What's new

Semogue SOC Mistura | Your Impressions & Mine

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
6-30-20.SOC.Mistura.New.640.JPG

My Semogue SOC Mistura arrived yesterday.

Mistura(damp).70:30.MixedMidget.640.7-1-20.JPG

The SOC is my third brush with a knot which is a mixture of badger and boar. The other two are the little lather monster but very scritchy Omega Mixed Midget, and the 26mm Maggard 70/30 knot which I put in an old Thater beehive handle.

I have about thirty shaves using the 70/30; it's breaking in, but it's still has some prickliness. I'm not saying that's bothersome to me because it does not show itself when I use the brush as I think it should be used. In other words when the 70/30 is splayed or used to paint there's no hint of prickliness.

Compared to the 70/30 after thirty shaves, the new Mistura is, on its first shave, less prickly. Yes, it has some prickliness when it's softly pushed against the skin. That prickliness is invisible when the brush is splayed or used to paint, so it's no problem at all for me, but I'd still be happier without any prickliness. I expect the brush will break in and it'll go away or turn into what I call good scritch.

7-1-20.Mistura.New&Washed.FOCS.Vitos.640.JPG

I'd say the knot is significantly less dense than the knot of the 70/30. That's neither a bad nor a good thing in my view. The Mistura knot is certainly not deficient in density and it probably has better flow through than the 70/30. I experienced the scrub of the Mistura as very good, but it doesn't fall into the deliciously scrubby category like the 70/30. Splayed or used for painting the knot feels like a dense silvertip (kinda sorta) and not so much like a two band; that sounds critical of its scrub but I don't mean it as a criticism as much as I mean it as a compliment to the knot's soft feel.

The knot, which I washed before using, was clean to begin with. It lost not a single hair or bristle during its first use.

The handle has in my opinion great ergonomics. I've always liked the handle on my SOC boar, too, so it's no surprise that I'd like this one. It's not slippery or hard to manage in any respect. It seems to be a high quality resin handle. It does not feel cheap at all.

1593613769075.png

None of my photos have perfectly captured the handle's color. The top photo in this post comes closest to the color the handle appears to me to be in all but very bright light. It's not a super bright orange color at all except when the light is very bright. I like the color. I'm a fan of butterscotch but not so much a fan of actual orange. I wouldn't call this the perfect butterscotch but it'll do.

If you search for butterscotch candy you'll find that even the candy appears in many colors. Butterscotch is, I think, a color range and not a color.

With my calipers, the knot measures at 26mm as it leaves the ring. The loft is 51 mm. It's a 24mm brush as described by the manufacturer.

6-30-20.Mistura.New.SOC.Semogue.640.JPG

According to how I view knots this is a rather smallish or maybe medium sized knot. If it were any smaller I'd be critical of the brush. As it is, it's a brush I can certainly use, and will use and enjoy I think, but I'd much prefer the knot to be 26mm or even 28mm.

I think you can see in the photo how much smaller the Mistura knot is than the 70/30 knot.

For the record, the brush has a resin handle. The knot is said to be a mix of 50% premium boar & 50% Semogue Finest Badger. Someone mentioned that the boar is dyed (which I don't normally favor in a boar although it looks fine in this brush).

1593614237272.png

The Semogue SOC Mistura has made a very good first impression on me. Wish it came in a larger knot, but it doesn't. I should have purchased one of the 26mm Semogue LE brushes with the ugly barrel shaped wooden handle when they were available, but that ship has sailed.

Your impressions of this brush? My guess is most anyone would like this brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I recently purchased a Maggard's 70/30 knot to go into a yet unmade handle. It seems like a really nice knot for the price.

View attachment 1120148

My Semogue SOC Mistura arrived yesterday.

View attachment 1120151

The SOC is my third brush with a knot which is a mixture of badger and boar. The other two are the little lather monster but very scritchy Omega Mixed Midget, and the 26mm Maggard 70/30 knot which I put in an old Thater beehive handle.

I have about thirty shaves using the 70/30; it's breaking in, but it's still has some prickliness. I'm not saying that's bothersome to me because it does not show itself when I use the brush as I think it should be used. In other words when the 70/30 is splayed or used to paint there's no hint of prickliness.

Compared to the 70/30 after thirty shaves, the new Mistura is, on its first shave, less prickly. Yes, it has some prickliness when it's softly pushed against the skin. That prickliness is invisible when the brush is splayed or used to paint, so it's no problem at all for me, but I'd still be happier without any prickliness. I expect the brush will break in and it'll go away or turn into what I call good scritch.

