What's new

Scuba's Str8 Shave Journal

Bummer! But that happens sometimes. Stick with it and they'll get better. Are you sure your blade angle was shallow enough?

Are you sure your blade angle was shallow enough?

Pretty darn sure...but, some new blades arrived after the shave. Looks like I'll be trying them out on Wed! :thumbup1:

I'm not down for the count yet...the str8 shave war continues.

Pretty darn sure...but, some new blades arrived after the shave. Looks like I'll be trying them out on Wed! :thumbup1:

I'm not down for the count yet...the str8 shave war continues.

Cool, new blades are always fun. I have 3 and thought I was good, but I'm now on the hunt for a wedge. :tongue_sm

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Bummer, it happens. Some days, it's just not there...

Shave #4

GREAT Str8 shave!

My first "real" str8 shave using a well honed Shumate razor by Paul.

Had a decent amount of time this morning so I really wanted to take my time and give this a go.

Showered
Lathered up Proraso SC
Simpson's Major Turnback Travel Brush in Best

Let the lather sit on my face while I wiped the oil off the razor, dried my hands etc.

First pass was excellent. The razor whisked through the hairs on my cheeks down just past the jawline. Chin and lips first pass felt good. On my neck I usually have to go all north on the first pass. This was challenging, but not impossible.

WWR and feel the face.

Not too bad! Still some trouble spots needing attention.

Second pass was XTG. Attacked the whole face again. By the end of this pass, cheeks and most of neck was DFS. Chin & jawline were still a bit rough.

WWR and ready to go for final pass.

This pass I went ATG on the cheeks....GREAT! ATG on the upper lip...blade dug in a bit (improper angle I'm sure) so I backed off. I know I can knock out ATG on the upper lip b/c I do it with my DE all the time...just have to work out the angles. Chin and lips finished weren't great...but I was happy with my results for a Newb at this.

All in all, I'm exceptionally happy with this shave. This is what I expected for my first str8 shave...its clear that Dovo I used initially needs a proper hone to come back to be a good shaver.

One question:

After my shave, I ran the Shumate across my brand new Red Latigo 3" from Vintage Blades. I noticed some red stuff on the spine of the razor after about 20 passes on the strop. I assume this is normal?

Here's a pic of what I used today:

Last edited:
Congrats on the shave and very nice picture.

I have been traveling all week, so I am still waiting for my 4th shave with my straight :sad:

Glad it went well! I had a better shave today after getting a few nicks the other day.

Cool looking razor, by the way.

Luc

Staff member
The Proraso Shave... One of my favorites!

Str8 Shave #5

Today I shaved with a W&B honed on an Escher.

Setup:

Shower
AoS Lemon SS
Semagoue 1305

Instead of Kyle's Prep this time I tried what appeared to be Chimensch's routine. Lather, strop, shave.

25 passes on Linen
50 passes on Red Latigo

Touch up lather on face and go!
First Pass:

This blade is DEFINITELY different than my Shumate. Heavier and less forgiving IMHO. Cheeks went ok. Neck ok...couldn't figure out the chin to save my life...even WTG. Yesterday the blade was more managable for my Newb hands I think.

Second Pass:
XTG on cheeks, chin and upper lip. I learned yesterday from my upper lip experience and applied the technique lessons to today...got a pretty decent shave there by using the rounded edge of the W&B. On the neck I went S-->N and got pretty good up to the jawline.

Third Pass:
ATG on cheeks and touch up everywhere else. By the end I had BBS cheeks, DFS neck and lower chin. "Meh" everwhere else.

WWR/CWR
OGBR Limes & Peppercorns
L'Oreal Skin Fuel

I learned this lesson during the initial shaves of my DE experience last year...I should have applied it to str8 shaves. I changed too many variables today. Different prep, different blade, different technique etc.

The lesson which I learned through my year of DE shaving was change one variable...shave with it for awhile...change another.

Pic of what I used below...I'll probably let my face heal and hit it again on Sunday.

"Once more into the breach dear friends..."

I've learned the same lesson . . . many times. :wink2:

Gotta love the Semogue and the Ogallala Bay! Great choices.

Bigger blades are definitely a different animal. From my standpoint, a bigger, heavier blade will do more of the 'work' for you. With a smaller, lighter blades I find myself more prone to finesse the edge through my whiskers - whereas with a meat chopper, I just pick my angles and hang on for the ride.:001_tt2:

Also, I think you are right on the variables. Whenever I am trying to evaluate something new, I try to make everything else a known variable.

Glad to see you are making progress (#4) but don't get discouraged (#5). You said it yourself, too many variables.

Great job so far :thumbup1:

Don't be discouraged, it can/will be a roller coaster ride in the beginning it will eventually be better each shave.

Really a great picture of shave #5 :thumbup:

Str8 Shave #6

Went back to my old routine that has served me well with DEs using's Kyles. Beard was MUCH more prepared!

The weapon of choice this time was a fantastic ERN rescaled by Max and honed by Paul (Richmondesi). All I can say is WOW! This thing cut my hairs like butter.

I still made mistakes, but this blade is the blade for me! The mistakes I made were more due to technique and quite frankly...stupidity :blushing:

After watching Jockeys, Kyle's and Chimensch's vids...I was very much in the groove of shaving down past my sideburn over my jawline and to the bottom of my neck hair....so much so that I completely neglected to remember that at the base of my neck, the hair grows up not down...thus I was shaving ATG on the first pass on my VERY sensitive neck...OUCH...felt like an idiot after that.

I also attmped ATG on my cheeks when it really wasn't necessary...more irritation!

The success however came with my chin, I was able to achieve DFS by watching all those same aforementioned vids and taking my time in very small, short strokes.

All in all... I am very pleased with this shave because I know I've made serious progress here. On my next shave, I'm going to have to take my time and remember (not throw out) all of the lessons I learned through my trials with DE shaving...

The kit:

Sounds like SRAD has sucessfully set it hook! Congrats on the shave! Glad to see things are getting better each time. :thumbup:

Luc

Staff member
Good work! If you think you're ready for ATG, that's all right. If you wait a bit, that's fine too!

Straight Shave #7

Well...I've always hated beginning a shave when you know you have irritation still existing under the stubble....its tough to judge the quality of the shave.

So, this time, I repeated everything that I know that works with a DE (Kyles' Prep etc). For lather, I mixed some glycerine soap (Conk's Amber) and Trumper's Limes SC after reading Doc Chaos's thread about why many str8 users prefer soaps....to get a slicker shave.

The lather was superb. Very dense and uber slick. Good start.

WTG Pass - not too bad on cheeks, jawline, chin and lips. Neck was already irritated so I did a single pass on the irritated spots.

Next pass was WTG again. Another good run with minimal dragging and a single weeper on my lip.

Third pass I should have picked up my DE....instead I pushed it again for a XTG on my cheeks and part of my neck. Got some irritation out of that one.

I'm beginning to think that the best way to learn str8s for me is the method described by Lynn Abrams on SRP....do a WTG with the str8 and finish the rest of your shave with your old method. Continue doing this and adding str8 passes/techniques to every shave.

The reason I think this method will be more effective is that crappy shaves = irritation = less str8 shaves = less learning how to use a str8.

Translation: I think I'll be able to pick up, handle and wield a str8 more often if I still use a DE with every shave.

As I think most would attest on this site....the only way you learn something like this is by repetition, muscle memory and actually using a str8 razor as often as possible.

I think folks say to keep the DE in the drawer because of the concern you'll use it as a crutch....but if not using it causes so much irriation you can't pick up a str8 for 3-4 days....then you're not learning that way either.

Which is better? For me, I think it means starting the shave with a str8 and finishing with a DE. I'll have a clean shaven, irritation free face, I'll still be learning str8 methodologies every day...and I'll be happier! :smile:

Top Bottom