What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

Leaf Thorn - Feather 1/2 blade (2)

IMG-DSC_6163 (2).JPG

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday SE shave, May 19th 2024

Razor : Yaqi Excalibur SE 50mm AC type with a Yaqi Milano 316 SSP handle. Mfg 2021>, tame mid range. Simple blade clamping system that works well + small head parts that make it nimble to wield on the beard area. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Schick proline(4) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity for a AC blade.
Soap : Razorock XXX, nice unique scent that usually puts a smile on my face + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Ever helpful" 22 mm 2band badger. Excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, firm nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. If a person likes a nice scrub this brush is worth taking a look at IMO, Yaqi shortened the loft + has dense knot.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Excalibur SE with a Schick proline blade.(forgot to sure the proline box)
SOTD May 19 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Sunday Morning Shave Salutations

Great shave using the Century No. 3 Brush and Le Pere Lucien. The Durham Duplex Razor
although technically a DE, given the head and handle geometry, it can only be used as a
Single Edge. I tried to use the other side and it was like shaving backwards and upside down.
So for the purposes of this thread, I'm considering it an SE.

Durham Duplex Razor
Personna Lab Specimen Blade (1X)
Le Pere Lucien Cologne-Fougere Soap
Vintage Century No. 3 Boar Brush
Citrus Musk Splash On

BRUT Aftershave

D9C2507E-3742-4647-A457-88FFBBBFBE9F-compressed.jpeg

20240518_081633.jpg

Razor: Schick G6 injector razor
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Shavemac Model 82 Blue & Gold Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Truefitt & Hill Grafton
Aftershave: Truefitt and Hill Grafton Aftershave Balm
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, May 20th 2024

Razor : Gem Junior bar lather catcher with stropping attachment inside handle. Mfg 1907-11, mild to tame mid range. A very nice Gem lather catcher that most folks could use with not much issues IMO. They are built well and where used a lot by folks who loved the way they shaved are my thoughts for that time period. Make sure blade stops are in good shape if you come across one in the wild. This little razor has brought a lot of decent shaving and caught my interests early in my wonderings into traditional wet shaving. One of my better buys IMO. Had a close comfortable shave this morning to start the day off.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Razorock XXX, very enjoyable unique scented soap that has excellent lather properties.
Brush : Yaqi "Ferrari" 24mm boar bristle knot. Excellent lather generator, soft split end boar bristle hairs, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter.

Scuttle: My wife picked this up at a estate sale and it is interesting shaving oddity when looking and using it but it is not for my preferences to use in my shaving routine. This is what they used back well over 100 years ago and soap bars where smaller and they would soak the (Boar) brush in the bottom part and dip tips for needed water for thinner lather wants in this little scuttle and operator would brush load the from the top are also my thoughts.
I think the person who designed it must of had a full grown beard and did not think what a person shaving needs where. Back then in those times brush knots where smaller and water was usually drawn from the well, are my thinking and water warmed up on the cooking stove kettle and poured in side the vessel.
Hot water tanks where not available and only the rich might have some way of hot water availably with maids or butlers serving them??
So I had to give it a try and see how practical these scuttles where back around the 1800's- 1900's. Todays scuttles are larger and more practical because we have running hot water plumped in to most homes. Any ways just sharing some thoughts from the past shaving products.

Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX with with hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Gem Junior bar razor with a coated Gem bar.
SOTD May 20 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom