What's new

The Wanderers Guide - Episode 2

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
This episode came about when I was gifted a razor by our good friend, Cal.

img_20180321_223356_edit_1333_1000-jpg.869437

The Gillette Super Click weighs only seven grams when loaded, which utterly defeats the concept of “let the weight of the razor do the work” favoured by many people. As I started trying to adapt my own techniques to this razor, it made me become a lot more consciously aware of my actions. It was like learning those techniques all over again. I felt it might be useful capturing this awareness and writing down the development of those skills again, might serve as a follow up to The Wanderers Guide To DE Shaving

The Art Of The Pressureless Shave

So, how do you get a pressureless shave with a 7g razor, with no irritation? The lack of rigidity and inertia in this razor, places more responsibility on the skills of the operator, and if you can get a great pressure free shave with no irritation with this razor, I’d wager that you can do the same with pretty much any DE razor. It’s entirely up to if you wish to try and track one of these razors down from the Asian marketplace to try, it really can be a challenging razor to use with no pressure, or you can just follow along with your existing equipment.

I will say right now that this guide might not be suitable for total newcomers to DE shaving, and The Wanderers Guide To DE Shaving may be a better start point for you. Likewise, if you already get a perfectly close shave with zero irritation, this guide is not aimed for you. It’s written for those intermediate shavers, who have got the hang of the basics, but want to up their game from good shaves to great shaves. This guide is written from the perspective of what I personally have learned in the last 30 years. Others may have learnt differently, and reached different conclusions. As always, your needs and your experience may vary.

Just like the previous guide, there are foundation elements that need to be in place before a truly pressureless shave can be achieved. For this guide, those foundation elements are grip, angle, lather, and familiarity. We’ll explore each of these in turn, before we consider the final pressureless shaves.

Grip

When pressureless shaving has been discussed in the past, I have seen comments suggesting that people are concerned about dropping the razor if they shave with no pressure. Pressureless shaving does not mean zero pressure between the fingers and the razor. Control of the razor is paramount. How can anyone expect top shave closely without nicks or irritation, if they don’t have have full control of their razor? Control comes from having a secure and stable grip. Note that I didn’t say tight grip. There is a difference between secure and stable, and tightness. Tightness in the fingers, will also lead to tightness in the wrist and forearm, which will impair your ability to let the razor “flow” around the contours of the face, and will also reduce the feel in your fingers, and mute the feedback of the cutting action. Your grip needs to be stable and secure so that the handle will not spin in your fingers unless you command it. Also, should a dull spot on your blade hit a stubborn bit of stubble, you will be able to feel it and stop.

How you grip the razor will most likely vary between different ones. It certainly does with me. One significant characteristic about the Gillette Click, is that not only is it light, but it will also flex. This in turn affects angle and pressure, and I had to modify my usual grip significantly in order to feel the razor was both secure and stable. For me, I found that I had to grip the handle directly under the head of the razor to prevent/mitigate the flex. It was this change in grip which made the angles so different from other razors, and why I had to go right back to basics to master it’s use.

More rigid and differently weighted razors, will need a different grip to feel secure and stable. Finding the natural balance point will help massively. The nearer that you are to the to the razors centre of gravity, the lighter you can hold it securely, and you gain more control in effortlessly manipulating the angle of the head, horizontally, vertically, and rotationally about the central axis of the handle. That lightness in touch while maintaining the security and stability, will in turn give greater sensitivity when you come to pressureless shaving. One standard grip for all razors, will mean that balance, stability or feel may well be compromised. Take time to find that sweet spot for the razor, and experiment with different ways of manipulating it. This is why the previous guide suggested sticking with one set up, instead of switching kit all the time. Allow yourself to tune in to what the razor needs to get the best from it. When you get comfortable with a razor, it will feel like a natural extension of the fingers, and you will be able to shift your awareness to your face, confident that your fingers will automatically make the correct adjustments - just in the same way that when driving a car, your awareness is outside the vehicle, and your hands and feet know where everything is, and when to do what, and by how much.

