What's new

Shave comparison.. Gillette NEW Deluxe Big Boy vs Charcoal Goods Level 2 OC

BD61EDC5-6356-4CA6-9C96-99415CC37B4F.jpeg
B6B918C6-B0EE-4631-8082-DAC48D949BBC.jpeg
F69BC2F9-F5C2-4E7A-8C3C-737EBAFC1C7D.jpeg
B2D670AD-C8B8-4ECB-BF49-CDEB3648EBBE.jpeg
1D22FFCE-E0D0-4A04-A69C-C703B14702E8.jpeg
Ok this one's for Honka Hey ( aks Mark ) as he's asked for this shave comparison for a while and he's also responsible for my obsession with the NEW Deluxe. Seems like a year ago he sent me an extra NEW Deluxe that he said I could keep for a week to see if I like it. Well I got some great shaves with it all week and didn't want to give it back! I told Mark I have to have one in my den. So thinking it would be easy to find one on the bay or etsy I started my search for one. Well easier said than done as they are not that common. Then after finding a few here and there I was always losing them in the last few seconds of bidding and I was convinced I was cursed when it came to getting a NEW Deluxe and it became sort of a joke between Mark and myself. I'd find one. Lose the bidding.. find another one and battery went dead on my phone so missed the final bidding..etc etc. I think you all get the picture. Then it happened one night when I was up late and on my computer. I saw what looked like a NEW Deluxe but it wasn't like the one Mark had sent me so I wanted to be sure and I tried calling him. He picked up and I'm like I think I found one but It looks different than yours and is it a NEW Deluxe? He was like that is a NEW Deluxe Big Boy and wow it's in like new conditon or maybe NOS so long story short I got it and the curse had ended. Well now I've got 3 of them. The one I'm using in the shave off and another one that was in user condition that is now a North Shore getting a Gun coating after Cap fixed a slight crack in the handle and then there's my pride and joy. A NOS Chromium I just got a week ago that is amazing to look at and it's in the razor acquisition section should you like to see it. It's going to be feathered in Mr. Razor and also in a upcoming 2 book encyclopedia that someone is putting together on the history of all Gillette Open Comb razors. I got contacted by both parties to use the photos of it. So kind of cool.

Anyway had to get the story straight and so on with the shave. So Talking with Brian he told me that one of the inspirations for the Charcoal head was the NEW Deluxe and you can see a similarity in the head design in the photos.
From my time spent shaving with both razors I thought they shaved similar but at the time I only had the Level 3 OC baseplate on the Charcoal and it's the most efficient razor in my den and I nicknamed it " The Beast " and for good reason. I've tamed it over time so the name is not meant to scare anyone thinking of getting one but I will say it defiantly demands your attention and a good technique. I wouldn't recommend it to a Newbie to wet shaving and I'll leave it there.
I since obtained a level 2 OC baseplate and I told Mark I think it would be a good shave comparison between the two razors.
So the Big Boy is lighter and has a thinner handle than my Charcoal as I opted for the Magnum handle on it which I really like a lot. The thinner handle does give the edge to the Big Boy in maneuverability but not by much.
I used 2 new Astra SP blades in both razors as I wanted to use more of a mid level sharp blade for this shave off. Used a Feather in the CG last week and it was a bit harsh but I'm not a fan of Feathers in my more efficient razors. I usually go with a Posliver or Kai in these two and get great smooth shaves.

So loaded the blades and lather up some Blades Grimm Smolder soap which I love the smell of. Nice smoky tobacco scent.

Decided to do a 3 pass traditional shave using long strokes on this shave.

1st Pass - WTG - Decided to give the task of shaving my difficult right side of my face to the Big Boy just to up the stakes a bit. So started with the CG on the left side and it was singing louder than it did last week with the Posliver blade in it. Also it had more blade feel than normal which I didn't get last week when I used the Posliver. So I'll have to revisit that next time I shave with it and use both blades to compare. So no clue why. Anyway as usual it was mowing down my 2 day growth nicely and I finished the pass with no weepers, blade chattering or any other issues other than the unusual increased blade feel and louder feedback. Next over to the Big Boy and wow was it smooth and at first I was like this may not be as efficient as the CG as it was singing but very softly and gliding along like it was on ice. When I got done with the pass I wet my face and I was like they both feel the same! It was like I was shaving with one razor instead of two it was that close.

2nd Pass XTG - This time I stared with the Big Boy and no disappointments as once again it spook softly but carried a big stick as it took down a lot of the remaining stubble effortlessly. Finished the pass very quickly as I felt no threat of cutting myself. On to the CG and again lots of blade feedback and at this point I realized it must be the balde and I was tempted to switch blades but I thought nope I'm finishing this shave using the same blade. finished up the pass and once again both sides were deep into a DFS on two passes and same results on both sides.

3rd Pass ATG - Started with the CG neck to sideburns and no issues but it kept on singing to me loud and clear like it was saying I don't like this blade! Didn't go ATG under my nose and just went XTG in the opposite direction from the last pass and speaking of under the nose. Both these razors have no issues getting under the nose. I didn't stop to feel my face after the pass and went right to the Big Boy and this is where I felt a difference in the WTG pass. The Big Boy was easier to shave ATG with and smoother. I guess I wasn't surprised at all as it was smooth from the very first stroke to the last and I'll mention again it had the more difficult side of my face and neck to shave as I have some nasty cowlicks on the right side. It made no difference and once again we had a tie ballgame.. these two were neck and neck as far as the end result. Only thing I can say is I'm pretty sure it took a few more strokes with the Big Boy but it may be because it was so smooth that I was very confident that there would be no irritation so I probably did take a few more strokes with it than the CG.

