What's new

Screwin around on the lathe

I was messin around on the lathe trying to get to know it.I decided to try and recreate some popular handle shapes.Not too bad or good for only using a parting tool and an easy finisher.

Looks great, am On my lathe at least 4 hrs a day.
proxy.php

Gorgeous work to you both!

My grandfather is also a wood turner but I think he might look at me a little funny if I start asking for custom shaving brush handles. Actually... maybe he'll just take it as something new he hasn't done before! :)

Spanx, nice shapes on the first handles. Spindlecone, is that a friction fit between the knot hole and the tube? Kirby, grandpa will make you handles because he will enjoy the challenge.

Spanx, nice shapes on the first handles. Spindlecone, is that a friction fit between the knot hole and the tube? Kirby, grandpa will make you handles because he will enjoy the challenge.

Use sockets that are close in size, wrap tape around them if needed to get a friction fit, thats the way I do my final sanding and polish.

Thanks fellas.Although there made from pine, the diagonal cut makes the sap lines really stand out.Do any of you use diagonal cuts on your turnings?

Neat trick, Spindlecone - why didn't I think of that. What tools do you use when you turn plastic? I'm just starting to mess with home-made butterscotch polyester, and I haven't got the chatter under control yet.

Neat trick, Spindlecone - why didn't I think of that. What tools do you use when you turn plastic? I'm just starting to mess with home-made butterscotch polyester, and I haven't got the chatter under control yet.

I use carbide on everything EXCEPT Plastic (the two do not work).
For plastic I use HSS at 1250 RPM,stanley sureform rasps also work well for plastic on the lathe.

I use carbide on everything EXCEPT Plastic (the two do not work).
For plastic I use HSS at 1250 RPM,stanley sureform rasps also work well for plastic on the lathe.
Interesting - Thanks. I was just messing around, squaring up a blank, and I had my best luck with a parting tool, 90 degrees to normal use. I thought perhaps a minimal point of contact worked best. I'm just a beginner with plastic, so any suggestions are welcome. I wish I had a small metal lathe to try with it. The worst chatter seemed to come when I didn't have solid contact with the tool rest. Here is one I did with TGN plastic.

Spanx, outstanding work. I too like the chubby one on the left with the Falstaffian belly, but the base on the next one over looks like a more comfortable grip. Who cares. Beautiful work!

Top Bottom