What's new

Segal Razor--I may have a solution...

Just picked up a real nice Segal razor the other day, which we all know by now takes proprietary blades that are no longer in manufacture. Folks have tried all sorts of mods to get these things to work, and none of them seem to have come out so well. The most workable solution for most folks was cutting out the interior of a modern blade using an original blade as a pattern. Well, if you look at them, the interior cut doesn't seem to matter much as long as it's large enough to actually fit onto the mounting block. As long as the set of tabs at the farthest ends of the slot are intact then you have the needed two points of contact already properly aligned. In theory this means that you don't really need to be so careful about how you cut up the inside of the blade as long as it's big enough.

Unfortunately I shaved the morning before I found the razor at an antique store, so it'll be a day or two before I can put it to the face test, but it seemed to perform fine shaving a couple of test patches on my arm and ankle. No alignment problems or differences in shaving sensation between the two different edges that I've been able to notice so far. I'll be picking up a hole punch today so I can cut out the inside of the blades without bending them.

Will report back when I've got whiskers again to test, but in the meantime maybe some of you fellows who also own these can give it a go? Just leave the most exterior set of tabs on the inside of the blade slot and cut out the rest!

I was able to get a Derby blade onto my Segal with no problems and once tightened down, the blade sat fine. Getting the blade back off of the razor, however, required snipping one end. Did shave with it and it was a nice shave. Now it rests in the display case with a pack of un-opened Segal blades.

FortyTwo --

'Silver Star' blades made by ASR have the cutout to fit this razor. The Silver Stars were one of the earlier Stainless Steel blades, marketed by ASR between '49 and '53. They were both individually wrapped or sold in a rather novel dispenser.

They shave rough by today's standards, but if you want some, drop me a PM and I'll send you a bunch, gratis. (A PIF to another B&B'er would be expected)

-- John Gehman

For those who may have no idea what the blades look like, below is a "modern" DE blade next to a Segal blade. Also shown is a tracing on the modern blade showing what would need to be removed to fit into a Segal razor(at least the two I own). These allow the razor blade to fit over the raised portion of the blade bed shown in the bottom photo.

FortyTwo --

'Silver Star' blades made by ASR have the cutout to fit this razor. The Silver Stars were one of the earlier Stainless Steel blades, marketed by ASR between '49 and '53. They were both individually wrapped or sold in a rather novel dispenser.

They shave rough by today's standards, but if you want some, drop me a PM and I'll send you a bunch, gratis. (A PIF to another B&B'er would be expected)

-- John Gehman

Thanks for the generous offer, but I think I'll pass. I'm all for figuring out a way to make modern blades fit though. :thumbup:

For those who may have no idea what the blades look like, below is a "modern" DE blade next to a Segal blade. Also shown is a tracing on the modern blade showing what would need to be removed to fit into a Segal razor(at least the two I own). These allow the razor blade to fit over the raised portion of the blade bed shown in the bottom photo.

It was actually your post of that pic in an old thread that made me realize that the exact shape of the center cutout didn't matter so much. It's the little end tabs that actually center the blade. I'll pick up a hole punch today to see if it works any easier than scissors, but for now it still takes less time than stropping a str8, so all I need to do is regrow some whiskers to confirm if the blade is well centered (which it seems to be!)

Thanks for the link, but I read in some of the old threads on this puppy that the NOS Segal blades haven't aged so well. If I'm going to spend the time to hone and strop a blade, I'm going to use one of my Dovos or Wade & Butchers. ;)

Thanks for the link, but I read in some of the old threads on this puppy that the NOS Segal blades haven't aged so well. If I'm going to spend the time to hone and strop a blade, I'm going to use one of my Dovos or Wade & Butchers. ;)

Yeah, that's why I said "for collecting". I bought my Segal razor for my collecting hobby so I wanted a pack of Segal blades to go along with it. I wouldn't dare try and shave with them. Ouch! :laugh:

Ok--I've now had the chance to use this puppy with modified blades several times and I can say that I LOVE IT! Seriously all you have to do is cut out everything except the last pair of internal tabs and it slides on fine and shaves well.

I'm not sure if it's a function of the razor itself (it's my first open comb) or using modern, thinner blades in it, but the Segal shaves more like a shavette/str8 in that you have much less degree of safety and you have to watch the angle a lot more. Also MAKE SURE YOU USE A SUPER LIGHT TOUCH! It's a hefty razor, and if you just let it plow through with its own weight then it can chow you up. You have to hold back on the reigns, so to speak. My first shave with it, as a result, was pretty hacked up. Once I got the hang of the razor, however, my shaves were a dream!

