What's new

Scritichiest Brush Around

How I understand the brush feel terminology:
Scrubby - like rubbing with a Brillo pad, or that feeling of few days old buzz cut.
Scritchy/Scratchy - thousands of tiny needles puncturing your skin.

Shavemac D01 2-band will get you a great knot with wonderful scrubbiness.

Was just about to post this and saw this....

Absolutely, Shavemac D01-2 is the harshest knot I have...wonderful, think I have three with the D01-2 and one with the D01, which is much softer, more like a super badger.

Next up for scritchy for me would be a few of the Morris & Forndran brushes I have, great brushes, you can get a real scrub going with them.

The Green Coral handled brush is a BEAST....

Morris_Forndran_2new.jpg

I bought a RazoRock Plissoft Silvertip 24mm X 57mm brush with plastic stand for $21. It has plenty of backbone. I couldn't wish for a "better" brush.

I just put a post regarding scritchy brushes in my vendor forum
Bought and received! Very nice brush. I tried it on MWF and it made glossy slick lather. The tips are scritchy enough to scratch the puck up to grab soap which I think makes it easier to create non-foamy lather.

I hate expensive super soft badger brushes! I have a couple and use them like once a year, each. I don't understand how one could like that floppiness. I have a couple sub $6 Chinese badgers with non-descript black wooden handles and a cheap Tweezerman badger that are super scritchy...love em! Part of what you want while lathering is to exfoliate, right? Also a big fan of omega boar brushes for the same reason.
Just this !!
I have a couple of Omega Boar brushes, both now broken in with soft split tips but still a little scrubby thanks to the backbone. One is quite large with a high loft that I use with hard soaps, the other is shorter that I tend to use with creams - love them both though I also have an EJ best badger which isn't too soft, used for creams.

What is the advantage of a scratchy scrubby brush?
For me, as previously stated by others, its exfoliation, the clearing of dead skin cells.
However with a beard as tough as mine, I also feel it lifts and softens the whiskers better, allowing my razor to cut more efficiently. I have a fairly tough beard that seems to get tougher as I age, especially as my 'highlights' (grey whiskers) become more prolific.

Ok. Then in that case I should use similar type of brush. My facial hair is so thick when I used the shick 5 blade razors I only got 2-3 shaves before I had to change blade. Do you have any more tips that can help for my thick beard.

I used to use pre-shave cream and sometimes pre-shave oil, and that worked quite well, though I'm not sure if it was me, but the oil used to make my lather a bit meh! I tend not to use pre-shave very much now since my lathering technique improved. I also try to get my beard as warm and soft as possible by using a flannel/facecloth soaked in hot water applying it to my face for a few minutes before I lather.
Remember though I'm a relative newbie to DE shaving so maybe the more experienced will have better or more useful tips

Ok. Then in that case I should use similar type of brush. My facial hair is so thick when I used the shick 5 blade razors I only got 2-3 shaves before I had to change blade. Do you have any more tips that can help for my thick beard.
-Minimum 3 minutes of keeping the beard wet prior to shaving. This significantly softens the beard hair and cuts the hair with ease.
-Two passes. Don't try to get it all the hair on one pass.
-Shave at a shallow angle to lessen tugging
-Stretch skin while shaving

-Minimum 3 minutes of keeping the beard wet prior to shaving. This significantly softens the beard hair and cuts the hair with ease.
-Two passes. Don't try to get it all the hair on one pass.
-Shave at a shallow angle to lessen tugging
-Stretch skin while shaving
+1

Thanks. Luckily all I shave it my cheeck line and the bottom of my neck as I also have a beard. With that said I will definitely try your suggestions. Thank you for them.

This is funny. First we're singing the praises of soft brushes like silvertip badgers and some synthetics, and now we're in a scritch contest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom