What's new

Screwin around on the lathe

Thanks for the kind words fellas.These were my first attempts at any of these shapes. i only had pictures from the reviews section to go by. Left to right;kent, edwinn jagger, shavemac, le08. The kent like shape came closest I think

Well I got to messin around again.This time with cocobolo.Although it's not a brush it is brush related because i am going to use the wood for a handle the next time I get my hands on a knot.What do you fellers think of cocobolo.I love the colors of this wood.Black, brown, purple, tan, even a couple spots of orange.

Spanx, looks awesome. Those are some nice handles. I can just picture them under some stain and lacquer. Love the look of natural woodgrain. The grain looks great on those.

Those look really nice. Have you tried rosewood yet?

Not yet, this was my first time working with an exotic wood.

Nice work on the pizza cutter! Where did you get the black metal kit? I've only seen stainless!

It's a stainless kit.The flash just makes it look black.

Spanx, looks awesome. Those are some nice handles. I can just picture them under some stain and lacquer. Love the look of natural woodgrain. The grain looks great on those.

Thanks I like the diagonal grain too.Id like to use a nice exotic such as wenge or kingwood or cocobolo but a large enough blank to get the cut from is a little pricey.

Here's one I just finished today.I went with a shavemac profile and decided to busy it up a little.I sanded it thrugh 2000 grit wet.Finish is minwax finishing paste.The knot is a 24mm superbadger set at 53mm loft.I will make a bold statement her by saying that I believe the treated sivr tip hair used in this knot is the same treated hair used by rooney in their super silvertip brushes.The hair is identical in appearance and feel both wet and dry.I do think that this brush head is a little denser but that may be due to the shape of the head. I'll get some pics up later comparing the two side by side.

here are a few pics of the gnib super next to a t-h branded rooney super. The first pic with t-h on the right, following pics the t-h is on the left.After useing the brush I'm convinced that the har is the same.

Spanx,

Beautiful looking work.

I love cocobolo. Use it for knife handles quite a bit. The dust doesn't seem to irritate my sking like it does a lot of folks. Have you had any luck getting a finish to work on it? Most everyone I've talked too said that nothing will. However since it is so oily I bet it wouldn't matter much anyway.

Charlie

Wanted to post this separately:

Are there any brush handles out there that are not symetrical in design?

Has anyone tried usine any of the modern resin laminates such as Micarta, G10 or such?

I've used them for knife handles and they work very well in and around water/blood/oil. remain quite grippy.

Charlie

Spanx,

Beautiful looking work.

I love cocobolo. Use it for knife handles quite a bit. The dust doesn't seem to irritate my sking like it does a lot of folks. Have you had any luck getting a finish to work on it? Most everyone I've talked too said that nothing will. However since it is so oily I bet it wouldn't matter much anyway.

Charlie

After reading lots of material on finishing cocobolo mostly about how oily this wood is and how it interferes with finishes I decided not to put a finish on it.I'm just begining to learn to work with wood.

Well, so much for believing what others say about cocobolo being highly water resistant or waterproof.My handle I turned a couple of shaves ago cracked in 3 places.Good thing I only used a dab of epoxy, just in case this happened.The knot is safe so I'm not terribly heartbroken.

I was messin around on the lathe trying to get to know it.I decided to try and recreate some popular handle shapes.Not too bad or good for only using a parting tool and an easy finisher.

Wow, don't stop there. You could probably make some stunning and space saving holders for your razors, brushes, and other shaving needs. :thumbup1:

Well, so much for believing what others say about cocobolo being highly water resistant or waterproof.My handle I turned a couple of shaves ago cracked in 3 places.Good thing I only used a dab of epoxy, just in case this happened.The knot is safe so I'm not terribly heartbroken.

Could be the cocobolo was not dry when you turned it. I get my blanks from Rockler, and they are waxed to keep them from drying out - they are easier to turn when the wood is still wet - but, it will dry and shrink after you turn it. The plastic plug on the bottom of the knot will not allow the wood to shrink, hence the crack you got. I've heard you can quick dry wood in a micro wave - maybe that would be a good step to add. Personally, I've never had a problem with cracking, but maybe next time. Thanks for bringing this up.
PS - try tung oil on the oily hardwoods.

Some wood are more prone to cracking then others.
Snakewood and Black and White Ebony can be especially difficult in this regards.
I bought a large blank of Amboyna burl off e-bay, when I received it it was sealed with varnish.
When I cut the wood into smaller blanks I found that the wood was soaking wet.
I cut wood into small blank and weighed the wood and wrote the weight on the blank.
I kept the wood inside and weighed it until the weight had stabilized, about 6 weeks.

both these Coco handles are no less than 3 yrs old,zero cracks.
When you buy grade A exotic wood, the seller should know the water content (if a major dealer) easy to do, takes 30 secs.
I won't buy wood to turn unless it is 10% or less moisture content,on the other hand I have large resawn pces that are waxed and will take a couple yrs to dry.
Yes you can dry wood in your microwave,you can also have a major explosion that will break the glass door (been there done that)
Another way to remove moisture is to cut your wood into your handle blank size, soak the wood in denatured alcohol for 5 days and air dry for 30 days.
Tung oil is not a good finish on any wood IMO.
proxy.php

Top Bottom