What's new

Scritichiest Brush Around

Maseto 26mm/30mm two band finest is about as scritchy as you can get with a badger.
Mine's soft as a pillow. I guess it's a different batch.

OT For a scrubby badger I think of Epsilon brushes fit quite nicely. Also Declaration B3 if found in the wild.

Mine's soft as a pillow. I guess it's a different batch.

OT For a scrubby badger I think of Epsilon brushes fit quite nicely. Also Declaration B3 if found in the wild.

Scott (Declaration) still has B3 in stock for handle knotting. I have a handle being knotted with B3 right now.

Scritchy is different from having a nice backbone or a bit of scrub. There are plenty of great brushes that have a nice backbone. These are desirable brushes and they can be costly. I have a really nice M&F 2XL brush that has some outstanding backbone. Shavemac 2 band d01 and Simpson Chubby would be others to mention here.

Scritch on the other hand for me is quite a bit less desirable. To get scritch I'd say find the absolute cheapest badger brush that you can find and there's a very good chance it's going to have quite a bit of scritch. This would apply to boar as well. A $4 boar brush will likely give you a good bit of scritch. If you find scritch to be a favorable quality then you're a lucky man as you'll find that many of the more inexpensive brushes might appeal to you.

A vie long horse was by far the scritchiest brush I’ve used. Similar performance to boar, but tips never split, never felt like it “broke in”

I got rid of it.

How about taking any old cheap drugstore boar, and trimming off 2-3 mm of the tips with scissors or an electric clipper?

Scott (Declaration) still has B3 in stock for handle knotting. I have a handle being knotted with B3 right now.
B3 is a great knot, it was just a bit too much for me. I'm sure you're in for a treat, even though I prefer other batches, the B3 is still better than 90% of the competition :001_cool:

This rated #1 in my grouping.

Fantastic face lathering brush

proxy.php
Nice brush Mick, I'm also a fan of Simpsons Pure.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The scrubbiest brushes in my arsenal are the Vulfix Old Original #18 and #2199 in Pure. They are what some wet shaving purists (I'm one of them!) would recommend because of their nice and pleasant exfoliating feeling. Furthermore, despite being some of the less expensive badgers I own, they are also among my favourite.

I’ll add Vulfix 404 Boar/badger mixed loft. Scrubby with some scritch. Great brush, low cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think of scrubby as short loft, good backbone but still flexible enough to comfortably yet vigorously face lather. Scritch, to me, simply means a mild scratch; i.e. it feels like a not too soft brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have the wrong definition in mind but I also like a scritchy brush. Where scritch is closely related to being prickly and is independent from backbone/density.

I bought a cheap black badger with clipped ends but it was just an inferior brush overall. Very little density or backbone or scritch.

My most prickly brushes are a Yaqi 2-band (still nearly new) a small reknotted brush I bought from a fellow member here many years ago of unknown origin. I don't need another brush but would make room for a prickly one

I may have the wrong definition in mind but I also like a scritchy brush. Where scritch is closely related to being prickly and is independent from backbone/density.

I bought a cheap black badger with clipped ends but it was just an inferior brush overall. Very little density or backbone or scritch.

My most prickly brushes are a Yaqi 2-band (still nearly new) a small reknotted brush I bought from a fellow member here many years ago of unknown origin. I don't need another brush but would make room for a prickly one
I would agree, scritchy ~ prickly. Scrub I find more backbone related, though super-soft tips would detract from scrub.

I hate expensive super soft badger brushes! I have a couple and use them like once a year, each. I don't understand how one could like that floppiness. I have a couple sub $6 Chinese badgers with non-descript black wooden handles and a cheap Tweezerman badger that are super scritchy...love em! Part of what you want while lathering is to exfoliate, right? Also a big fan of omega boar brushes for the same reason.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I hate expensive super soft badger brushes! I have a couple and use them like once a year, each. I don't understand how one could like that floppiness. I have a couple sub $6 Chinese badgers with non-descript black wooden handles and a cheap Tweezerman badger that are super scritchy...love em! Part of what you want while lathering is to exfoliate, right? Also a big fan of omega boar brushes for the same reason.
This! Exactly.

there are definitely floppy badgers. I'm not a fan. there are plenty of scrubby badgers that are a delight. type of hair, density and loft can often determine backbone and scrub in a badger. high lofted silvertips will flop. same knot set deeper for less loft can feel perfect.

a high end, 2-band, or blonde properly dense and lofted? perfection.

Top Bottom