What's new

Select Coticule

I am pretty sure I want a coti to add to my stones, i know there is a learning curve over the Naniwa SS's I am currently using but I think it's time to branch out.

Glad you enjoyed the coti edge from Jarrod! Friendly warning....those coticules are very, very addicting....They have a way of multiplying, my first turned into four in no time! I have to stay away from TSS, Jarrod has too many coticules that I think I need!

Good luck, have fun!

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed the coti edge from Jarrod! Friendly warning....those coticules are very, very addicting....They have a way of multiplying, my first turned into four in no time! I have to stay away from TSS, Jarrod has too many coticules that I think I need!

Good luck, have fun!

one's too many and a hundred ain't enough

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news Panther! Now as far as which size stone their are a few things to think about. Are you primarily a hand honer, or do you prefer to leave the stone on the bench? I like to hold the stone in my hand most of the time so I prefer longer thinner hones. My ideal is about 6 or 7 inches long and no wider than 2 1/2 inches with two inches being better. When it comes to bench hones it is all about how big can you afford. Smaller stones can be fine, but I do want something large enough to allow for comfortable X strokes. I don't have any heartburn with circles, but prefer to finish with X strokes.

Great news Panther! Now as far as which size stone their are a few things to think about. Are you primarily a hand honer, or do you prefer to leave the stone on the bench? I like to hold the stone in my hand most of the time so I prefer longer thinner hones. My ideal is about 6 or 7 inches long and no wider than 2 1/2 inches with two inches being better. When it comes to bench hones it is all about how big can you afford. Smaller stones can be fine, but I do want something large enough to allow for comfortable X strokes. I don't have any heartburn with circles, but prefer to finish with X strokes.

I rarely hand hone, I normally just stand at the sink or sit at the table with a spray bottle, I have my Naniwa's SS and after setting the bevel which I usually start with circles then combination of X strokes and regular strokes, don't normally count just watch the water/slurry line and try to decipher the feedback and then try to shave some arm hair before proceeding, by the time I get to my finisher (Apache) I pretty much do X-Strokes, maybe throw is some circles, the Apache seems to do the job and it's 140 X 70 and I don't feel like I am out of room and have to do lots of strokes, like i said I don'y normally count.

It would be nice to have an 8 X 3" coticule but stones that large command a large price so I am thinking in the 60-70 range on width and 130-140 on length

How exciting! My only hone is a coticule, which I'll admit I'm still a relative novice at using, but I'm sure you're going to love using one. They take some patience though :001_smile

My own one is a 50mm wide one, which is a great size for the Coticule.be hand-held method, but I do like the look of the massive ones to be able to bench hone. Lynn Abrams has a YouTube video where he is bench honing (very different method) on a massive slab of coticule (which must have cost a fortune). It looks much easier for the method he uses, which I struggle to replicate on my own. The size you're eyeing up sounds ideal.

I rarely hand hone, I normally just stand at the sink or sit at the table with a spray bottle, I have my Naniwa's SS and after setting the bevel which I usually start with circles then combination of X strokes and regular strokes, don't normally count just watch the water/slurry line and try to decipher the feedback and then try to shave some arm hair before proceeding, by the time I get to my finisher (Apache) I pretty much do X-Strokes, maybe throw is some circles, the Apache seems to do the job and it's 140 X 70 and I don't feel like I am out of room and have to do lots of strokes, like i said I don'y normally count.

It would be nice to have an 8 X 3" coticule but stones that large command a large price so I am thinking in the 60-70 range on width and 130-140 on length

Since you are already comfortable with 140 then I would stay in that range. Enough new stuff in learning a coti without adding any new variables.

Top Bottom