What's new

Semogue Barbear Português 2023

Dear all!

It is with great pleasure that I present to you the Semogue Barbear Português Limited Edition 2023 shaving brush.

It's a robust 26mm brush (measuring close to 27mm), made of Selected Silvertip badger hair and Loft approximately 52mm.

The design was inspired by an old Semogue model however the design and dimensions are new.

There are some units available for sale and you can buy it directly from Vintage Scent website.

Regards
Marco
Photo 10-09-2023, 22 48 18.jpg
Photo 17-09-2023, 20 36 06.jpg
Photo 17-09-2023, 20 36 06 (1).jpg

1695084246253.jpeg

Is it St. Patrick’s Day yet? :clover:🍻🍺

So much green…

Seriously, a nice brush and Semogues are an established part of my rotation and never seem to fall out of use.
Usually, they have an attractive price point too, but €130 for this one seems a little bit steep for a Semogue.

B.

View attachment 1719804

Is it St. Patrick’s Day yet? :clover:🍻🍺

So much green…

Seriously, a nice brush and Semogues are an established part of my rotation and never seem to fall out of use.
Usually, they have an attractive price point too, but €130 for this one seems a little bit steep for a Semogue.

B.

Hi Brutus!

Thanks for your comment.

Semogue is more than capable to offer €130 brushes or even for a higher price. All depends on what they have to offer. The brush is 100% made by an old and experienced artisan, the owner of the company, it has high quality silvertip hair and it is limited to 100 units...

Also, if you try to find an old limited edition like TSN2018, you will have a hard time to get one for less than €150... and it is a Semogue ;)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have four LE Semogue brushes and they are superb, I will never part with them. My personal preference is for Semogue Finest hair, and at 26/27mm this new brush is too large for me, but if you like a larger Silvertip then this is certainly worthy of consideration.

1695212735781.png

Hi Brutus!

Thanks for your comment.

Semogue is more than capable to offer €130 brushes or even for a higher price. All depends on what they have to offer. The brush is 100% made by an old and experienced artisan, the owner of the company, it has high quality silvertip hair and it is limited to 100 units...

Also, if you try to find an old limited edition like TSN2018, you will have a hard time to get one for less than €150... and it is a Semogue ;)

Of course is Semogue capable to do that, no doubt about it.

But what makes this brand so attractive is that they offer excellent brushes at an affordable price.
In this case, the next most expensive brush costs about €85, if I remember correctly, which is quite a difference even considering what you said and the fact that this limited edition has a larger (27mm) than usual knot for a Semogue.

B.

P.S.
And now Vintage Scent has one less left, if you catch my drift…:sneaky2:

Last edited:
Mine arrived yesterday. I picked up a Galahad Finest as well. I haven’t shaved with either yet but the Barbear Português appears to have finer, softer hair than the Finest, and I think it is also more densely packed. It looks and feels like a very nice silvertip knot and I’m keen to use it tonight. The handle is very nice indeed - extremely comfortable and well-polished, and it’s a beautiful shade.

I’m really pleased I was able to get one of the hundred. Thanks, @Marcolino for letting us know they are available.

D4F51D7D-31A2-460A-8056-4365DE43064F.jpeg

A102B45A-907F-4DEA-AC0E-2B21430ACAEA.jpeg

E8288F78-C4B5-4C6E-87C2-96BB7735E24F.jpeg

Mine arrived yesterday. I picked up a Galahad Finest as well. I haven’t shaved with either yet but the Barbear Português appears to have finer, softer hair than the Finest, and I think it is also more densely packed. It looks and feels like a very nice silvertip knot and I’m keen to use it tonight. The handle is very nice indeed - extremely comfortable and well-polished, and it’s a beautiful shade.

I’m really pleased I was able to get one of the hundred. Thanks, @Marcolino for letting us know they are available.

View attachment 1724420

View attachment 1724421

View attachment 1724422
That is an amazing bloom!! I am looking forward to see how you like it and how it compares to your Canadian sourced Kents, lol.

That is an amazing bloom!! I am looking forward to see how you like it and how it compares to your Canadian sourced Kents, lol.
I shaved with the Barbear Português brush this evening. It was quite a surprise. I think this is an uncommon knot and, in my opinion, the brush is a real bargain at €130.