View attachment 1120146

I'd say the knot is significantly less dense than the knot of the 70/30. That's neither a bad nor a good thing in my view. The Mistura knot is certainly not deficient in density and it probably has better flow through than the 70/30. I experienced the scrub of the Mistura as very good, but it doesn't fall into the deliciously scrubby category like the 70/30. Splayed or used for painting the knot feels like a dense silvertip (kinda sorta) and not so much like a two band; that sounds critical of its scrub but I don't mean it as a criticism as much as I mean it as a compliment to the knot's soft feel.

The knot, which I washed before using, was clean to begin with. It lost not a single hair or bristle during its first use.

The handle has in my opinion great ergonomics. I've always liked the handle on my SOC boar, too, so it's no surprise that I'd like this one. It's not slippery or hard to manage in any respect. It seems to be a high quality resin handle. It does not feel cheap at all.

View attachment 1120171

None of my photos have perfectly captured the handle's color. The top photo in this post comes closest to the color the handle appears to me to be in all but very bright light. It's not a super bright orange color at all except when the light is very bright. I like the color. I'm a fan of butterscotch but not so much a fan of actual orange. I wouldn't call this the perfect butterscotch but it'll do.

If you search for butterscotch candy you'll find that even the candy appears in many colors. Butterscotch is, I think, a color range and not a color.

With my calipers, the knot measures at 26mm as it leaves the ring. The loft is 51 mm. It's a 24mm brush as described by the manufacturer.

View attachment 1120147

According to how I view knots this is a rather smallish or maybe medium sized knot. If it were any smaller I'd be critical of the brush. As it is, it's a brush I can certainly use, and will use and enjoy I think, but I'd much prefer the knot to be 26mm or even 28mm.

I think you can see in the photo how much smaller the Mistura knot is than the 70/30 knot.

For the record, the brush has a resin handle. The knot is said to be a mix of 50% premium boar & 50% Semogue Finest Badger. Someone mentioned that the boar is dyed (which I don't normally favor in a boar although it looks fine in this brush).

View attachment 1120175

The Semogue SOC Mistura has made a very good first impression on me. Wish it came in a larger knot, but it doesn't. I should have purchased one of the 26mm Semogue LE brushes with the ugly barrel shaped wooden handle when they were available, but that ship has sailed.

Your impressions of this brush? My guess is most anyone would like this brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I like that handle a lot. I had one of the LE Mistura's in the wooden handles that they released, I enjoyed the knot (and really liked the handle) but wasn't using it a whole lot so I passed it along. I have a Maggards mixed knot brush now and I agree that its denser than the Mistura knot was, but I also find it significantly scritchier. I'm trying to make myself like it, but I haven't been able to fully come around to it yet. Its slowly been softening up a tiny bit so I hope it continues that course.

I bought my Mistura in Taj resin in February of 2019. Here are some thoughts I wrote up after a dozen or so uses:

Boar has great flow-through and backbone, but some guys find boar knots do not retain lather or water as well as badger.
Badger requires a bit more time but makes a slightly creamier lather, often not releasing it as well as boar or synthetics.

Soft-tipped badger is expensive. Soft-tipped boar is cheap. Cheap badger bristles are scritchy but do add backbone.
Soft-tipped badger is often so flexy that the brush must be densely packed to avoid accusations of floppiness that afflict, say, Kent or Vulfix (both of which I find quite usable and nice).

Shavemac's Finest knots are a 70:30 silvertip/pure mixture. Depending on the knot one gets, the pure can feel just fine or awfully scritchy, but the performance of the knots is excellent, with the added stiffness of pure badger allowing for a less dense knot to still have backbone. When the pure bristle is fairly soft, the resulting brush is an unbelievable performer. The two brushes I most regret parting with over the years are a pair of Shavemac Finests that had the perfect soft-scrubby-flowthrough-lather-release balance. I have ordered identical knots but haven't lucked into the scritchless joy of those two.

My hope when I placed this order was that boar would act like soft-tipped pure bristle, allowing 2-band badger hair's softness to be balanced by a sturdier bristle while avoiding excessive density. Thus far, that seems to be the case.