Angle

With the grip established, the angle becomes easier to follow. Nowhere on our face is truly flat, and therefore every shaving motion needs to be accompanied by some kind of adjustment to maintain the angle or the razor head relative to the skin. Whether this is the convex structure of our jawline, or the hollow curve from out neck to the underside of our jaw, it is not enough to maintain a fixed angle position relative to the floor through out the stroke, we must be able allow that angle to change as we flow around our facial contours. The shaving stroke should not be done with just the wrist. This will result in a “scooping” action of the razor, which can cause undue pressure. Instead, allow the whole forearm to make the stroke.

The same applies with major contour changes. The wrist and fingers will be able to handle minor contour changes, but the whole arm should be used for significant changes, such as rounding the jaw. For example, I am right handed. When I am shaving downwards over my right cheek, my elbow is high, and drops down to my side as I pass over the jawbone, correcting the razor angle relative to the change in landscape, and maintaining the angle to skin correction around the curve. Likewise, when passing from there onto my neck, the elbow rises again, bringing the handle back out to a more horizontal position. The fine tuning of the razor angle throughout all this, is done with the wrist and fingers. If you try to go round the corner with only angling your wrist, your razor is moving on a different radius to your face, and you’ll end up inadvertently applying pressure, or lifting off. To develop the pressureless shave, this angle adjustment all over your face needs to be as automatic as scratching an itch. You don’t have to consciously decide where that itch is, and how to get your hand there, your fingers just go straight to it. After a while you will get that automatic with your razor angle. This can be a slow learning curve for some people, particularly if their muscle memory has been trained with a pivoting cartridge razor. It takes a while to unlearn that original motion, and incorporate the angle changes for a rigid razor that can’t make that adjustment for you.

Again, familiarity is a significant part of the equation with good angle management. Different razors need slightly different angles, and swapping between different kit is going to throw those angles off. It usually takes me three of four shaves to properly reset my technique to a change in DE razor, so if I swapped the razor weekly, I’d only be getting three or four good shaves a week, and I’ve been shaving a long time. Someone newer may struggle a bit more to make the changes that quickly, and never quite make the transition properly from one razor to the next, before they’ve swapped again.

Lather

Here’s where a lot of established shavers will start to feel disagreement with my views. There’s no easy way to tiptoe around this, so I might as well just blurt it out. Cushion is bad. There, I said it. I have said it before (much to some people’s consternation), and I will continue to say it in future. Cushion, or density of lather as I understand it, truly gets in the way when it comes to pressure free shaving. Not only can it potentially hold the razor off the skin, particularly if your razor only weighs seven grams fully loaded, causing cutting high on the hair shaft and tugging at the root, it also muffles the feel of the razor. You can neither feel the passing of the razor over your face, not the resistance in cut and subtle change in pressure on your fingertips, as accurately as you can with a thinner lather in my experience.

In the last six months of shaving (before that, I had a full beard for two years), I have not cut myself once with a DE razor. Not a single weeper. Why? Because I can feel the difference between a razor trying to cut hair, and trying to cut skin, both on my fingers and on my face. To my mind, cushioned latherers sacrifice this for a “luxurious” feel of a rich lather. Personally, I would rather have the “luxurious” feel of zero skin irritation, and keeping the red sticky stuff on the inside. I choose to do this with pressureless shaving, and you can’t have a pressureless shave and cushioned lather. You must choose one or the other, and I give higher priority to how my face feels after the shave, than to the few minutes during it. A thinner lather gives you more feel. More feel gives you more awareness of what is happening, and more awareness gives you more control over the subtleties of the shave. The devil is in the detail, and the enhanced feeling in your face and fingers will let you tune in much finer to the shave, and get better results in terms of closeness and comfort. Remember what was said in my first guide, the prep softens the stubble, and the lather lubricates the skin. Anything more is just baggage which will get in your way.

