What's new

Seeking Shaving Brush Advise - Simpsons

OK thanks, so you're saying that if I use an almond size amount for the basic cheap pure badger (and that works very well) but I'm gonna need a lot more than that for the Chubby?

Why spend the money for a Simpson and get the Pure grade? The Best is just a bit more money but way more comfortable on the face. I made the mistake of buying the Simpson Special 1 in Pure as my first brush because it was cheap ($23 IIRC), and I ended up hating it. I then got the Commodore X3 in Best for a very reasonable $57 and it is silky smooth and lathers like a champ. The Chubby definitely has some lathering qualities, owing to its very dense knot, that set it apart from the rest of the Simpson line.

Edit: Scratch all that. I reread your post and now see that it looks like you were referring to your old brush in Pure grade. Sorry...as you were.....

I just ordered a Simpson Special Best and the travel case. Is this normal or have a early symptoms of some sort of brush fetish?

I have purchased the Chubby 1 in Super and the Special in Best. I haven't used the Special as yet.

I did buy the small Travel Tube but unfortunately it doesn't fit, despite the Simpson site stating otherwise. I have now cut down a salt container to suit but it's a bit loose.

20200121_154145.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am really surprised at that. As you say on the Simpson web site it is claimed that the Special will fit the smaller travel tube. The brush is listed as 92mm in length, and the tube as 92mm with the lid and 90mm without the lid. I wonder if the very tips of the brush are therefore intended to be contained within the body of the lid itself. Simpson are known to play fast and loose with their dimensions with some knots being much larger than claimed and some lofts being higher than advertised. Nevertheless, I would expect that brush to fit and yours looks a good few mm too long.

I had exactly the same issue my special brush which I thought was quite annoying especially as you pointed out Simpson’s state it fits the smaller travel. The badger hair coming through the hole in the middle. I sold the special brush for what I paid and bought a Duke 1 which fits perfect in the small Simpson tube. It worked out well as I much prefer the Duke 1 over the Special brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received my brush yesterday, have shaved twice and lathered up with it three times. Can anyone share their experience so far as a running in period? The first lather was disappointing, and the subsequent two have been slightly better. Do I need to adjust my technique for this brush ie, start with a wet face or use more soap. Or do I just have to let the brush settle in? Thanks.
I found with my Simpson Special that it has gotten better over the last month or so of use. Mine is in best badger and it was a bit scratchy at first but has really softened up and now is a lather monster.
It may be a small brush by modern standards but all I do is load it up for about 15 seconds and it still makes plenty of lather.

I have a Chubby 2 in super. I can't tell you enough how much I love the face feel. It's really excellent. It is a silly huge knot. I'll find a Chubby 1 in super someday.

I have purchased the Chubby 1 in Super and the Special in Best. I haven't used the Special as yet.

I did buy the small Travel Tube but unfortunately it doesn't fit, despite the Simpson site stating otherwise. I have now cut down a salt container to suit but it's a bit loose.

View attachment 1054781

You might try a pill bottle from your local pharmacy. I got one that fits my travel brush perfectly, then I drilled a few holes in the top and bottom to aid drying.

I've got a Case Pure coming in a couple of days, I'll give the Special to one of my boys.

I did try a couple of pharmacies but they seem to do the style of pill bottles required anymore. I did cut up an empty salt container that looked like it would work, but the Case was cheap enough so I went that way instead.

Top Bottom