What's new

Semogue Barbear Português 2023

I have two band and Manchurian knots which are said to be natural as opposed to chemically treated. It must be true as I read it on the internet. I'm talking about my Simpson knots, my Shavemac two bands, maybe my Zenith two band, and Zenith, Rudy Vey, Zenith, and Mozingo Manchurians. I could be wrong to believe anything or trust anyone.

I'm pretty sure a good many two band knots are chemically treated. Some vendors and manufacturers seem proud their knots are chemically treated.

I'm not saying treating knots is bad, but I'd prefer natural.

Perhaps all knots have chemically treated hairs and bristles. You couldn't prove it one way or the other by me.

Unlike plenty of fellows I have only a few three band silvertip badgers.

It might be I have only these four three band silvertips on my shave den shelves.

(I have an Omega three band, but plan to never use it again.)

Anyway, the point is I don't know much about three band silvertips. In spite of that deficit, I've been comparing the new Racing Green brush with my other Semogue 3 band LE. Are they much the same other than size? Doesn't answering that require a recent shave with the 2020 brush?

Do know none of my three band silvertips are chemically treated? Not really. I hope they're not.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hi Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers, how do you compare you Maseto 30mm silvertip to the Semogue Barbear LE? In terms of the hair quality, knot density and shave quality. I understand that they are of different sizes, but keeping aside the knot size, I am sure you can comments on other aspects. Also, if you had to chose between the two, which will be your choice and why?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers, how do you compare you Maseto 30mm silvertip to the Semogue Barbear LE? In terms of the hair quality, knot density and shave quality. I understand that they are of different sizes, but keeping aside the knot size, I am sure you can comments on other aspects. Also, if you had to chose between the two, which will be your choice and why?

I don't think I can acceptably answer that without doing a couple of shaves where I consider the knots in light of your questions.

There's not that much difference between them. Probably it's mostly subjective. Both are very good knots.

Three band silvertips are not my thing. I don't have many of them. I don't know a ton about them. Even when thinking about or comparing two band silvertips and/or Manchurians, both of which I have a good many of and both of which are more my thing, much is subjective.

My MS 30 mm three band is much more of a Chubby style brush with a loft which is relatively low compared with the loft of the Racing Green Semogue LE. That makes a big difference and probably makes comparing the knots too much of an apples to oranges matter. The Maseto seems denser than the Semogue but that could be entirely a function of the lower loft. It might be the LE is actually denser. See the problem?

If I had to guess I'd say the MS knots are chemically treated, but that doesn't mean they are inferior in terms of anything I could put my finger on. I like both brushes and I like both knots.

If I had a Maseto of similar size and shape to the LE it would be an easier comparison.

Happy shaves,

Jim

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've used mine about 10 times and it's definitely one of my favorites. Great backbone, soft tips and no inclination to throw lather about the place. I originally thought it was a bit small, but it seems that was just in comparison to my other favorites - it works great. But my brush shelves are very crowded now. I decided a year ago to sell a lovely badger that is too scrubby for me - maybe I'll actually get that organized before another year goes by.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've used mine about 10 times and it's definitely one of my favorites. Great backbone, soft tips and no inclination to throw lather about the place. I originally thought it was a bit small, but it seems that was just in comparison to my other favorites - it works great. But my brush shelves are very crowded now. I decided a year ago to sell a lovely badger that is too scrubby for me - maybe I'll actually get that organized before another year goes by.

Are we twins?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Wish this came in a bulb knot. How does it compare to the Foro Afeitado 2016 LE? I realise it's a larger knot.

Finally got hold of this elusive brush.

IMG_0112.jpg

F

The brush is out of stock now...
I hope the remaining two brushes will find a good new home @B&B members...

Coincidentally, earlier today the mailman delivered my brush. It's a rainy, grey day over here today, so the picture might not do the brush full justice... the green looks gorgeous and my hand fits the handle like a glove, as I had hoped for.
20231125_150746-01-01-01-01.jpeg

I likely will do the debut shave with this brush on January 1st. It's always a good thing to start a new year with something special... 😉

Cheers!

So this chapter is closed. Let’s hope there will be another Semogue LE with this kind of select hair and special knot construction before too long. I still think there is no other brush available today that is quite like this one. There are other excellent brushes, of course, with different types of hair and different styles, but for anybody who wanted this one and missed it I can’t think of a replacement.

Enjoy your brushes. I know I am.

Wonderful, wonderful brush and even better than I remembered it being. I don’t think I have another quite like it. It’s exceptional hair quality, as far as I can judge, and a very well constructed and balanced knot.
This post was my trigger to take one of last 3.. It will be my most expensive brush and I will not open the box until Christmas (my wife can have it as a nice gift for me, she asked me to order something what I like)

Top Bottom