What's new

scored a Brooks Brothers suit today

for 40 dolla.

proxy.php

went to a consignment store today and thought the price of their used suits was a little too high, so I ran over to the thrift store instead where I had previously seen a lot of used Brooks Bros shirts for sale. today I found this gray/pinstripe beauty for only $40. the pants need to be tailored but the jacket fits pretty nice. which brings me to my next question, the pants that came with the suit were cuffed, but I was thinking they would look better straight legged. I wanted to use this suit for interviews and/or formal events. I can't recall but the pants are either flat front or single pleat. what are your thoughts on this?

FYI, normally I prefer a 3-button suit jacket but this 2-button will suffice.

is there some rule of thumb about the color of shoes one can wear with a grey suit? black seems like it would blend more naturally but some of the pics in the gq link have a few guys in grey with dark brown shoes. I suck at color coordinating

is there some rule of thumb about the color of shoes one can wear with a grey suit? black seems like it would blend more naturally but some of the pics in the gq link have a few guys in grey with dark brown shoes. I suck at color coordinating

Black all the way. It's kind of hard to pull off the gray/brown combo unless the rest of your outfit is perfect, and even then your complexion color will affect it, just like buying any kind of suit.

Black is always your safest bet, but you can get away with brown and a grey suit (especially when there is a brown color in the pinstripe, as yours appears to have).

for 40 dolla... I can't recall but the pants are either flat front or single pleat. what are your thoughts on this?

FYI, normally I prefer a 3-button suit jacket but this 2-button will suffice.

Nice deal. As far as I know the traditional rule is that pleated pants should have a cuff, and flat front pants should not. I don't think it makes much difference either way though, so go with what you like.

As for shoe color: dark brown could be ok, especially if you pick earth tones for your shirt/tie. It seems to be the fashionable choice with gray suits of late. I think black is easier to match and wear. If you have a nice pair of dark brown shoes you can always give it a shot and see what you think. I wouldn't buy a pair just for that suit though.

You can never go wrong with black shoes black belt combo.

I only do the brown shoes brown belt combo when its casual day and I wear khakis.

Brown shoes and belt work best with a nice navy suit. It all depends on the shade of brown. I think a nice dark coffee brown with a navy suit looks really sharp pink/white shirt. But that can wait until you get the job. :)

YMMV

Nice deal. As far as I know the traditional rule is that pleated pants should have a cuff, and flat front pants should not. I don't think it makes much difference either way though, so go with what you like.

As for shoe color: dark brown could be ok, especially if you pick earth tones for your shirt/tie. It seems to be the fashionable choice with gray suits of late. I think black is easier to match and wear. If you have a nice pair of dark brown shoes you can always give it a shot and see what you think. I wouldn't buy a pair just for that suit though.

+1 on the cuff rule with pleated or plain front pants.

As far as I know the traditional rule is that pleated pants should have a cuff, and flat front pants should not. I don't think it makes much difference either way though, so go with what you like.

these are flat front pants but they're cuffed which makes them look weird. doesn't matter though, i'm gonna have the suit tailored. the pants are a little tight around the waist and i'm hoping the tailor can make some room for my love handles :eek:, not to mention getting rid of the cuffs and shortening the length

Another good shoe color option to the safe, traditional black is a nice dark burgundy (some call it oxblood). This would need to be supported by the colors in the socks and tie you choose, and even with your shirt's main or accent colors. And it works best with warm greys (greys tending toward the red/brown) than with cool greys (greys tending toward the blue).

when you get the job, save up and by yourself a custom made suit.

i have 3 from india, super high quality and fits perfect.

+1 I wore a monkey suit every day for 9 years at my last job. Suits like that don't look right without the cuff.

:confused:

you guys are making my head hurt :biggrin:. is it because the suit has pinstripes that the pants should remain cuffed or because it's a business suit or both? the pants have no pleats in them and the suit is a slim fit so I kinda feel like they would look weird. I usually wear 34X30 pants, these kinda feel like they might be 34X32. when I tried the suit on for the wife she talked about how the bottom of the pants bunch up and bubble.

either way, I contacted a tailor in town and he said it would cost roughly $36 to bring out the waist and get rid of the cuffs. not bad but I'll ask his opinion on the cuffs/no cuffs thing when I bring the suit in.

I like to wear dark brown or oxblood shoes with grey suits, but only if I'm not wearing a white shirt. White is a little more formal so I think its only right to wear with black shoes. I really like the look of a grey suit with an ice blue shirt and solid navy, grey or silver tie, with black cap toes since this is little more of a formal look.

If I buy a suit that has pleats, I have them removed and add cuffs. The extra weight that cuffs provide makes the pants hang a little straighter. I think flat fronts with cuffs look great.

The most important advice I can give is to have your suit tailored to you shape, too many men look like they are wearing a sack, especially the baggy pants. You can see what I mean in SRA's post (#3) the link to GQ's project upgrade, very telling.

The most important advice I can give is to have your suit tailored to you shape, too many men look like they are wearing a sack, especially the baggy pants. You can see what I mean in SRA's post (#3) the link to GQ's project upgrade, very telling.

yeah, i'm not a fan of the baggy pant look so i've got no problems there.

Top Bottom