What's new

Scuttles and Hot Lather

Hello Everyone,

I'm a scuttle user (Dirty Bird 1.5 to be exact), and love the warm lather. Someone mentioned that some soaps/creams don't stand up well to the heat, and I was wondering what others' experience with that might be. Are there soaps/creams that seem to "enjoy" the warmth of a scuttle and some which fade quicker with heat? What say ye?

B

I use a Robt Becker and was considering a G5 from georgetown pottery. It seems all the soaps and creams I've used break down due to the heat. So I only use the hot water from the faucet. I have my hot water heater turned up so when I run it for a moment or two it starts to steam. I would not put it in the microwave. Also, I make my own soaps & creams and I have the cream really loaded with tallow, so it gets really thick but takes alot more cream to acheive it. But it's well worth it in the end, because I get this really thick uberlather like lather. I only make 2 passes so it holds up.

This is the advantage of high-capacity scuttles. They can keep sensible temperature water warm for a long time.
Whereas a small reservoir means you need to use very hot water to push back the time when it gets cold.

Putting a cloth or insulating mat under the scuttle should help its performance a lot.

+1 on the hot water from the tap. I've found that having the water too hot will break down the lather, even water too hot from the tap.

i used my DB 1.5 for the first time this morning.......... very very nice... but the heat killed the lather........ *(i used steaming hot water off the stove...) along with TOBS cream+soap....

but i got a really nice shave...

I boil a tea kettle , fill skutttle and lather bowl all stacked ( db brush skuttle and bill bowl ) put tea kettle down . go take a shower , come back dump water refill from cooled but still hot kettle but water has cooled considerably , the skuttle gets hot and I really dont have to worry about heat breakdown

I used to start out with near-boiling water from the kettle, or microwave, but lately I've found that if I use very hot tap water right before the shave, that works best for me. I fill the scuttle before my shower, dunk the brush in the soaking reservoir, after I'm done showering, I refresh the hot water in the scuttle and get warm lather for the whole shave.

+1+1+1+1

I, like many, used to boil water then pour it into my scuttles. Lately I have been putting the scuttle down in the sink of hot water so that it warms up (inside and outside) with my brush resting in the scuttle (which is under water).

I pour the sink water out of the scuttle reservoir and refill it with fresh HOT water from the tap then cork it up, wipe it off, and put it on a towel on the counter.

This gives me the best balance between warm lather and longevity of the lather in the scuttle. I still have to swirl between passes but, hey, I have always done that anyway so no difference. The only difference is that the lather does not break down from the excessive heat and I still have a warm luxurious lather.

I do that also BUT... I still use a (brush) scuttle in the winter to keep the brush/lather warm between passes :001_tt2:

Water coming out of the faucet in the winter is right around 50° which is way too cold to be comfortable for me.

I use the same "warming technique" with both my lather and brush scuttles.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a G5, and fill it with pipinig hot water from a kettle into both reservoirs, plug it, and leave it sit with my shave brush soaking while I shower. When my shower is done, I dump out the top reservoir, and begin mixing my shave cream. While the cream is sitting and absorbing the heat, I get my shaving setup ready (my shave stuff is mostly put away all the time below the sink to save space), which takes a few minutes. By the time I'm ready to lather my face, the lather is comfortably warm.

I do that also BUT... I still use a (brush) scuttle in the winter to keep the brush/lather warm between passes :001_tt2:

Water coming out of the faucet in the winter is right around 50° which is way too cold to be comfortable for me.

I use the same "warming technique" with both my lather and brush scuttles.

I do the same thing. But I find that I can actually get the water fairly hot when using a soap stick, per my link.

+1+1+1+1

I, like many, used to boil water then pour it into my scuttles. Lately I have been putting the scuttle down in the sink of hot water so that it warms up (inside and outside) with my brush resting in the scuttle (which is under water).

I pour the sink water out of the scuttle reservoir and refill it with fresh HOT water from the tap then cork it up, wipe it off, and put it on a towel on the counter.

This gives me the best balance between warm lather and longevity of the lather in the scuttle. I still have to swirl between passes but, hey, I have always done that anyway so no difference. The only difference is that the lather does not break down from the excessive heat and I still have a warm luxurious lather.

I've never used boiling water, only tap water, and, like you, do a pre-heat up during shower.

I like what's happening, and do swirl between passes. I guess I just wondered if anyone had noticed any differences among the soaps and creams, whether any had better survival rates. Going for the trade-off of the warmth on the one hand, and the efficiency of the lather on the other.

Thanks for all of the replies so far!

B

+1 on the hot water from the tap. I've found that having the water too hot will break down the lather, even water too hot from the tap.

I have also found this as well. I put my mug in the sink after a build my lather. Same principle as the scuttle I guess. Keeps it warm(er) than leaving it on the counter, but it doesn't break down because it isn't that hot.

I do the same thing. But I find that I can actually get the water fairly hot when using a soap stick, per my link.

I found that using boiling water in a brush scuttle was the bees knees just like you http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ould-be-a-brush-scuttle?p=3698726#post3698726

Now I have moved upstairs into my own shave cathedral and it is too far to walk to the kitchen to use the microwave or kettle to get boiling water so now I plop the scuttles into the bathroom sink filled with hot water to warm them up (inside and outside) then empty them and refill with hot tap water. This is NOT as nice as using boiling water as both of our earlier posts mention but I am not willing to go up and down the stairs just for a few more degrees of warmth. The bathroom I was using is only a few steps from the kitchen so easy to get boiling water. The one I am now using is much further away from the kitchen. I needed to "share" the downstairs one with SWMBO. The one upstairs is mine alone (sweet). Simple trade off. I suppose I could store the brush scuttle in the kitchen and bring it upstairs with boiling water already in it..... hummm.... why didn't I think of that sooner....

Absolutely love my Dirty Bird, use it on every shave at home and have been thinking about taking it on business trips as well (that in room coffee maker should be good for something).
I boil my water before pouring in the DB, and I don't have any problems with soaps or cream. I will say that the soap/cream will dry inside the scuttle the second you stop lathering, so I never go back to the scuttle, but it ok b/c my brushes hold lots of lather and heat.

I have found that even when the lather breaks down in my scuttle it comes right back when I work the brush on my face so it really does not matter so far. Only had my scuttle for a couple weeks though.

Top Bottom