What's new

Scuba's Str8 Shave Journal

Well, your WTG's worked out OK :thumbup1:
I've found, as you, that when you force the shave, you are immediately rewarded with, in best case irritation or in worst case razor burn.

As with DE, YMMW and you just pick up the method that suits you best, and I think what you have described above would have suited me as well - just never thought of doing it that way.

Just keep going you will be rewarded at the end :001_smile

Good idea! Whatever keeps you coming back to the str8s...as you know I don't feel it is a sprint...more of a journey. Enjoy it! :smile:

Good idea! Whatever keeps you coming back to the str8s...as you know I don't feel it is a sprint...more of a journey. Enjoy it! :smile:

Yeah...just got done "treating" my razor bumps from my dumb@$$ mistake of shaving like Joel down to my neckline...

What a maroon I am :blushing:

And to think I lost a good 2-3 days of practice because of it!

Oh well...acknowledging your mistakes is the first sign of recovery :001_tongu

If using the DE to finish up works for you and allows you to use the straight more often, then good for you. I think the comment about learning straights being a journey rather than a sprint is very true. I wanted to have perfect shaves the first week I picked up the straights and caused some serious irritation and cuts. I plan on using straights for good, which equals alot of shaves to come. When you look at it in that perspective, there's really no rush to be perfect so soon.

Str8 Shave #8

I'm FINALLY getting it!!! :w00t:

After my last abomination...shaving on top of my irritation (with the minor victory of the chin) I had to wait three days to attack it again. All I have left from the last str8 shave is a wicked ingrown from my idiotic attempt to shave straight down on my neck (I know better....watched too many videos and forgot all the old DE lessons).

Today I did the same routine.

Heavy Kyle's Prep (longer with the hot towel)
Good, dense lather.

2 WTG passes with the str8 and no irritation, no nicks...no bloodshed :thumbup:

It felt good and I really felt I was getting the feel of the blade in my hand. The weapon of choice was the same ERN I used in str8 shave #6 honed by Paul. 25 on the linen and 50 on the latigo and BAM....great shave!

My "third" pass was more of a finisher with my Hoffritz slant DE....cleaning up some rough spots and going ATG on the lips, chin etc.

All in all....VERY happy with the results and I feel like I'm making serious progress here:001_smile

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Str8 Shave #8

After my last abomination...shaving on top of my irritation (with the minor victory of the chin) I had to wait three days to attack it again. All I have left from the last str8 shave is a wicked ingrown from my idiotic attempt to shave straight down on my neck (I know better....watched too many videos and forgot all the old DE lessons).

Good, dense lather.

It felt good and I really felt I was getting the feel of the blade in my hand. The weapon of choice was the same ERN I used in str8 shave #6 honed by Paul. 25 on the linen and 50 on the latigo and BAM....great shave!

My "third" pass was more of a finisher with my Hoffritz slant DE....cleaning up some rough spots and going ATG on the lips, chin etc.

All in all....VERY happy with the results and I feel like I'm making serious progress here:001_smile

Excellent progress!! The more you shave, the better it gets!!

Congrats :thumbup:

This is what it is all about - persistence and build on the lessons learned from each shave.
It is so fulfilling with those small victories :001_smile

Strop, Strop and more strop. These guys definitely know what they are talking about. I had another straight shave today. The one thing I did different was doubling the amount of passes over the strop. The end result was my best straight shave so far!

Str8 Shave #8

Good, dense lather.

Congrats! Was the shave quality uniform worthy?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Chris.... It certainly sounds like you are making significant progress in your journey. I might suggest you use the ERN razor for the next 5 to 7 shaves carefully stropping in the range of 35/50 or 50/50 between your cloth/linen/latigo... That would be a way for you to really narrow things down. You admit it might be the blade you are most comfortable with. Changing razors daily with different grinds etc is truly a recipe for disaster now as you may have already discovered. Do 5 to 7 days of no more than 2 pass straight shaves with the same prep, same brush, same soap, and your "lucky" ERN. This will help you I believe. Enjoy your twin babies... From experience I can assure you, they are leased... You think you own them but they become teens and you become invisible to them at times... Savor this time brother!

Chris.... It certainly sounds like you are making significant progress in your journey. I might suggest you use the ERN razor for the next 5 to 7 shaves carefully stropping in the range of 35/50 or 50/50 between your cloth/linen/latigo... That would be a way for you to really narrow things down. You admit it might be the blade you are most comfortable with. Changing razors daily with different grinds etc is truly a recipe for disaster now as you may have already discovered. Do 5 to 7 days of no more than 2 pass straight shaves with the same prep, same brush, same soap, and your "lucky" ERN. This will help you I believe. Enjoy your twin babies... From experience I can assure you, they are leased... You think you own them but they become teens and you become invisible to them at times... Savor this time brother!

Mike,

Appreciate the advice on all points Sir...much appreciated! Actually got 4 hours of sleep last night....so I can't complain too much :smile:

Somethings changing....I'm getting it!

Well, I'm on about 12 now...havent had time to post. Up til yesterday my results were about the same as 1-8. Ok shaves, lots of stubble left over with mandatory DE touch up required just to be fit for duty at work.

The last two days I've changed two variables....

1) I've begun moisturizing my face at night before bed

and

2) I've started shaving with a Dovo 5/8 Best honed by Paul (Richmondesi) on a coti.

My prep hasn't changed.

Yesterday and today I started to really get quality shaves with my str8. Two passes WTG yesterday with a DE touch up and then today, two WTG and one partial XTG and some ATG with the str8....only had patches required for DE touch up! :thumbup1:

I'm not sure what it is...most likely my technique is getting better, but man....the last two shaves have really helped boost my morale with this whole str8 experience. Today, my shave was almost good enough to wear with a uniform!

Many thanks to all who have helped with advice counsel to this point, but especially Paul!

No time for a pic....I'll try to squeeze one in and edit this post later :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom