What's new

Seeking recommendations for the daily shaver in a hurry

When I was commuting, I simply did from my sideburns down, with a cart or disposable, saving the rest for my electric on my hour plus road trip.

If todays skill met with yesteryear’s need, I would be using a high quality cream and 2 passes with the DE in under 10mins with either R89 or ASD2

Many answers have been written, and its unlikely mine will came as a streak of Eureka! lightning, but I'll chime in with what works for me.

When I'm running late or otherwise pressed for time, I reach for my 1964 Gillette Slim adjustable. That amazing little razor is a No Fuss, No Muss little workhorse. And if you are still relatively new to wet shaving, an adjustable may be just the ticket. Vintage razors also appeal to me as a piece of history; that may also appeal to you if carts are too bland for your tastes now.

The Slim coupled with some Van Der Hagen Shave Butter and I can shave in no time flat.

I can shave pretty well under 5 mins with face lathering, pass one with my DE Super Click Flexball and pass two with DE/AC/injector pretty easy.

Back to the office this week, so let’s see how I do on time with just DE, been taking my time for the past few weeks.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
A two pass shave takes me about 5 minutes. It might take you a little longer in the beginning, but you'll get there. If you're honest with yourself the only difference between 4:25 and 4:30 is psychological. You might want to consider your entire morning routine and see if there is another place to pick up 5 minutes. Lay your clothes out the night before, try overnight oats for breakfast, etc. I wouldn't recommend rushing your shaves at this point. I'll bet you can find a better place for a little more organization. Don't bleed - that will speed things up.

Avoiding any blood letting is definitely faster. Time with Alum and styptic slow down the finish. Some of the hints here seem to be helping. I can get 2 passes with face lathering done in about 10 minutes, and I think there are further time savings to be had with improvement in technique.

I can shave pretty well under 5 mins with face lathering, pass one with my DE Super Click Flexball and pass two with DE/AC/injector pretty easy.

Back to the office this week, so let’s see how I do on time with just DE, been taking my time for the past few weeks.
Thank you. I have found face lathering to be a useful time saver. I am now doing two passes and done in about 10 minutes. Definite progress!

Many answers have been written, and its unlikely mine will came as a streak of Eureka! lightning, but I'll chime in with what works for me.

When I'm running late or otherwise pressed for time, I reach for my 1964 Gillette Slim adjustable. That amazing little razor is a No Fuss, No Muss little workhorse. And if you are still relatively new to wet shaving, an adjustable may be just the ticket. Vintage razors also appeal to me as a piece of history; that may also appeal to you if carts are too bland for your tastes now.

The Slim coupled with some Van Der Hagen Shave Butter and I can shave in no time flat.
Thank you. While I don't have a vintage Gilette Fatboy or Slim yet, I am looking! Perhaps after I fully conquer my Henson.

I am a Newb to DE shaving, but have been cartridge wet shaving for almost 50 years. My morning routine is always hurried as I try to get to work. With a cartridge razor, I could fling the blade across my face with reckless abandon without paying a penalty in skin and blood. I have noticed that DE shaving requires me to be more deliberate to avoid bloodshed. I shower immediately before shaving, and use a brush and quality cream like Taylor of Bond Street or Trumper. I am looking for any hints or recommendations about how to get the fastest, safest shave daily as I rush to off work. Thanks in advance.

Since you have time for a shower and you are in a rush,
then the shower is the right place to do it.

If I am in a rush and I have time for a shower,
I use any bar soap to soap my face.
It doesn't dry out in the shower.

No shave brush, no mirror.

This may be blasphemy to others here but when I'm trying to save time I go straight to tubed creams... And there are some very good ones around. Skips the brush, bowl and associated cleanup. Still get a good shave in about 5 min less. (anymore.. To simplify what I am packing, I take a tube of cream when I travel, too)

Schick injector, perhaps a G or J model. Flickable, very cartridge-like feel, no technique required, and the best shave possible. Use Chinese Schick blades, in the yellow package, for fantastic results. As easy as it gets. And used canned foam for an even faster shave.
I have had my eye on the Supply SE injector. Do you think that would do as well?

Thank you. I have found face lathering to be a useful time saver. I am now doing two passes and done in about 10 minutes. Definite progress!
Face lathering saves time in 2 ways: a bit less cleanup, and you're saturating your beard while building lather.

Sounds as of if you're figuring the rest out. Good on ya!

... Thom

I was in the same situation. I love a straight razor shave but there is simply no time on a weekday morning. Construction starts early. For a while I was shaving at night but I was missing the freshly shaved feeling in the afternoon and evening.

With an efficient razor like a Blackland Blackbird or Blackland Vector I can get the whole routine down to 5-10 minutes. I can squeeze that in before I have to head out the door. Two passes with a razor like that is enough. Splash your face, rub in a dab of cream and face lather with a good quality synthetic like a Mühle STF. Clean up is a quick rinse and towel dry of the razor and brush. Simplify your decision making by using the same thing every day. Pre-load blades the night before. Leave the hobby for the weekends.

Thank you for the feedback. That is where I am mostly headed, I think. Why do you suggest using a synthetic brush as opposed to a badger or boar bristle brush? I have been using a Simpson Commodore badger bristle brush.

Thank you for the feedback. That is where I am mostly headed, I think. Why do you suggest using a synthetic brush as opposed to a badger or boar bristle brush? I have been using a Simpson Commodore badger bristle brush.
The brush won’t make too much difference. I’m less precious with my synths. I’ll take my time to throughly rinse and dry a badger but I’m quite happy to abuse a synth. They don’t seem to mind a little rough treatment. A quick rinse and shake is all they get post shave. A towel dry if they’re lucky. Definitely no pre-shave soak. Synths may be a little quicker lathering too.

The brush won’t make too much difference. I’m less precious with my synths. I’ll take my time to throughly rinse and dry a badger but I’m quite happy to abuse a synth. They don’t seem to mind a little rough treatment. A quick rinse and shake is all they get post shave. A towel dry if they’re lucky. Definitely no pre-shave soak. Synths may be a little quicker lathering too.
You don't even need to rinse your synths. Leave em and add a little more cream the next day and go. Or wash em out at night it you like.

Number one is grab one of your autopilot razors. You’re easiest to use with no bloodletting or irritation. I would recommend a flare tip SuperSpeed. Being in a hurry does not lend itself to a lightsaber.

I would also recommend using a brushless shaving cream with corresponding pre-shave. For example… Proraso red pre-shave with a tube of Prosaso red shaving cream or Cremo sandalwood. I also like Noxzema Protective Shave with Cremo refreshing mint.

No brush… no bowl… you can get done in a similar timeframe to cartridge shaving.

Once done, use a little more of the pre-shave as a post-shave. Wipe off any excess gently with a washcloth, and you are done.
9637D454-6C6E-47FB-82E9-D8D1D6669D8D.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom