What's new

Shave comparison.. Gillette NEW Deluxe Big Boy vs Charcoal Goods Level 2 OC

Rarer, yes. Collectible? You have to be a New Deluxe Nerd to even know it exists. Some folks prefer the 15mm. I think Juan, @Useless shaver is one of them. I had to have one though. Sometime I need to run a few different blades through it, see if there’s a magic combo.
Well now that you made me aware of them I’ll keep my eyes open for one.
Oh and you didn’t answer my question about the Stork handle.. love the looks of the handle. How does it feel in hand and when you shave with it? I’ve been eyeballing it since you showed it to me.

Even though NEWs were made in the 30s, you cand find differences among them... lately I do definitely prefer a 15 mm, especially the one I've been using for the last shaves, with a Feather in of course...

In general I found 17 mm ones more aggressive shavers than 15 mms... but this one I'm using is the perfect balance... smooth and efficient like a SR!

Will shoot a pic and report back... I hope...
Well you’ve really sparked my interest as I love the way the 17 shaves. At least the one I just shaved with. I’ll never use the NOS Chromium one but I just last night got my other Big Boy back from North Shore and I’ll compare it to the gold one to see if there’s any difference as I found it very smooth and efficient and got a great shave. So if the 15 can shave as good or better I will absolutely keep my eyes open for one now that Mark showed me the difference in the head. One question I have.. is there a particular handle or anything else other than the teeth that would distinguish the 15 from the 17 that could be spotted in a photo?
If so could you post a photo of yours?

Thank you for the info and looking forward to your reply.

:thumbsup:

Well now that you made me aware of them I’ll keep my eyes open for one.
Oh and you didn’t answer my question about the Stork handle.. love the looks of the handle. How does it feel in hand and when you shave with it? I’ve been eyeballing it since you showed it to me.
I like the weight. Close to the Big Boy, maybe a little heavier. Somewhere around 2.6-2.8oz. If I remember right. And it’s fairly attractive. Goes very well with the Deluxe.
49E91ECD-0B2A-4E74-A20E-8F2C47BEE653.jpeg

I have gone through a bunch of NEW Deluxes: below is a 15mm on the left and a 17mm on the right. I think I traded the 15mm to @rabidus for an RFB. My other 15mm went to Chris at Razorplate several years ago for a nickel replate; it is one of my favorite razors. The Charcoal Goods razor might be precipitating a low grade acquisition fever! I find that the ATT M2 reminds me of the NEW Deluxe, and the iKon B2 OC was supposed to have been closely modeled on the NEW Deluxe.
upload_2018-1-3_11-57-26.png

I thought I had some pics of the iKon Deluxe on this computer, but I will have to add one later.
The Gillette 17mm below got lost in the mail!!!!!
upload_2018-1-3_12-7-41.png

Tom

Well you’ve really sparked my interest as I love the way the 17 shaves. At least the one I just shaved with. I’ll never use the NOS Chromium one but I just last night got my other Big Boy back from North Shore and I’ll compare it to the gold one to see if there’s any difference as I found it very smooth and efficient and got a great shave. So if the 15 can shave as good or better I will absolutely keep my eyes open for one now that Mark showed me the difference in the head. One question I have.. is there a particular handle or anything else other than the teeth that would distinguish the 15 from the 17 that could be spotted in a photo?

My pleasure, sir.

I'll try to post a pic ASAP!

Sorry, I didn't answer your question about differences and have realised that right now. I'm no expert at all (only shave with them!) but I think the only difference is the bottom of the baseplate.

Here you have a great thread on the matter, with pics!

Gillette NEW Deluxe - 15mm vs 17mm, which one do you prefer?

I really concur with the OP there (btw, again... where is Edgar? )... I absolutely love my 17 mms (Belmont, Criterion, Big Boy, bar handle) but I (now) prefer my 15 mms, especially the one I'm using these days...

Last edited:
Oops! And very nice razors, @Dragonsbeard and Mark @Hoka Hey !

And Happy New Year to all of you gentlemen!
Thank you for the links, photos and info on the different models and I’ll do my research on the 15 when I get home from work tonight and begin my search for one. Any razor that could possibly give an even better shave than the NEW Deluxe BB is absolutely worth loosing for.

An a Happy, healthy and prosperous 2018 to you sir! :thumbsup:

Thank you for the links, photos and info on the different models and I’ll do my research on the 15 when I get home from work tonight and begin my search for one. Any razor that could possibly give an even better shave than the NEW Deluxe BB is absolutely worth loosing for.

An a Happy, healthy and prosperous 2018 to you sir! :thumbsup:

My pleasure, sir!:thumbup1:

Hope you get a 15 mm soon!

I have gone through a bunch of NEW Deluxes: below is a 15mm on the left and a 17mm on the right. I think I traded the 15mm to @rabidus for an RFB. My other 15mm went to Chris at Razorplate several years ago for a nickel replate; it is one of my favorite razors. The Charcoal Goods razor might be precipitating a low grade acquisition fever! I find that the ATT M2 reminds me of the NEW Deluxe, and the iKon B2 OC was supposed to have been closely modeled on the NEW Deluxe.
View attachment 849465
I thought I had some pics of the iKon Deluxe on this computer, but I will have to add one later.
The Gillette 17mm below got lost in the mail!!!!!
View attachment 849469

Tom
Tom
Thank you for posting those photos and if you like the NEW Deluxe you would certainly like the Charcoal Goods razor and the Level 2 OC shaves very much like the NEW Deluxe. I'm not sure if a sharper blade than an Astra that I used in this comparison would change the outcome but I kind of doubt it. Now the Level 3 base plate which I also have is on a whole other level as far as efficiency goes. It is the most efficient razor in my den and for example surpasses the R41 buy a good margin. It demands some attention with a little bit of respect thrown in and of course a good technique.
I've never seen a Ikon New Deluxe or even heard of it as to be truthful I've never had good luck with any of the Ikons throughout the years and I've had 3 of them including a slant.
Also Brian at Charcoal is one great guy to work with and stands behind his product 100%.

Again thank you for your input in this thread!

I like the weight. Close to the Big Boy, maybe a little heavier. Somewhere around 2.6-2.8oz. If I remember right. And it’s fairly attractive. Goes very well with the Deluxe.View attachment 849463
BTW Mark That Stork handle looks great with the NEW head and it's calling me my friend. I just got to figure out which razor head I'd put on it.

Beautiful collection and I can see you had one replated by Chris. Your gold one at the top looks exactly like mine. The one in the bottom photo looks like the one that Mark sent me last year on lend and had my 1t shave with a NEW Deluxe and I was hooked. It was so hard to find the first one and now happy to have 3 and all 3 different looking from one another.

7BE15C13-889C-4C3A-879F-38FBD69A71FB.jpeg
B0475EB9-B6DE-49B3-95B0-45422BFB7B32.jpeg
31B0AFB9-2DC1-4F52-AFD4-D90A92899110.jpeg

Top Bottom