What's new

Scuba's Str8 Shave Journal

Monday's Str8 Shave:

Gents,

I think I can officially state that I am almost out of the Newbie Str8 woods and into the Intermediate realm.

Second BBS str8 shave in a row after a bit of a hiatus from all shaving in general.

Kyle's Prep
Bismark 6/8 Dovo
DR Harris Lavender Cream
Shavemac 177
SCS Bulgarian Lavender ASM

Three passes....WTG, XTG and pseudo ATG....BBS all over, absolutely zero irritation. Felt amazing.

Now...if only that Friodur would arrive...:lol:

Thanks to all for the encouragement! As a military st8-wannabe...I didn't think I'd be able to pull this off and still get presentable shaves but I now know I was wrong. I'm going to have to write up something to prospective military str8 users in another month or so...its definitely doable! :thumbup:

Last edited:
How many shaves in are you? I am due for shave 21 this evening and I cannot wait although I must admit that progress has been slower lately compare to the leaps and bounds of the first fifteen. Anyhow who cares I am still enjoying it tremendously and cannot wait to get to where you are at. Hmm, maybe I need to get a new razor in order to get to the next level.:biggrin1:

How many shaves in are you? I am due for shave 21 this evening and I cannot wait although I must admit that progress has been slower lately compare to the leaps and bounds of the first fifteen. Anyhow who cares I am still enjoying it tremendously and cannot wait to get to where you are at. Hmm, maybe I need to get a new razor in order to get to the next level.:biggrin1:

I've stopped counting truthfully but I'm approaching the 5 month mark for str8 shaving...I really feel like I've crossed a line where I no longer view the str8 process as mysterious or difficult. I appreciate the need to concentrate, take your time etc....but when I first started out the entire thing seemed so daunting.

Now, I'm getting regular BBS/DFS w/no irritation. I think thats the key :thumbup1:

Best of luck in your own journey!

Even touching up on hones is doable....I think the aspect of straights which can be so daunting to some is that its just not as easy as picking up the tools and shaving....much more to it than that.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I've stopped counting truthfully but I'm approaching the 5 month mark for str8 shaving...I really feel like I've crossed a line where I no longer view the str8 process as mysterious or difficult. I appreciate the need to concentrate, take your time etc....but when I first started out the entire thing seemed so daunting.

Now, I'm getting regular BBS/DFS w/no irritation. I think thats the key :thumbup1:

Even touching up on hones is doable....I think the aspect of straights which can be so daunting to some is that its just not as easy as picking up the tools and shaving....much more to it than that.

Congrats!!

5 Months was when it started to get 2 notchs better for me... :thumbup:

Monday's Str8 Shave:

Gents,

I think I can officially state that I am almost out of the Newbie Str8 woods and into the Intermediate realm.

Second BBS str8 shave in a row after a bit of a hiatus from all shaving in general.

Kyle's Prep
Bismark 6/8 Dovo
DR Harris Lavender Cream
Shavemac 177
SCS Bulgarian Lavender ASM

Three passes....WTG, XTG and pseudo ATG....BBS all over, absolutely zero irritation. Felt amazing.

Now...if only that Friodur would arrive...:lol:

Thanks to all for the encouragement! As a military st8-wannabe...I didn't think I'd be able to pull this off and still get presentable shaves but I now know I was wrong. I'm going to have to write up something to prospective military str8 users in another month or so...its definitely doable! :thumbup:

Awesome and congrats!

Thank you, these last few lines of your are also that which makes it so appealing to me. Not only does it take long to master, although the process is very interesting, but there is just so much more interesting skills to learn regarding maintenance and care of these beautiful tools.

The whole experience has helped me to gain a great deal of perspective on shaving and what I find most baffling is how switching to a safety razor could be so appealing. After 20 odd shaves it is pretty clear to me that you do not have to be a rocket scientist to learn to shave with str8ts it is just a matter of dedicated practice. The risk of cutting yourself is there but how often do you really cut yourself so badly that anyone around you will notice?
The only real difference is the time aspect, mostly connected to blade care. Is stropping such an inconvenience that you would want to make the switch?

Wednesday's Str8 Shave:

Another really good one today....used my new Henckels Friodur 7/8 from John Crowley.

Bit of a stiffer blade than I'm used to...and I could actually discern the difference which tells me I've come a long way!

Friodur 7/8
Simpson Major Turnback in Best
Yardley SS
WWR/CWR
Proraso AS splash

All in all, another excellent shave! The stiffness of this blade made me adjust slightly, but nothing I couldn't handle. I also found some stubble at the tail end of the shave I must have missed that a quick final swipe took care of...really starting to enjoy this str8 thing consistently!! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thursday's Straight Shave:

Dovo 6/8 Best honed on a Richmondesi Coti
Shavemac 177
Madame Scodioli Shave Soap (first shave!)
WWR/CWR
OGBR Aftershave

Nice clean straight shave, one minor nick on the chin...other than that, no irritation, no problems WTG, XTG and a little ATG for good measure!

Man, you're doing great! I'm looking forward to being able to add a little ATG to the mix, but for now I am working to perfect my WTG/ XTG first. It helps that I am very pleased with the quality of my shaves, and don't have a need for that elusive BBS, for now anyway!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That straight look straight out of the 70s...

Good work!!

Top Bottom