What's new

Schick Injector I2 Hydro Magic Lever Not Staying Closed

I have an I2 Schick Injector and the hydro magic lever has issues staying closed. After a few tries it will finally shut but I feel like I can’t touch the lever at all or it will spring back open. The joint was a little corroded so it may have been worn out. Besides this issue, the blade is tight and it loads injectors just fine when fully closed. I’m considering soldering or epoxying it shut so it’ll stay closed without worry. I didn’t plan on using the hydro magic function and I basically got it for free so I’m not too worried about messing it up a little to use it worry free. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, were you able to fix it? Thank you! I’ll post pics when I can.

Pics:

IMG_5065.jpeg
IMG_5066.jpeg
IMG_5068.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_5069.jpeg

At this point the latch won’t stay shut at all so my plan is to get everything properly oriented and then clamp the lever down with a zip tie. Next I will solder the lever down or just use epoxy if that doesn’t work. Basically I’ll have to deactivate the hydro magic mechanism which sucks but given the age of the razor I’m not really shocked. I’m going to try and keep it as clean as I can so it doesn’t look like garbage. As long as it still works I’ll be happy!

Before you go using a zip tie or soldering, try soaking it in Dawn or a dishwashing detergent with your hottest tap water a couple times. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner you could use that too with hot water & Dawn. Your description of this just happening sounds like a build up of soap scum. At least it’s a good shot for a cure.

Before you go using a zip tie or soldering, try soaking it in Dawn or a dishwashing detergent with your hottest tap water a couple times. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner you could use that too with hot water & Dawn. Your description of this just happening sounds like a build up of soap scum. At least it’s a good shot for a cure.
I thought so too but I’m almost sure it’s due to that rounded camming surface being worn and I’ve already cleaned it multiple times with dawn, hot water, and scrubbing bubbles. I think cleaning may have actually made it harder to keep closed since the corrosion and soap scum added material to that area. When I have more time I’ll try cleaning it again with special attention to that area but if I can’t get it to latch after that, I’ll go ahead and try to fix it. The good thing about solder is it’s removable if I do a good job so there’s not a huge amount of risk.

Last edited:
Instead of putting all that time into it, just pick up another. They’re quite common. Even post in the BST for a Want to Buy.
Honestly I can agree with you but I enjoy trying to fix stuff. I’ll probably pick up a newer one soon but since I got it thrown in with a Type N I was getting at local antique mall I figured I would make the best of it. One day there won’t be as many nice ones out there and I want to make sure there’s a way to keep these razors working after the mechanism wears out.

I gave it another cleaning but the latch still springs right back when closed so I decided to solder where the cam connects to the spring. I used a dulled blade as a blank and got the head in the right position and tied a zip tie around the neck to hold down the lever. I didn’t do as good of a job as I would like but it can be hard to get the solder to go where you want sometimes. Not perfect but it’s now solid as I can make it while keeping it clean.

IMG_5079.jpeg
IMG_5080.jpeg
IMG_5081.jpeg
IMG_5085.jpeg
IMG_5088.jpeg
IMG_5089.jpeg

If I run into any issues I’ll update the thread but otherwise I think it’ll work out! Hope this helps anyone else who has a worn out hydro magic injector.

I’m almost sure it’s due to that rounded camming surface being worn
I agree 100%.

I like the Hydro-magic function for rinsing. My I2 and my various type Es are my preferred Schick injectors thanks to the short well-designed handles.

I'm glad you made the fix, that I2 will give great shaves with a new lease on life. I have only seen one decent I2 in several years of wild razor hunting. Lots of Gs and a fair number of Es.

I agree 100%.

I like the Hydro-magic function for rinsing. My I2 and my various type Es are my preferred Schick injectors thanks to the short well-designed handles.

I'm glad you made the fix, that I2 will give great shaves with a new lease on life. I have only seen one decent I2 in several years of wild razor hunting. Lots of Gs and a fair number of Es.
I just hope repeated blade changes don’t stress the solder too much, I just put a fresh one in and it seems to work perfectly but there will be more tension on the spring when the key is holding the razor open.

Yeah hunting for razors in person is pretty tough! I saw a few other razors that were so janky they weren’t worth the price even if I cleaned them. The Type N I got and this Type I looked pretty bad but at least they had their functionality and I wanted an injector anyways. They both cleaned up well with only some plating damage since they had a bunch of green corrosion on them. Hot water, Dawn, and repeated use of scrubbing bubbles worked really well. I should’ve taken some before and after pics tbh.

Used it this morning WTG on my neck (I usually only neck shave) and it was good to go. Really nice shaver actually! I used a Chinese Schick blade. I’ll update this thread in the future if anything changes.

Top Bottom