The Pressure Free Shave.

With a light but secure grip, good angle control, and a light cushion free but slick lather, we are now able to start eliminating pressure through each shaving stroke. As mentioned in the original guide, to get good results, we need to be cutting at skin level. Cutting high, either through bad angle and the cap or comb holding the blade off the face, or through thick lather and impaired feel letting the whole razor lose face contact, will result in tugging and trauma at the root. We also don’t want to cut low, as we’re either planing strips of epidermis off, or cutting through it and letting the red sticky stuff out.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The truly pressure free shaves come from having a good understanding of your own face too, both in terms of which way your stubble grows in all the various locations, but also in terms of of how much resistance they put up to being cut as the razor passes lightly through them in whichever direction. If your beard is like mine, shaving against the grain puts up more resistance than shaving with the grain. Mine also puts up more resistance on the left side of my face than the right. You need to be aware of the characteristics of your own shave, and you need to be able to feel it (good grip, thin lather, and good angle), so you can determine when you need to adjust to it. The reason that you need all this, is that skin moves. Here is one of the most important aspects of the pressure free shave. You need to be in full control of the razor, and not just resting it on your skin, as there is a good chance that due to resistance of the hair being cut, irrespective of whether you tension (stretch) your skin with your fingers, your skin might shift inwards a little. The amount this happens by, depends on how well you softened your stubble, and whereabouts your blade is in it’s lifespan (I get roughly 14 shaves on average from my blades). The most difficult part of the pressure free shave is this:

When the skin moves in a little, do not try to follow it!

With practice and muscle memory, you will know where your skin should be if it hadn’t just moved, and that is the direction in which you must keep traveling. If you follow the deflection of the skin, you will move the blade into a small depression, and the blade is now below where the skin should be. This is the cause of the pressure, nicks, and irritation, that you are trying to avoid. If you maintain the blade height, the skin will relax a little each time a hair is cut, and retension a little with each new hair the blade encounters, but as the beard is reduced, the skin will keep returning to the proper height, and you don’t want your blade in the way when it does.

Developing this feel, and overcoming the instinct to follow any inward movement of the skin will take time. Even the understanding of what feel right and wrong takes time to learn. As you progress, and your awareness in the moment develops, you will be able to feel in your face and fingers if your blade is high or low, whether the angle is off, and whether you are about to cut the wrong stuff – and stop before you do. Short strokes do make this easier to learn, but as your confidence grows and you develop as a shaver, you might find your stroke length getting longer, while instinctively adjusting to the contours of the landscape, and hovering the blade perfectly at the correct height.

This is the pressure free shave. You no longer simply hold the razor against your skin and let your skin shove back against it. You are no longer traversing the razor below the relaxed skin level. You will find that you are able to curve the path of the razor without drag, cutting hairs without cutting skin, and without tugging at the root. You are not concentrating consciously on each action of the hand and arm, you are operating in heightened awareness of what is happening on the face, and subtly adjusting to the feedback. You are in the zone, and enjoying that Zen feeling that you hear others talking about. You will no longer need to ask questions about your technique, as you are in full awareness and understanding of what is happening at all throughout the shave.

You will not need to concentrate on the razor any more than you have to concentrate on your feet on a stroll through the park. Every park we stroll through is different, and so is every face. You might need to take a different path to me, or a different pace, or different stride length. You may learn different things as you go, and pause in different places, but one day you will go all the way through and get to the other side, and realise that your mind had drifted elsewhere throughout the whole experience. You’ll run your hand over your stubble free face, neither the alum nor the aftershave will sting, and you’ll smile and realise you’ve cracked it.

You’ve mastered the art of the pressure free shave.

Good stuff @AimlessWanderer! Thanks for taking the time to jot down your methods.

One question for you, well maybe two - do you Use your off hand to stretch your skin when shaving; if so, do you still do this with the lighter razor here in your “zero pressure” shave?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Good stuff @AimlessWanderer! Thanks for taking the time to jot down your methods.

