What's new

SE - Schick Injectors

Injectors are a type of Single Edge razor that I believe Schick pretty much cornered the market on. I believe that I've seen that Gillette did try making an injector but pretty much backed out quickly seeing that they couldn't compete with Schick on this field. I know there is a site that breaks down all the Schick injectors into types but I don't have the link. I'll have to find it and post it here too.

Calling all injector lovers out there. Let's here about your experiences and tips.

I just received a Schick Adjustable with some Schick blades. After using double edge blades I was curious about the SE razors. I was very impressed by the shave I got and how smooth the blades are. I have a Schick injector coming soon and hope to find help identifing the model once I get it. This is still very hard for me with the Schick injectors. I also want to try a Pal adjustable and saw a Gem G bar that I may put my hands on.

I have a Schick Injector type I1. I have yet to get any blades for it yet, but it sure did clean up nice. It was my grandfathers and I believe I dated it to around 1958. I will need to order some injector blades from either Ted Pella or EMS (emsdiasum).

I used one in the '70s and if I remember rightly it was excellent. They have been very difficult to get hold of lately in the UK but obviously available online. I may try one again, I am curious. Can anyone recommend a good supplier??

I have my Father's J-1, a J-3 Golden 500 and an L-1, which is the same type I learned to shave with. There is a lot of Injector love on this site.

Here are some pics of the injector that I inherited from my grandfather:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have a Schick Injector type I1. I have yet to get any blades for it yet, but it sure did clean up nice. It was my grandfathers and I believe I dated it to around 1958. I will need to order some injector blades from either Ted Pella or EMS (emsdiasum).

You can get Schick blades from Amazon. They are good blades.

I think you can get 20 blades for <$5 from either Ted Pella or EMS. I'm not sure what shipping is though.

Here are a couple of pictures of Gillette's only attempt at the Injector market: The Gillette Twinjector. I don't think it was marketed very long, as Gillette's then new Trac II gained a ton of momentum at the start of the 1970s. The Twinjector was designed to use a twin bladed Injector blade (which Schick also sold during this era), but could be used with any standard Injector blade. I own one, and find it to be excessively mild.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here are a couple of pictures of Gillette's only attempt at the Injector market: The Gillette Twinjector. I don't think it was marketed very long, as Gillette's then new Trac II gained a ton of momentum at the start of the 1970s. The Twinjector was designed to use a twin bladed Injector blade (which Schick also sold during this era), but could be used with any standard Injector blade. I own one, and find it to be excessively mild.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Boy, you can REALLY see the roots of the original Gillette Trac II in that handle, can't you?

Boy, you can REALLY see the roots of the original Gillette Trac II in that handle, can't you?

I haven't done enough research to know when the Gillette Twinjector debuted, but yes, the handle design does look identical to that of the Trac II. They may have been marketed at the exact same time. The Gillette Trac II came out in 1971.

I am also not sure why Gillette cheaped out on the head: the head is mostly metal, but the safety bar is black plastic like the handle.

Excessively mild compared to what? Other injectors or even compared to something like a Gillette Tech?

Speaking of which, note what they called at least some of their twin injector blades. There is a C date code on this magazine, making it from 1982.

proxy.php

Excessively mild compared to what? Other injectors or even compared to something like a Gillette Tech?

Like Michiganlover, I find it too mild compared to other injectors, when used with a regular single injector blade. I found that with a twin blade (which are vintage only) it actually shaved very well. Had the same experience using these blades with the types L and N Schicks.

Before you go out looking for the vintage twin blades, you should know that I've never seen anyone else around here put in a good word for them. For me, they improve the shave of some of the too mild injector models, although they won't fit every model. They last a long time (I've gotten up to fifteen shaves with one), and rinse out easily. Other people claim that they are a useless gimmick, that they clog up and can't be rinsed out. I know what my experience has been, but YMMV, as they say. I've tried the Schick and Gillette varieties, and have some Personnas I haven't gotten to yet.

On the subject of who made injector razors, there were ASR ones made with the Pal and Personna trademarks. The Personna floating head injector might be my favorite out of those.

I don't have a single clear favorite among injectors as a whole, but I think it would be hard to beat the value of my E1. Just the right level of aggression for me, using a standard blade.

I have used Gillette and Personna twinjector blades and I found that they both felt rough and clogged easily. It was next to impossible to get the gunk/hair from between the blades.

Also, a little bit of information on Pal adjustable razors vs. Schick adjustable razors: According to advertisements I have seen for Pal adjustable razors they were listed as being the only adjustable razor. This has lead me to believe that the Pal adjustable was made before the Schick adjustable injector. Anyone has any manufacture dates on the two adjustable injectors?

Here is a nice ad taken from Ebony Magazine (Magazine was published in December 1962). Note that it clearly states that the Pal is the only adjustable injector. (Third little picture with Brains! in bold type) I can only pin the Schick adjustable down to 1968. Looks like they beat Schick to it?! :

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom