What's new

Seeking Shaving Brush Advise - Simpsons

I think on that Australian website the Classic 1 is already very expensive at US$102
I know that here in the states, the Classic 1 is around $90, so it isnt very cheap here either. Thats why I went with the Special, its a much cheaper brush, although it is small. I find for face lathering it works just fine though. Simpsons arent cheap but they are one heck of a brush.

I know the handle indicates otherwise, but the brush on the right sure looks like a boar to me.

Regarding Simpson brushes, my two hands-down favorites for face lathering are the Commodore X3 Best (24mm) and the Duke 3 Best (23mm). Most of the Simpsons mentioned in the OP and throughout this thread are in the 19-21mm range, which I consider very small....especially for someone with larger hands. At $59 shipped to your door, the Commodore X3 Best is one of the best values in badger brushes that I’ve come across. I can’t recommend it enough.

I haven't heard much of the Tulip but it looks like a nice brush - not available locally however. I am torn between the Chubby 1 and the Commodore X1 so I'll likely go with the X1 based on it being slightly less than half price.

Here are a couple more photos of my current A0S Silvertip Handmade. I assumed that the hair was supposed to lose colour over time. The brush certainly is not as nice as it once was.

20200113_082541.jpg

20200113_082525.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I haven't heard much of the Tulip but it looks like a nice brush - not available locally however. I am torn between the Chubby 1 and the Commodore X1 so I'll likely go with the X1 based on it being slightly less than half price.

Here are a couple more photos of my current A0S Silvertip Handmade. I assumed that the hair was supposed to lose colour over time. The brush certainly is not as nice as it once was.

View attachment 1052119

View attachment 1052120
I have never seen a badger brush of any hair grade, by any manufacturer, look like that regardless of age. I have owned and used many badger brushes, often several decades old and none resembled that knot. Some boar knots are dyed with stripes to resemble badger and possibly those could fade. If I came across that I would assume it had been re knotted and possibly bleached or otherwise mistreated. Enjoy the Commodore 👍

I have never seen a badger brush of any hair grade, by any manufacturer, look like that regardless of age. I have owned and used many badger brushes, often several decades old and none resembled that knot. Some boar knots are dyed with stripes to resemble badger and possibly those could fade. If I came across that I would assume it had been re knotted and possibly bleached or otherwise mistreated. Enjoy the Commodore 👍

I purchased this brush new at The Art of Shaving, Mandalay Place, Las Vegas.

I haven't heard much of the Tulip but it looks like a nice brush - not available locally however. I am torn between the Chubby 1 and the Commodore X1 so I'll likely go with the X1 based on it being slightly less than half price...
Maybe that shop can order something for you? The Chubby 1 is the right size knot and the handle would be a bit small, but probably OK. The Commodore X1 may be just too small for you. Try and see them in person, I think that will help.

Last edited:
You are looking at some good options!

I face lather (mostly) hard soaps and prefer 20-24 mm knots. For me Simpson’s pure has too much scritch. Their best can be variable, but is often very good and their super grade is the top end of their best. Other grades must be ordered directly from Simpsons.

Of the brushes you are considering, I would go for the Chubby or the Classic. I enjoy both of these options!

Thank you all for your help with this. I started at the Chubby and that is where I have finished. I ordered the Chubby 1 last night in Super.

Good choice. I hope you enjoy your brush.

My first Simpson was a Duke 3 and my last purchase was a Chubby 2, both in Best. I prefer larger brushes so the Chubby 2 is one of my favorite brushes.

I received my brush yesterday, have shaved twice and lathered up with it three times. Can anyone share their experience so far as a running in period? The first lather was disappointing, and the subsequent two have been slightly better. Do I need to adjust my technique for this brush ie, start with a wet face or use more soap. Or do I just have to let the brush settle in? Thanks.

EclipseRedRing

I received my brush yesterday, have shaved twice and lathered up with it three times. Can anyone share their experience so far as a running in period? The first lather was disappointing, and the subsequent two have been slightly better. Do I need to adjust my technique for this brush ie, start with a wet face or use more soap. Or do I just have to let the brush settle in? Thanks.
Nothing special required, soak the bristles for a few minutes then shake dry. Wet the face and load the brush from the puck or apply some cream in your preferred method. Then either bowl or face lather as you wish dipping the tips if necessary to add water. Many lathering problems are resolved by using more soap or cream and the Chubby will use plenty, and I mean plenty! Stick at it as it will be worth it.

EclipseRedRing

Nothing special required, soak the bristles for a few minutes then shake dry. Wet the face and load the brush from the puck or apply some cream in your preferred method. Then either bowl or face lather as you wish dipping the tips if necessary to add water. Many lathering problems are resolved by using more soap or cream and the Chubby will use plenty, and I mean plenty! Stick at it as it will be worth it.

OK thanks, so you're saying that if I use an almond size amount for the basic cheap pure badger (and that works very well) but I'm gonna need a lot more than that for the Chubby?

EclipseRedRing

The Chubby brushes I have used have certainly benefited from using more product compared to some others simply because of their density. Ultimately most soaps and creams are relatively inexpensive and many of us have enough for several lifetimes. I would start with double the usual amount and go from there. A bit of experimentation may be needed to dial it in. Good luck.

The Chubby is dense, so maybe your cream is getting lost in there. Have you tried applying the cream to your wet face first, then working the lather up with the brush?

That is how I have always done it, cream applied to dry face straight after a shower - brush soaked in shaving mug filled with warm water for five or ten, then excess water shaken out and start working the cream.

i use soaps. i shake about 50% of the water out of the brush, then load on the puck of soap for 30 seconds or so. then a go to the face and make lather. usually works well for me. i hope this helps.

Top Bottom