought "yeah, why wouldn't I shave daily, I love this!" But it wasn't long before my face was a blotchy mess. I moved to every other day and it cleared up mostly.

Over my journey I learned my problem was mostly technique, which has been improving. This last week, shaving daily again with the Tech, I was a little nervous I'd start to mame myself again - but no! Improved technique and the smoothness of this english Tech have made daily shaving a realistic option for me it seems. Whoo hoo!

In celebration I'm going to keep the same kit for this coming week. I'll also be celebrating the last week of Arko! lol.

1674980020720.png

Day one, had a great shave. B&M Spice Soap and AS. This scent is good, I like it but it is strong! One of the more potent scents that I have experienced. The Merkur Progress performed excellent. The Bic CP performed well, and my face feels fantastic. BBS for sure. Brush was great too, not complaints about anything this morning. It's going to be a good week. I did see a wee spot in the bottom of the soap, so I will be using this one until it is gone now. I am starting to come around to using one line until it's gone. We will see how it goes. Have a great Sunday!

If somebody is interested, Kinder Egg can hold up to 10 days of shaving cream, I have used TOBS tobacco during last week and I still have ⅓ in container. It's usefull as a travel container.
IMG_20230129_193953.jpg

This week set up:
EJ3One6
BiC Chrome Platinum (my nemesis)
Simpson T3
TOBS Lavander
Nivea Hyaluron Balm
IMG_20230129_193647.jpg

BiC and I never got along, it would aleays but her my face, I'll see how it will go this week, if it goes really bad, I'll change the blade.

Good afternoon (morning), fellow SWS buddies!

In course of the recent four weeks I have recognize that a cycle of (up to) three shaves with a defined setup hits my sweetspot better than a weekly switch of gear... at least, if I don't seek to test a piece of equipment thoroughly. I've always been a sucker for variety. I just can't help it.🙈

This is why I'll change my setup on Saturdays and Wednesday, starting from today.

Tuesday is a Tabac Tuesday anyway, so I'll do two cycles of three days with a Tabac Tuesday in between... I'm going to switch razors and shaving soap on Saturday and Wednesday, but I'll keep the same blade or a second one of the same blade variant for the second half of the week. Brushes are subject of rotation, anyway.

I wonder if my approach is in line with the spirit of this society. I'd like to stay with you guys here... may I?
Absolutely! Everyone here in the SWS makes it work in a different way. Make it work for you!

1-29-23 Sun. 4PM

SWS: 5 of 52
365: 29 of 365
Jan. GRUME: Out

Razor: Henson al13+
Blade: Nacet (2)
Soap: Glastonbury
Brush: RR Bruce

Changed my mind about the weeks razor, want to use something lighter then the Gamechanger.
3 passes for a DFS++. Almost BBS, lovely!

Be well
Jay

I'M BACK! (Just look at my signature!)

Hey Guys
The big switch for me starts February 1st. I was planning on posting my SWS gear then...but what the heck.
I am just going to get a head start on the rest of the February crowd.
Here is my gear for the rest of the week:

Castle Forbes Lime Oil
Feather DX
Artist Club Pro
*Muhle XL STF*
brush changes allowed!

PXL_20230127_165936664.jpg

Please take care of yourself & each other.

So, before my first shave I'm changing my kit. Thanks again to @bjm for the warning about Lavanille on natural hair brushes. Will be using badgers all week and attempting to face lather with them, so choosing a hard triple milled soap that works to load the brush on the soap without scooping into a bowl. I may switch from fern to citrus but MdC all week. I have a fern aftershave that I received for Christmas that I'll pair with it. View attachment 1592831
I had a very good week with the GEM WR3. I will be alternating GEM and DE shaves for a few weeks. This week back to DE with a Carbon CX in copper with PermaSharp blade. I'll also continue face lathering this week with badgers and then probably synths for the back half of the week starting February 1. Due to Decemboar and Badguary I have not used a synth since November and I have two new ones that I've not used yet.
Image4179424947796257117.jpg

Improved technique and the smoothness of this english Tech have made daily shaving a realistic option for me it seems. Whoo hoo!
Congrats on achieving progress.
Remember, if needed you could also adjust the intensity of your shaves by adjusting the number of passes and/or the direction of the shave (replacing the atg pass by a xtg pass e.g....). It's highly subjective - and you are free to decide. Whatever floats your boat... 😀

Cheers
Guido

Congrats on achieving progress.

Thank you!
Remember, if needed you could also adjust the intensity of your shaves by adjusting the number of passes and/or the direction of the shave (replacing the atg pass by a xtg pass e.g....). It's highly subjective - and you are free to decide. Whatever floats your boat... 😀

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

That is a very insightful suggestion Guido. I had not considered direction as an intensity variable at all. Wow.

Thank you!

Day 2 of 7, great shave again today with the Barrister and Mann's Spice. Merkur Progress predictably excellent as usual. No surprises or complaints. Once this tub is gone, I have a partial tub or FMOM I probably should kill off next. I am excited to see if the Spice will last for the entire month of February.

🥂TO US ALL!
I have totally enjoyed GRUME this month and the first leg of the GRUYERE journey. I am on track for 365+ shaves this year.

I am now using a straight razor with (some) confidence. Who would have "thunk" it? (Thanks @ChriWilson)

A BIG 🍻 to @FoolishMortal (GRUME), @KQY61 (GRUYERE), @Leverspro (365 Shaves) and @Rusty Blade (SWS) for their dedication to keep these special threads going each month.

Also, 🍻 to @Balin (Synthetic Sundays), @Mike M (SV Saturday), @Smooth and Sharp (MdC Mondays), @JAHE (Tallow Tabac Tuesdays) and last but certainly not least how could any of us forget @Guido75...oh yeah, he also started Muhle Mondays.

THANKS to everyone that has participated this month and I am glad @Beto Salatini shared some special music with us GRUMEers.
A special shout-out to several great photos.

ONWARD to Fruity February and OBIF.

Now I gotta go to my Over-Achievers Anonymous meeting.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Top Bottom