What's new

SE vs DE. What is the difference?

So I have been shaving DE consistently for the part 5 plus years.

I recently saw a Blackland Sabre and fell in love with it.

I have the Blackbird and is currently my favorite. Any insight would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The main difference between DE and SE is the blade rigidity, SEs are loved cause they thend to provide a smoother shave and the blades hold sharp a lot longer than DEs because of the backbone a thicker blade provides, they also tend to be more angle forgiving and the heaviness of the razor/blade combo makes for less effort when it comes to letting the razor do the work, that is said based on my experience, I am sure there are plenty of guys with more/better info, I would suggest you hop over to the SE forum and they will help you even more

Thank you. I will post the same question there.

In your option might an SE make a better daily driver?

It can definately make a daily driver, but I wouldnt call it better bacause that would depend on preference, I own a Gem featherweight and is fantastic, but the reason is not my daily driver is that I don't get as close of a shave as I do with DE, some say the beauty of SE comes on the against the grain pass, and I don't do against the grain because for some reason, my face does not feel irritated and no sting with the AS, but the next day I develop sort of a rash, so DEs always get me closer

I have both DEs and SEs. I prefer DE because of the availability of blades. However, both can give you a great shave.

I also prefer DEs for same availability reasons. I also find them cheaper even if I get more shaves on a SE blade.

Perhaps I’m just set in my ways. I like DE razor shaving better. But it’s fun to have variety.

So the Blackland Sabre using GEM blades. Thoughts on those and what brands to consider?

Gem stainless are good blades, I find Pal carbon are sharper, but they requiere to dry them after the shave or they will rust, but I dont mind since I dont shave often with my SE

I prefer DE because I can ‘flip’ the razor and use both sides! Also, I started with DE back in the day! YMMV.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I found the SE less forgiving. If you are not careful it gives you nicks easily. But I suppose that’s any razor blade. DE is my choice. But I don’t think I own a SE anymore.

So the Blackland Sabre using GEM blades. Thoughts on those and what brands to consider?

I get my Gem blades from Ted Pella, with the PFTE coating. I used to know the model number, but I can't remember anymore.

By the way, I use and enjoy both the Blackbird (open comb) and Sabre L2. On my face, the Blackbird is much more efficient with much more blade feel. As efficiency is paramount to me, I much prefer the Blackbird.

I have, and use, both DEs and SEs regularly. Both have their pros and cons, but I find myself reaching for the SEs more and more these days. Their biggest advantage for me is the blade rigidity, which really comes into its own when going ATG on the neck. An SE just mows down that toughest of stubble without any resistance, whereas some DEs need a bit more attention to get the same result. The slightest bit of blade chatter from a DE in this area and I’m in strife.

The head can be a bit awkward to manoeuvre in some areas, but you get there in the end.

I can’t speak to the specific razor you have your eye on as I almost exclusively go vintage now, but I can say that my Gem MicroMatic Open Comb and Ever Ready Natural Angle (~Gem FeatherWeight) are two of the three closest shavers in my collection.

Over the past three weeks I've picked up three GEM razors for a total of $30. A member sent me some blades to use. I picked up an amazing Golden 500 Schick. All three have provided a different experience, but one thing they have in common is to provide a very efficient result. No shaving aficionado/enthusiast should go without experiencing these fine tools and especially since quality blade are readily accessible.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I much prefer DE over SE. I have tried a few SE razors and I find them to be too harsh for me. I will have a go of an SE while I am on holidays but I normally find when I use them that I get too many nicks and quite a lot of razor burn. YMMV as always.

I much prefer DE over SE. I have tried a few SE razors and I find them to be too harsh for me. I will have a go of an SE while I am on holidays but I normally find when I use them that I get too many nicks and quite a lot of razor burn. YMMV as always.

Have you used a "j" type Schick injector? If so, never mind, but if not, these are very pleasant and efficient.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
No I don't think so. I will have a look. I did start a thread in the SE section when I was having trouble back in April. From memory the injector that I was using shaves better with twin blades instead of the usual one blade. I tried a GEM heirloom razor but that was horrendous. The blade corners were outside of the holding pins and I kept on cutting myself on the blade corner edges.

No I don't think so. I will have a look. I did start a thread in the SE section when I was having trouble back in April. From memory the injector that I was using shaves better with twin blades instead of the usual one blade. I tried a GEM heirloom razor but that was horrendous. The blade corners were outside of the holding pins and I kept on cutting myself on the blade corner edges.
Please find my recent thread regard a Schick Golden 500 aka type j. It would not cost you much to try something similar out if you get interested. While I love my DE tools, I find then GEM and Injectors worth the trouble of learning to use. The shave angle for me to get a smooth cut is very different.

Top Bottom