What's new

Semogue 1800

Yes it's the RR Bruce, some say it's made from Yaqi anyway so let's c how the others compare against the RR Bruce as its my standard as a face lathering brush.

I wouldn't be surprised because Yaqi have their own Bruce knot brush which has the exact same fibre but with more density.
For whatever reason, I like the Bruce better!

This thread is somewhat old, but someone migh be able to help me.

I've bought a Semogue 1800 and have given it some (10?) palm lathers and 4 face lathers.

I like everyhting about the brush, softness, backbone, delicacy, how it spalys and especially how it paints.

HOWEVER... the brush seems to dry almost completely between the 1st and 2nd pass - during the time of an absolutely normal 1st pass.

Not only does the lather disappears, but the bristles dry up considerably, to the point of needing to reload from the puck. I tried loading heavily, with little to no success.

Soap or cream, it doesn't matter. The effect is the same.

I've read folks here saying that they manage to load the brush for a 3 pass, no problems, etc.

Is this normal? Is possible that I got a bad batch?

I'd appreciate if someone could shed some light here!

This thread is somewhat old, but someone migh be able to help me.

I've bought a Semogue 1800 and have given it some (10?) palm lathers and 4 face lathers.

I like everyhting about the brush, softness, backbone, delicacy, how it spalys and especially how it paints.

HOWEVER... the brush seems to dry almost completely between the 1st and 2nd pass - during the time of an absolutely normal 1st pass.

Not only does the lather disappears, but the bristles dry up considerably, to the point of needing to reload from the puck. I tried loading heavily, with little to no success.

Soap or cream, it doesn't matter. The effect is the same.

I've read folks here saying that they manage to load the brush for a 3 pass, no problems, etc.

Is this normal? Is possible that I got a bad batch?

I'd appreciate if someone could shed some light here!
Do you soak the brush prior to lathering? What is your lathering process like? What are your other boar experiences?

For me this one took a couple of weeks to break in enough to have lather for 2-3 passes; I always soak for at least 2 minutes and load with a fairly wet brush for about 30 seconds. I get lather for 3+ passes now. I think there is more variation in boar brush opinions than other bristle types because of the wide range of ways they are used and the different results these methods generate. I haven't come across a bad batch of boar bristle, but it's possible. More likely IMO is that you are doing something different in your process than the guys who really love their 1800s.

I soak my 1800 whilst showering.
I took just a couple of uses only to fully break in. Now it easily generates enough lather for 3+ passes - maybe an idea is to use just a bit more product (soap or cream), but I saw this didn't work for you.

It's very common for young boar brushes to not hold on to the lather, requiring you to go back to the puck sometimes before each pass.

This will resolve itself naturally if you just keep using the brush.

Maybe it will take 20 times before it will hold enough lather for the whole shave, or maybe 30 or 40. But it shouldn't be too long.

(Sent from mobile)

Top Bottom