Now, a year and change later, I will add to the above:

I love the feel of this brush. It's like a Duke 3 in Best in terms of its density and feel, but it has better lather release due to the boar hair. It has broken in to the point that there is absolutely no scritch but a scrubbiness that suits my tastes perfectly.

The handle is superb. I would rate this Semogue shape as one of the most ergonomic and comfortable handle shapes going. It feels great in the hand, is amenable to a dozen different grips, can be used for bowl or face lathering with ease, and stays out of the way.

In terms of craftsmanship, there's no question Semogue is making a better-formed and more carefully constructed knot than the bulk 70/30 knots going around. No random overlong hairs, consistent slightly domed fan shape, etc. It's a really well-built knot and brush.

I have considered buying one in butterscotch to match my faux ivory and using no other brushes. In fact, even as I'm whittling down my boars to a handful for rotation, I know that this Mistura is one of only 3-4 brushes I've ever come across that I could use as my only one.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Now, a year and change later, I will add to the above:

I love the feel of this brush. It's like a Duke 3 in Best in terms of its density and feel, but it has better lather release due to the boar hair. It has broken in to the point that there is absolutely no scritch but a scrubbiness that suits my tastes perfectly.

The handle is superb. I would rate this Semogue shape as one of the most ergonomic and comfortable handle shapes going. It feels great in the hand, is amenable to a dozen different grips, can be used for bowl or face lathering with ease, and stays out of the way.

In terms of craftsmanship, there's no question Semogue is making a better-formed and more carefully constructed knot than the bulk 70/30 knots going around. No random overlong hairs, consistent slightly domed fan shape, etc. It's a really well-built knot and brush.

I have considered buying one in butterscotch to match my faux ivory and using no other brushes. In fact, even as I'm whittling down my boars to a handful for rotation, I know that this Mistura is one of only 3-4 brushes I've ever come across that I could use as my only one.

Quite a testimonial...

I hope to enjoy mine as much as you've enjoyed yours, but I do wish the knot were larger.

Also enjoyed your comments about Shavemac Finest. If I knew I could get a good one I'd order one, but getting a good one seems to be, much like getting one of the best of Simpson's Best brushes, a crapshoot.

I bet you'd like the 28mm Zenith Manchurian knot. I have two Zenith Manchurians (28mm and 27.5mm; both are great, but the 28mm is better).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Beautiful brush Jim! I agree with the shorter loft. I prefer a stiffer backbone over softness and the shorter loft seems to provide that for me. Now you have me wanting one of these

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
7-10-20.FOCS.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

This is a terrific brush!

I really can't imagine anyone not liking it right away. As I've said it's not as big a knot as I'd like it to be, but it's certainly not too small to use and enjoy. Most people find 24mm to be a good size, right?

It's not what I'd call a dense knot which mostly means it's not dense in the way some super dense knots these days are. That doesn't mean it lacks anything. It's plenty scrubby and such. It has a very easy ability to release its lather. It's also easily rinsed. Semogue nailed this one in my opinion.

I think (and it's still early days for me with this brush) this may be the best brush for its price I've used! Certainly there are other contenders, but, make no mistake: This is a contender!

Buy one and find out for yourself.

Enablers R Us employee of the month.jpg

There's a reason I win the award month after month.

No kidding. This is a brush worth your attention.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I ordered one of these up after this thread pushed me over the edge, looks like it may get delivered in today's mail. I have been running nothing but boar brushes for the past year and have an assortment of Semogue, Omega and Zenith brushes to compare to. Looking forward to my first mixed knot!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I ordered one of these up after this thread pushed me over the edge, looks like it may get delivered in today's mail. I have been running nothing but boar brushes for the past year and have an assortment of Semogue, Omega and Zenith brushes to compare to. Looking forward to my first mixed knot!

Looking forward to hearing about your brush (and pictures of course) and your impressions of it. It's much different from boars (and I like my boars, too).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Thanks for the report. The mixed hair knots have always intrigued me. I don't own any, maybe someday. I would like to see horse/badger as well.

I think they could make some better synths by mixing and matching fibers, but at the price most synths sell for these days, that probably can't happen. I imagine a mixed knot is a painstakingly tedious by hand process if you are going to do it right.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hey Jim, how does this brush compare to your Maggard 70/30 knotted brush?

Covered that in my OP of this thread...

In a word: Much softer (but read the OP).

Of course, I'm not sure the 70/30 is broken in yet (after only 30+ shaves) and the Mistura is still new (under 5 shaves I think).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom