What's new

Selling a Used Car -where to go?

I need a more utilitarian car for my business and thus am looking to buy a new car. While I negotiated an excellent price for the new car, the negotiations broke down when it came to trade in time. The dealer totally low balled me and offered me $6600 less than Blue Book value...a definite deal killer. :angry:

I have come to conclusion that I will have to sell the car myself to get anywhere near its value but am unsure of the best places to advertise. It has been about seven years since I have sold a car and I am sure the landscape has changed.

I am counting on the collective experience of B & B members. If it makes any difference, the car in question is a 2003 Audi A4 with the 6 cylinder engine and with the Sport and Premium package. It is in excellent condition, has no issues, and has low (62,000) miles for its age.

I appreciate any input or advice.

I used a combination of craigslist, a sign on the car itself, and word of mouth to sell an accord a few years back in the DC area. Took about two weeks, but worked out well. Ultimately, it sold to someone in the neighborhood who saw the sign on the car. I also had the car detailed beforehand.

+1 on the craigslist idea. I've sold a couple of cars on craigslist. You might also see if Carmax will buy your car; they might give you a better offer than the dealer who lowballed you.

Mike

I used a combination of craigslist, a sign on the car itself, and word of mouth to sell an accord a few years back in the DC area. Took about two weeks, but worked out well. Ultimately, it sold to someone in the neighborhood who saw the sign on the car. I also had the car detailed beforehand.

Good idea about the sign and detailing. I keep my car clean but a detailing will definitely improve the appearance. When using Craigslist did you meet the prospective buyer in a public place?

+1 on the craigslist idea. I've sold a couple of cars on craigslist. You might also see if Carmax will buy your car; they might give you a better offer than the dealer who lowballed you.

Mike

Carmax is on my list of things to do on Monday. In the past I have used Carsdirect.com and Autotrader but will give Craigslist a try. Thanks

Good idea about the sign and detailing. I keep my car clean but a detailing will definitely improve the appearance. When using Craigslist did you meet the prospective buyer in a public place?

Yes I did. I just phrased it as making it easier for the buyer to find. :001_smile

In my area we have a newsprint magazine that comes out every week that is nothing but cars for sale. It costs about $30 for a add untill your car sells, and is free to pickup. I have sold several used cars in it in 2 weeks or less. Last sale was a truck that I had 10 calls on the first day, it was gone 8 hours affter the mag hit the shelf.

Carmax is just another used car dealer, so I would not hold my breath getting a great deal out of them either.

Carmax is just another used car dealer, so I would not hold my breath getting a great deal out of them either.

I had a feeling that was probably true. The thing that gets me is that they do not even approach the Blue Book Value for a trade in let alone a private sale. So they are essentially low balling a figure that is already in their favor.

You can't expect a dealer to purchase a car at Blue Book value because that is about what they'll sell it for. No point to it if they can't make a profit out of it.

You can't expect a dealer to purchase a car at Blue Book value because that is about what they'll sell it for. No point to it if they can't make a profit out of it.

The Blue book gave three values...the trade in value, private sale value and dealer value. They low-balled the trade-in value by $4,000 which is just plain insulting. Since I can sell the car for more than $6600 above what they offered, I will sell it on my own. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I will probably go to another dealer when I do buy the new car.

Last edited:
Top Bottom