So I finished up. Rinsed with cold water and put some alum on just to get some feedback and there was about 10% more on the CG side which kind of makes sense based on the way it was shaving with the Astra. Cleaned up and then rinsed the alum and put the Smolder aftershave on let is dry. It's kind of weird as it's a liquid and not a balm but it's also not clear. But it felt great and smelled really good.
Let it dry and went over my face and I had a rock solid BBS shave on both sides with no weepers or irritation. So as I'm writing this my face feels great and I'll see if one side starts to grow in faster than the other to make a final judgement but the way it feels now I'd call it a draw. One final thought. To me it proves that a vintage razor can shave as well as a new Artisan razor and now I get why Brian was inspired by the NEW Deluxe when creating his Charcoal Goods razors.
So a Great New Years shave with both these amazing razors.
An Happy New Years to all the members and moderators etc. :a54::a5: :badger:

Can't wait to see what 2018 brings to the shaving community.

Who is this “Honka Hey” you speak of?:001_tt2:
Gotta love spellcheck. I think Brian, Charcoal Goods, was inspired by the NEW. Notice the ridge in the bottom of the baseplate. I’ve been on an Aristocrat kick lately, but do love the Deluxe.
02FE9E30-20F0-4879-A4A6-6BD7DDBF6760.jpeg

Nice to know it will keep up with the modern razors. I do like that Charcoal Goods handle.

Excellent comparison review. Now you got me thinking of looking for a deluxe.

Mark they are special! Trust me on this one. Hard to find but gotta be persistent and eventually you’ll find one. I’ll keep my eyes open for you..

Gotta love spellcheck. I think Brian, Charcoal Goods, was inspired by the NEW. Notice the ridge in the bottom of the baseplate. I’ve been on an Aristocrat kick lately, but do love the Deluxe.View attachment 849072
Nice to know it will keep up with the modern razors. I do like that Charcoal Goods handle.
Gotta love spellcheck. I think Brian, Charcoal Goods, was inspired by the NEW. Notice the ridge in the bottom of the baseplate. I’ve been on an Aristocrat kick lately, but do love the Deluxe.View attachment 849072

LMAO!! Yeah spellcheck needs to be spellchecked! :a52:

Wait you have more NEW Deluxes than I thought you had! No wonder nobody else can find one!

Told you I thought these two were very close in shave performance.

You just gave me an idea. Think I’ll try the magnum handle with the NDBB head and see how that goes.

With all sincerity I want to say thank you for all the help and advice you’ve given with all my NEW Deluxe acquisitions. :thumbsup:

This thread isn't helping my wallet! I've been really close to pulling the trigger on a charcoal OC. I absolutely love all the Gillette NEWs especially the SC and you're review comparing them had me back on the Charcoal website. I DON'T NEED ANOTHER RAZOR....I DON'T NEED ANOTHER RAZOR...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This thread isn't helping my wallet! I've been really close to pulling the trigger on a charcoal OC. I absolutely love all the Gillette NEWs especially the SC and you're review comparing them had me back on the Charcoal website. I DON'T NEED ANOTHER RAZOR....I DON'T NEED ANOTHER RAZOR...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Lol oh yes you do! No seriously Brian at Charcoal is a true artisan and makes very high quality Razors at what I feel is a reasonable price. If I were starting over in buying one I’d give the dual plate some consideration as it give you more options. Also I’d email him and he will get back to you. A great guy and his customer service is really good!
Just like the NEW Deluxe I’ll never sell it.
I’d bighly recommend either the Magnum handle but the Helix and the hammered are nice as well. The Bishop was a little thin for my hand but beautiful to look at.
You won’t regret buying one.

Update it's been 12 hrs since this shave comparison and my conclusion is they are extremely comparable as my regrowth is the same on both sides an still at what most would call a PGS.
Hey Mark I just noticed that Stork handle now that I'm on my computer and not my phone. That is one sweet handle! How does if feel in hand and to shave with? I've been eyeballing the polished SS or Titanium Tipan for a while.

Stop with the pictures!
I have several NEW Improved's and haven't had much luck snagging a NEW Deluxe.

Actually the razors are gorgeous and I love looking at the pics.
I hope to one day find a specimen half as nice as those.

It’s a little more aggressive. I actually prefer the 17mm.

With that said I’ll keep my eyes open for one but it sounds like it’s not as good a shaver as the 17 but probably rarer from a collectible viewpoint. So Mark am I correct in this assumption?

Stop with the pictures!
I have several NEW Improved's and haven't had much luck snagging a NEW Deluxe.

Actually the razors are gorgeous and I love looking at the pics.
I hope to one day find a specimen half as nice as those.
Lol I know the feeling the NEW Deluxe was very elusive for me to find one so be patient but you have to look on all the websites and forums etc every day and one will come up.

Good hunting! :thumbsup:

With that said I’ll keep my eyes open for one but it sounds like it’s not as good a shaver as the 17 but probably rarer from a collectible viewpoint. So Mark am I correct in this assumption?
Rarer, yes. Collectible? You have to be a New Deluxe Nerd to even know it exists. Some folks prefer the 15mm. I think Juan, @Useless shaver is one of them. I had to have one though. Sometime I need to run a few different blades through it, see if there’s a magic combo.

Rarer, yes. Collectible? You have to be a New Deluxe Nerd to even know it exists. Some folks prefer the 15mm. I think Juan, @Useless shaver is one of them. I had to have one though. Sometime I need to run a few different blades through it, see if there’s a magic combo.

Even though NEWs were made in the 30s, you cand find differences among them... lately I do definitely prefer a 15 mm, especially the one I've been using for the last shaves, with a Feather in of course...

In general I found 17 mm ones more aggressive shavers than 15 mms... but this one I'm using is the perfect balance... smooth and efficient like a SR!

Will shoot a pic and report back... I hope...

Top Bottom