What's new

Semogue 1520 appreciation thread

Anyone here a Semogue 1520 boar brush fan?

It seems to get hidden and forgotten about behind it's more famous 1305 brother.

I mostly face lather and it works a treat, always provides a rich thick and protective lather that is scrubbed into my bristles.

Attachments

• $semogue_1520__89679_zoom.jpg
    $semogue_1520__89679_zoom.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 519
Thanks for reminding us of this great looking brush. I don't own this brush (yet), but have longed admired it from afar.

I do own and use Semogue 1305, 1800 and 1460, each which have their own unique characteristics. I believe that the 21mm knot, 50 mm loft extra 75% bristle is the same knot used in the acrylic handled 620.

As a fan of Semogues painted handles, I've had my eye on this brush and the 1438 which seems to be the same bristles in a 22mm knot and shorter handle.

I've read that this bristle is on the scritchie side, so I'll be interested to compare it to the 1800 which has this bristle along with premium 90% bristle. The 1800 took the longest time of my three Semogues to break in, but is now a champ.

duotone, that's a 1305 in your photo, this is the 1250; http://vintagescent.com/shaving-brushes-c-5/semogue-1250-shaving-brush-p-72
I had PIFed mine last year, but really loved that Semogue the most even though the loft was a bit higher than I normally liked. Right now my only Boar is a Vie-Long which works fine, but has an Acrylic Handle. I'm waiting for a Semogue 1140 from Portuguese Gifts, I like the Wooden Barrel-Shape Handle and the bi-colored Bristles; http://www.portuguesegift.com/products/Portuguese-Excelsior-Bristle-Brush-Semogue-1140.html

I have the 1460 which is the same handle, but the better hair grade and no banding and I like it. Great face latherer, but quickly took a back seat to the 2010 Custom Boars and the other acrylic Semogue lovelies.

I absolutely love my 1520. It's broken in nicely and it has made a great addition to my Semogue collection.

duotone, that's a 1305 in your photo, this is the 1250; http://vintagescent.com/shaving-brushes-c-5/semogue-1250-shaving-brush-p-72
I had PIFed mine last year, but really loved that Semogue the most even though the loft was a bit higher than I normally liked. Right now my only Boar is a Vie-Long which works fine, but has an Acrylic Handle. I'm waiting for a Semogue 1140 from Portuguese Gifts, I like the Wooden Barrel-Shape Handle and the bi-colored Bristles; http://www.portuguesegift.com/products/Portuguese-Excelsior-Bristle-Brush-Semogue-1140.html

The 1250 has the White 90% Best Tops, the 620 has the Extra 75% Tops, it's the 610 which has the Best 90% Tops with a 1mm smaller knot & 5mm shorter loft.

Anyone here a Semogue 1520 boar brush fan?

It seems to get hidden and forgotten about behind it's more famous 1305 brother.

I mostly face lather and it works a treat, always provides a rich thick and protective lather that is scrubbed into my bristles.

My apologies to you all, when I looked at the Thread Title Today, I thought of and saw the 1250 (The onset of Dementia) Please disregard my previous hallucinations :redface: :crazy:

I own one Semogue brush and I think it's this one. The numbers confuse me: why can't they use names like Simpsons? Anyway, I get decent performance out of it but I can't get too excited. It sits upstairs in a box while my Simpsons Tulip 1 gets all the attention. Occasionally I break out the Smoggy, especially if face-lathering a hard soap. But still, it doesn't work better than the Tulip, and the Tulip is easier to use.

One day I'll get the popular 1305 and see if it's the duck's nuts like everyone seems to think. Until then... *shrug*.

I own one Semogue brush and I think it's this one. The numbers confuse me: why can't they use names like Simpsons? Anyway, I get decent performance out of it but I can't get too excited. It sits upstairs in a box while my Simpsons Tulip 1 gets all the attention. Occasionally I break out the Smoggy, especially if face-lathering a hard soap. But still, it doesn't work better than the Tulip, and the Tulip is easier to use.

One day I'll get the popular 1305 and see if it's the duck's nuts like everyone seems to think. Until then... *shrug*.

I'd say you need to put ~20 lathers on it to fully appreciate a Boar Brush, another point would be to allow the Brush to Completely Dry between lathers to allow for the proper Break-in. Once a Boar has been Broken-in you can use it everyday, the lathers will become creamier, easier to Build and apply and the Tips of the Brush will rival the softness of your Simpsons Brush.

I'd say you need to put ~20 lathers on it to fully appreciate a Boar Brush, another point would be to allow the Brush to Completely Dry between lathers to allow for the proper Break-in. Once a Boar has been Broken-in you can use it everyday, the lathers will become creamier, easier to Build and apply and the Tips of the Brush will rival the softness of your Simpsons Brush.

+1 Like many good things in life, there's some groundwork necessary to breaking in a boar brush. Once you've broken one in, you'll see how magnificent boars can be.

My apologies to you all, when I looked at the Thread Title Today, I thought of and saw the 1250 (The onset of Dementia) Please disregard my previous hallucinations :redface: :crazy:

Toms - That's too funny, but when reading the post, I can see how 1520 amd 1250 have the same numerals in a different order. Personally, my preference is to save my hallucinations for actual real time human interaction.

No, he's right it's a 1520 he has pictured, I own and am breaking one in now. After about twenty shaves it's starting to soften up a bit and produce a better facelather.

Clayton

...Toms - That's too funny, but when reading the post, I can see how 1520 amd 1250 have the same numerals in a different order. Personally, my preference is to save my hallucinations for actual real time human interaction.

No, he's right it's a 1520 he has pictured, I own and am breaking one in now. After about twenty shaves it's starting to soften up a bit and produce a better facelather.

Clayton

Yeah, I realized that early this Morning :blushing: :mad2:

Clayton

Yep after that many shaves it should be breaking in nicely and should produce great results when face lathering.

What I find strange is how long it takes to dry to my much denser Simpsons Duke3.

I soaked my brand new 1520 in soapy water last night to help get the boar funk out of it. I woke up today to long cracks in the finish on the handle! So disappointing!! I thought the handles were waterproof. I bought one as a gift for my brother in-law so really hope I just got a lemon. Let's hope the retailer who sold it to me has a good return policy. I thought the

My 1305 did the same. I didn't even soak it that long, just a normal soaking before shaving. All the paint ended up peeling off.

Thanks for your input on this. I didn't realise this was such an old thread. Fendrihan got back to me and basically said I messed up and maybe semogue would replace it. I can't say I'm very impressed right now. But relieved. To see this probably would have happened anywa.

will a boar brush like the 1520 not give those of us with sensitive skin...? i get brush burn from pure badger....

I just ordered a 1305 from Maggards. I assume you're not supposed to soak the entire brush, just the bristles and you are not supposed to submerge the knot. Am I wrong?

Top Bottom