In short--don't let the whole proprietary blade thing hold you back! A pair of scissors is all that stands between you and using this fascinating and excellent razor. You don't even have to be careful with how you make the cut--just make it big enough and the end tabs will hold the blade straight. It's all up to you from there. :thumbup:

I recently picked up 10 boxes of NOS Segal blades on the bay. It certainly saves having to cut up standard blades.

I recently picked up 10 boxes of NOS Segal blades on the bay. It certainly saves having to cut up standard blades.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've read many times that NOS blades, at least of this age, aren't good for shaving as the edges have decayed/lost their sharpness. I know every NOS blade that's 40, 50, 60+ years old that I've tried to use, caused me to stop after that first pass because it pulled hard, yanked hard, tugged hard - it hurt!

Indeed. In all the accounts I've read of folks using NOS blades they've been forced to rehone/strop them. WAY more work than just cutting a haphazard hole in the middle. :D

Shaved with my Segal/snipped modern blades again tonight. Fan-freaking-tastic shave. Considering it only takes about 30 seconds to make the necessary cuts to convert the blade I think this is going to be one of my go-to razors in my rotation!:thumbup:

I recently got a nice Segal (off ebay) that was incorrectly listed. The dealer was very honourable and would have refunded and paid shipping BOTH WAYS! After reading this forum I decided to try doctoring a blade by crudely snapping out the centre of a Dorco (not my fave blade but had some from a sampler set). I can confirm that as long as you leave the ends of the centre opening intact it registers perfectly. The first morning I took all precautions, Praroso pre-shave and uber lather (soap, cream, glycerin) baby light touch and got a great shave. This morning I whipped up some (gasp) Noxema shave cream (I was given) by itself and went to town and got most probably the best shave ever. What can I say, not a great blade, low end product and second day on the blade, its got to be the razor! I've got a new EJ i like alot and a good selection of vintage Gillettes. My faves are the old open combs but this Segal beats them all. Great shaves, not a nick. I am amazed that it can be so different, there are two spots on either side of my adams apple that I've never been able to get, I'm sitting here at 12:00 and they are still less stubbly than after my normal shaves. I feel like trolling ebay for Segals and reselling them but I'd rather give you guys the heads up, I've got mine and only my RAD will (and it will) require me to buy more.

I'm going to investigate making a metal punch to simplify the doctoring process and wonder how many B&B members would be interested in blades if I figure it out. I wouldn't care about profit, if there was money in it someone would have done it long ago, just like to see these cool razors retain their usefulness.

I'm new to this forum so I have no clever avatar or signature but I'll end with this... until I found DE shaving I scheduled my life around when I could avoid shaving, now I shave everyday and look forward to it.

I recently got a nice Segal (off ebay) that was incorrectly listed. The dealer was very honourable and would have refunded and paid shipping BOTH WAYS! After reading this forum I decided to try doctoring a blade by crudely snapping out the centre of a Dorco (not my fave blade but had some from a sampler set). I can confirm that as long as you leave the ends of the centre opening intact it registers perfectly. The first morning I took all precautions, Praroso pre-shave and uber lather (soap, cream, glycerin) baby light touch and got a great shave. This morning I whipped up some (gasp) Noxema shave cream (I was given) by itself and went to town and got most probably the best shave ever. What can I say, not a great blade, low end product and second day on the blade, its got to be the razor! I've got a new EJ i like alot and a good selection of vintage Gillettes. My faves are the old open combs but this Segal beats them all. Great shaves, not a nick. I am amazed that it can be so different, there are two spots on either side of my adams apple that I've never been able to get, I'm sitting here at 12:00 and they are still less stubbly than after my normal shaves. I feel like trolling ebay for Segals and reselling them but I'd rather give you guys the heads up, I've got mine and only my RAD will (and it will) require me to buy more.

I'm going to investigate making a metal punch to simplify the doctoring process and wonder how many B&B members would be interested in blades if I figure it out. I wouldn't care about profit, if there was money in it someone would have done it long ago, just like to see these cool razors retain their usefulness.

I'm new to this forum so I have no clever avatar or signature but I'll end with this... until I found DE shaving I scheduled my life around when I could avoid shaving, now I shave everyday and look forward to it.

First, welcome to B&B!

I think you'd do better selling the punch than you would punched out blades. A heavy duty punch that can be hit with a hammer. I like my in-hand Segal, and have the first model on the way too. I'm also on the lookout for a solid bar guard Segal now that I know they exist. Using them of course has been an every now and then thing, when I feel like snipping on a blade.

Top Bottom