I know little about brush making but I suspect a knot like this would have to be specially made by hand and the hair must be hand-selected too. I’ve certainly never come across a large production badger brush with this kind of hair quality and knot density. And most premium artisan badger knots are thick 2-band hair these days, whereas this is a true, fine silvertip 3-band knot, so it’s just not very easy to find a brush that is like this. The hair tips are super soft, and uniformly so throughout the knot - there’s no hint of scritch anywhere. It has much more backbone than I was expecting, due to the density and low-ish loft. And it whipped-up a prodigious, creamy lather in no time at all. No problems with flow-through. Not a single hair shed either when pre-washing the brush or in my first shave with it. It really did feel like a soft pillow of badger hair on my face, and it’s quite a large brush with this kind of density and a 26 or 27mm diameter.

I know Shavemac offers extra dense ‘D01’ 3-band knots, and I have one of those, but the hair in this Semogue is clearly higher quality, in my opinion, and this knot is also denser. Compared to my Kent silvertip badgers (since you asked) this is very different - massively more dense, lower loft, and much more backbone - but I’d say the hair quality and softness is as good as those great Kents, and it is as good at whipping lather. My personal preference is for the lower backbone of the Kents, but I expect most shavers these days would much prefer this limited edition Semogue.

I shaved with the Barbear Português brush this evening. It was quite a surprise. I think this is an uncommon knot and, in my opinion, the brush is a real bargain at €130.

I know little about brush making but I suspect a knot like this would have to be specially made by hand and the hair must be hand-selected too. I’ve certainly never come across a large production badger brush with this kind of hair quality and knot density. And most premium artisan badger knots are thick 2-band hair these days, whereas this is a true, fine silvertip 3-band knot, so it’s just not very easy to find a brush that is like this. The hair tips are super soft, and uniformly so throughout the knot - there’s no hint of scritch anywhere. It has much more backbone than I was expecting, due to the density and low-ish loft. And it whipped-up a prodigious, creamy lather in no time at all. No problems with flow-through. Not a single hair shed either when pre-washing the brush or in my first shave with it. It really did feel like a soft pillow of badger hair on my face, and it’s quite a large brush with this kind of density and a 26 or 27mm diameter.

I know Shavemac offers extra dense ‘D01’ 3-band knots, and I have one of those, but the hair in this Semogue is clearly higher quality, in my opinion, and this knot is also denser. Compared to my Kent silvertip badgers (since you asked) this is very different - massively more dense, lower loft, and much more backbone - but I’d say the hair quality and softness is as good as those great Kents, and it is as good at whipping lather. My personal preference is for the lower backbone of the Kents, but I expect most shavers these days would much prefer this limited edition Semogue.
Thanks for the review!! I am glad you compared it to the D01 3 band knots, which are currently my favourite. I am really curious about this one.

Bang!
There goes my annual restraint approach 😆

I definitely won't miss out this brush.
I already was sold on the brush when I saw the specs. Now @Mr. Shavington 's report of soft tips and a dense knot with decent backbone.
That's 💯 % my sweetspot.

Same as @Balin when it comes to Shavemac knots I have a clear preference for Shavemac's D01 3-band knots...

Order to be placed soon.
Right now, 43 brushes are left in stock. can we please all agree you may order one of the other 42, ok? 🤣

Last edited:
Bang!

I already was sold on the brush when I saw the specs. Now @Mr. Shavington 's report of soft tips and a dense knot with decent backbone.
That's 💯 % my sweetspot.

Same as @Balin when it comes to Shavemac knots I have a clear preference for Shavemac's D01 3-band knots...

Order to be placed soon.
Right now, 43 brushes are left in stock. can we please all agree you may order one of the other 42, ok? 🤣
I’m with you. 2-band badger has become the popular choice these days for the backbone but I think people overlook the superior way that a really nice 3-band silvertip whips lather with the finer hairs, and how they can feel naturally soft without any need for chemically bleaching the hair tips. This is much more my kind of knot than those artisan 2-bands.

If you appreciate a 3-band silvertip and you like more density, I think you will be super pleased with this one. Especially for this price. I think the hair selection for this knot is truly premium and the density is uncommon for this type of brush.

Can’t wait to see your thoughts when you’ve used it, whatever your feelings are. Brushes are very personal and we all like different things, but it sounds like this should be your thing.

I'll definitely will share my thoughts once I have ordered and eventually received the brush... according to all of what I've read it'll be more than likely the brush is going to check all the boxes for me. I'm still hoping the brush might be still in stock on January 1st. But I guess the odds are against me... only 42 left 🤷‍♂️😎

Bang!

That's 💯 % my sweetspot.

Order to be placed soon.
I am out of the annual restraint, I could order 2 and hold one for you until Jan 2024!!! 😂

Top Bottom