What's new

Brush Scuttle makers

I’ve been in contact with GP and it was a one run custom order. They have none left in stock and don’t seem to plan on making more. In fact they asked me to send a picture since they don’t seem to know what they look like. LOL.

So it seems like a good idea has kind of died. 😞
I think the remaining option is to look for other potters in your area. Depending on where you live, a quick Google search will reveal the other local potters. If they are willing to take on custom orders, they may request an appointment to meet up for discussion.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
When searching out local potters wherever one is, would it be helpful to have a set of representative measurements? I imagine that a potter willing to take on the task probably doesn't have an immediate picture in their head of a brush scuttle -- and as we've noted the lather scuttle is more common and easy to find and even seasoned shavers might not know the difference between lather and brush scuttles if they're not directly concerned.

So...how high/wide/deep should it be? Should there be a "little brush" size and a "lather mop" size or is that too fiddly?

I want a brush scuttle. After using a "McGyver" lather scuttle for a while I quit it because hot lather irritates my skin. I've McGyvered a brush scuttle just to try the idea out and find I quite like it.

I also have the idea that measurements that fall somewhat close to something a potter already makes might make the job easier. If it was a matter of putting together a stoneware tea mug and a stoneware tumbler design, that might be less intimidating for the potter. Otherwise they're gonna Google it and see a lather scuttle and make one of those.

Any general pointers for having a discussion with a potter?

O.H.

When searching out local potters wherever one is, would it be helpful to have a set of representative measurements? I imagine that a potter willing to take on the task probably doesn't have an immediate picture in their head of a brush scuttle -- and as we've noted the lather scuttle is more common and easy to find and even seasoned shavers might not know the difference between lather and brush scuttles if they're not directly concerned.

So...how high/wide/deep should it be? Should there be a "little brush" size and a "lather mop" size or is that too fiddly?

I want a brush scuttle. After using a "McGyver" lather scuttle for a while I quit it because hot lather irritates my skin. I've McGyvered a brush scuttle just to try the idea out and find I quite like it.

I also have the idea that measurements that fall somewhat close to something a potter already makes might make the job easier. If it was a matter of putting together a stoneware tea mug and a stoneware tumbler design, that might be less intimidating for the potter. Otherwise they're gonna Google it and see a lather scuttle and make one of those.

Any general pointers for having a discussion with a potter?
I think the measurements would be vital but they may depend on the end user's preferences.

I can speak for a lather scuttle as I do not know the ideal measurements for a brush scuttle yet. So I hope someone more knowledgeable with the dimensions of brush scuttle share their thoughts on this thread. For lather scuttles, the most important measurement would be that of the inner bowl and then the outer bowl. Some people prefer a scuttle that is much deeper with little wiggle room within the inner bowl (less than 4 inches like the Moss scuttle), others prefer a wider diameter (4-6 inches) with little depth (around 2-3 inches; like Steve Woodhead's Mega scuttle). I would also consider other aspects such as the pattern of the ridges within the inner bowl (may not be as important for a brush scuttle) and the amount of water the bowl is able to hold.

These are all pointers to discuss with the potter. For ordering a custom brush scuttle for the first time, I would share the photos of the brush scuttle and the measurements listed and request the potter to try to replicate it. The local potter may not even know anything about shaving scuttles. Moreover, if I were to order another brush scuttle with more distinctive and customized features, then I would draw the model for the potter just to ensure that the shape is close to what I originally envisioned.

:c9:
My son just picked up a scuttle from an antique shop, he recognized it was for shaving because it had a ..... shaving brush in it.
I recognized it was something for shaving but had to do a little research to remember what it was :c9:

I'll be giving it a try tomorrow, I still need to see if the puck does well on top or if the top is used for creating a lather, I see both are considered.

Top Bottom