One question for you, well maybe two - do you Use your off hand to stretch your skin when shaving; if so, do you still do this with the lighter razor here in your “zero pressure” shave?

Thanks, Chris. Firstly, my skin is quite taught, so I don't have to take up much slack as it were. That said, and here's where familiarity crops up again, there are areas on my face where stretching does help, as it causes the hair to stand up more, presenting itself better to the razor. So yes, I do stretch the skin occasionally, irrespective of which razor I'm using.

I've tried out these click type plastic razors. They are quite good for traveling.

Modern Gillette DE's in India.

I agree that the balance point is different, & just under the head.
As I pointed out, with these razors, a small amount of pressure is required. But when I said that I would be concerned about dropping the razor if I use no pressure, I was talking about the underside of my neck.
Applying no pressure at all then implies that I am not applying enough pressure to even hold the razor up.
Its not just semantics- these are lightweight razors & so should not be held too tightly.
Yet at the same time, with these razors held so close to their head, there is bound to be lather on my fingers when I shave, which means my fingers get slippery, & that some pressure is required to hold the razor & prevent twisting.
Finding out exactly how much pressure to use was part of the journey.
It took me a while to get used to these razors.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've tried out these click type plastic razors. They are quite good for traveling.

Modern Gillette DE's in India.

I agree that the balance point is different, & just under the head.
As I pointed out, with these razors, a small amount of pressure is required. But when I said that I would be concerned about dropping the razor if I use no pressure, I was talking about the underside of my neck.
Applying no pressure at all then implies that I am not applying enough pressure to even hold the razor up.
Its not just semantics- these are lightweight razors & so should not be held too tightly.
Yet at the same time, with these razors held so close to their head, there is bound to be lather on my fingers when I shave, which means my fingers get slippery, & that some pressure is required to hold the razor & prevent twisting.
Finding out exactly how much pressure to use was part of the journey.
It took me a while to get used to these razors.

Yeah, it took me a while to tune in too, but my explorations took me to a different conclusion. My approach of "hovering" the blade at skin height, is not new to this razor, and I have done that for years. I found that it wasn't pressure that was causing the flex (I wasn't using any), merely the cutting resistance. Part of the reason that I choked up so high on the handle, was so that my finger was in the way of the head tilting back.

I must use a firmer grip on the razor than you, despite the lightweight construction. I do not feel that I have control of the razor (any razor) without a secure grip, and there's no way I'm putting a razor to my face unless I know I've got full control and full dexterity. In my usage the grip does not corrolate to the pressure. They are two very seperate things.

Reading your post, two sayings spring to mind. Firstly, "There's more than one way to skin a cat". We seem to take significantly different approaches to the same challenges. Secondly, as the old adverts over here used to say, "It's a lot less bover with a hover" :D

Yeah, it took me a while to tune in too, but my explorations took me to a different conclusion. My approach of "hovering" the blade at skin height, is not new to this razor, and I have done that for years. I found that it wasn't pressure that was causing the flex (I wasn't using any), merely the cutting resistance. Part of the reason that I choked up so high on the handle, was so that my finger was in the way of the head tilting back.

I must use a firmer grip on the razor than you, despite the lightweight construction. I do not feel that I have control of the razor (any razor) without a secure grip, and there's no way I'm putting a razor to my face unless I know I've got full control and full dexterity. In my usage the grip does not corrolate to the pressure. They are two very seperate things.

Reading your post, two sayings spring to mind. Firstly, "There's more than one way to skin a cat". We seem to take significantly different approaches to the same challenges. Secondly, as the old adverts over here used to say, "It's a lot less bover with a hover" :D

You're probably right, though I'm beginning to suspect that we're both doing the same thing... but describing it somewhat differently, or focussing on different parts of the act.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You're probably right, though I'm beginning to suspect that we're both doing the same thing... but describing it somewhat differently, or focussing on different parts of the act.

Quite possibly. I just reread your post again, and such as "dropping the razor", could mean just lowering it or fumbling it and letting go altogether. I'm at no risk of letting go, and the thin lather lets me feel whether I'm on target or not. I get a secure grip without tightness (lack of mobility) in the finger, wrist and forearm muscles. All the pressure that I am talking about avoiding is between razor and face, not razor and fingers. Another way to describe it would be moving the razor through the air at skin level, but trying to avoid actually resting the razor on the skin. That's the target anyway. There's always a miniscule amount of deviation either way, but the thin lather lets you feel it and adjust before you cause problems.

I have tried shaving with a rich lather several times, and it can indeed feel quite lavish and luxurious - until you rinse it off. The reduced feel, awareness, and control always gives me a worse shave, both in terms of closeness and comfort. I can understand why some call it cushion or protection, because you don't feel the blade as much - but the flip side is, you don't feel the blade as much. If you can't feel the blade as much, you don't know if it's doing the right thing or the wrong thing. Why would you not want to be aware of the sharp blade on your face? That's not protection. That's like keeping your eyes closed while parking the car, because you don't want to see how badly you're doing it....

I like this thread Al, nice work! :thumbup:
That's like keeping your eyes closed while parking the car, because you don't want to see how badly you're doing it....
:lol: That one nearly had the coffee on the screen.

So that's what they're doing... and I'd never realized it! I used to be an Advanced Driving tutor (one of my previous hobbies).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I like this thread Al, nice work! :thumbup:

:lol: That one nearly had the coffee on the screen.

So that's what they're doing... and I'd never realized it! I used to be an Advanced Driving tutor (one of my previous hobbies).

Thanks Cal :D A friend of mine used to be a driving instructor (not advanced driving) and had a few great stories to tell from it :p

The original Wanderer's Guide seems to have really helped some people make headway to improving their shaves. I've been really pleased with some of the feedback that's come back from it (both in the thread and via PM), and several newcomers have said that it's really helped them to overcome problems they were having.

Hopefully this will do the same to help people get that little bit further in their journey towards getting great shaves.

Thanks for this write-up especially the part about not making a huge foamy lather. It seems very counter-intuitive for newer shavers like myself. We assume that the more lather we put on that the more protection we will have and lowest risk of irritation but I can see your logic now and you are correct. Also I had not been putting enough water in my lather for a long time and I think its because the YouTube shaving celebrities often are using a dry lather. Also I thought a dryer lather would be "more protective" than a wet, thin lather.

So I had it all backwards. In fact I spoke badly about Proraso Red Tub and had a bad shave with it that gave me really bad neck irritation and a couple of weepers but I will revisit that soap this time being conscious to not over lather.

For over 2 years I was a bowl latherer and the reason why is because I felt that the foamy, voluminous lather I generated in a bowl was superior protection. I was wrong about that as well and have now switched 100% to face lathering and I have to remind myself that a nice thin slick lather is going to look more watery and transparent than what I normally thought a good lather "is supposed to look like". I thought a good protective lather would be consistency of hair moussee but that is not correct.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have tried shaving with a rich lather several times, and it can indeed feel quite lavish and luxurious - until you rinse it off. The reduced feel, awareness, and control always gives me a worse shave, both in terms of closeness and comfort. I can understand why some call it cushion or protection, because you don't feel the blade as much - but the flip side is, you don't feel the blade as much. If you can't feel the blade as much, you don't know if it's doing the right thing or the wrong thing. Why would you not want to be aware of the sharp blade on your face? That's not protection.

I completely agree with that Al.

A thick heavy lather may be a benefit to some when starting and learning as they'd be less apt to pay for mistakes made, but at the same time it hinders learning.

I'm not sure I'd want to shave with only water like @Dovo1695 has, water isnt slippery enough for me, but I have no doubt it can be done.

Top Bottom