What's new

scored a Brooks Brothers suit today

I say flat front and no cuffs. Also, brown shoes are fine as long as they are dark. General rules are dark shoes with dark suits....the rule is general but going against it is tricky.

I say flat front and no cuffs. Also, brown shoes are fine as long as they are dark. General rules are dark shoes with dark suits....the rule is general but going against it is tricky.

I know its unusual but my flat fronts look great with cuffs, this is only because the pants are fitted. I've had many people say..."Your pants look great but I didn't know you could wear cuffs with flat front pants". As a general rule, no...but aren't rules made to be broken. Its an individual style and I like it. :w00t:

I like to wear dark brown or oxblood shoes with grey suits, but only if I'm not wearing a white shirt. White is a little more formal so I think its only right to wear with black shoes. I really like the look of a grey suit with an ice blue shirt and solid navy, grey or silver tie, with black cap toes since this is little more of a formal look.

i'm going to a fundraiser mid-November and will more than likely wear this suit. I hope it doesn't appear too formal but since it's a political fundraiser I know a lot of people will be dressed up. I might try to find a blue dress shirt to go with the suit. i've got a couple of grey ties and a black tie....would either of these go with the suit or would they clash?

I know its unusual but my flat fronts look great with cuffs, this is only because the pants are fitted. I've had many people say..."Your pants look great but I didn't know you could wear cuffs with flat front pants". As a general rule, no...but aren't rules made to be broken. Its an individual style and I like it. :w00t:

Turns out you're cutting edge! Just noticed flat front cuffed trousers in a recent Neiman's catalog! Was that you? If it was......you need to shave!

Another good shoe color option to the safe, traditional black is a nice dark burgundy (some call it oxblood). This would need to be supported by the colors in the socks and tie you choose, and even with your shirt's main or accent colors. And it works best with warm greys (greys tending toward the red/brown) than with cool greys (greys tending toward the blue).

I was going to recommend Cordovan as an option, but Oxblood is close enough. The hardest part is getting a good match between the belt and the shoes, but if you can get a solid pairing, you are most of the way there. :cool:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Cool suit. Don't sweat the cuffs vs. plain bottom question ... people get too wound up about 'rules' for that question ... work toward finding your own sense of style and make your own decisions (although I always go for plain front and no cuffs.)

Just about any shoes can be worn with that grey suit. Black is easy, and unlikely to offend the most conservative of dresser. All sorts of shades of brown, oxblood, tan ... they work well ... just not for funerals.

i'm going to a fundraiser mid-November and will more than likely wear this suit. I hope it doesn't appear too formal but since it's a political fundraiser I know a lot of people will be dressed up. I might try to find a blue dress shirt to go with the suit. i've got a couple of grey ties and a black tie....would either of these go with the suit or would they clash?

A grey tie will work fine if it's *this* grey rather than *that* grey. Black is fine. If you are going for a blue shirt, go light blue, not (ever) dark blue.

:confused:

you guys are making my head hurt :biggrin:. is it because the suit has pinstripes that the pants should remain cuffed or because it's a business suit or both? the pants have no pleats in them and the suit is a slim fit so I kinda feel like they would look weird. I usually wear 34X30 pants, these kinda feel like they might be 34X32. when I tried the suit on for the wife she talked about how the bottom of the pants bunch up and bubble.

either way, I contacted a tailor in town and he said it would cost roughly $36 to bring out the waist and get rid of the cuffs. not bad but I'll ask his opinion on the cuffs/no cuffs thing when I bring the suit in.

If I may suggest, take the suit to John at Top Shelf (31st and Lyndale S). He will be able to answer all your fashion questions and will do a great job on the alterations. He may be pricey, but well worth it.

Best of luck

I wear suits 5 days a week for work. Pant cuffs are a personal preference...I prefer them, but you may not. Either way, I think you'll do fine in your interviews!

Nice nab!

sorry to be chiming in late

Cuffs with flat front suit trousers absolutely a traditional style in American business suits. It is arguably an Ivy League style. J Press does them no other way. Hard to get more traditional than J Press. (Brooks once was nearly as traditional, but not any more.)

Plain bottoms with flat front seem hard to characerize as incorrect. It may be he Brit rule.

Otherwise, some folks think cuffs are required with pleated trousers. I would say that is the safer bet. It is probably the Brit rule.

I perfer cuffs on all trousers and slacks, myself.

If I may suggest, take the suit to John at Top Shelf (31st and Lyndale S). He will be able to answer all your fashion questions and will do a great job on the alterations. He may be pricey, but well worth it.

Best of luck

way ahead of you :biggrin:. I emailed him the other day and his rates are very reasonable. my suit is currently at the dry cleaner but once I get it back i'm bringing it to their store to get it tailored

I hesitate to mention this, and I do no consider it important at all, but you might want to ask your tailor--who sounds wonderful--about adding two more buttons to each sleeve. To me the two buttons are very much a Hugo Boss almost trademark that Brooks B was imitating.

Good looking suit! Nice versatile color, nice never out of style lapel width, nice set for the buttons. Collar seems to fall perfectly, a problem I seem to have with some of suits and I take it a hard thing for the original tailor to get just right. If you like three button suits normally as you said, but you like this one fine, that may have something to do with it. For awhile there buttons on two button suits were beinig set very low on the jacket and close together. I think it looks much nicer to be higher and does make look more toward the way a 3 button jacket looks.

You should "kill" in your interview!

I hesitate to mention this, and I do no consider it important at all, but you might want to ask your tailor--who sounds wonderful--about adding two more buttons to each sleeve. To me the two buttons are very much a Hugo Boss almost trademark that Brooks B was imitating.

Good looking suit! Nice versatile color, nice never out of style lapel width, nice set for the buttons. Collar seems to fall perfectly, a problem I seem to have with some of suits and I take it a hard thing for the original tailor to get just right. If you like three button suits normally as you said, but you like this one fine, that may have something to do with it. For awhile there buttons on two button suits were beinig set very low on the jacket and close together. I think it looks much nicer to be higher and does make look more toward the way a 3 button jacket looks.

You should "kill" in your interview!

thanks for the tips. i'll ask about adding the sleeve buttons. also, I wonder if the suit jacket would look weird if he added 1 button to the front so that it's a 3-button rather than a 2. when I emailed him about the pant cuffs he didn't seem particular interested in trends, so that's a good sign.

speaking of suit jackets, when it comes to sizing where abouts should the sleeve drop? one of my other suits if a 40R and the Brooks Bros suit feels about the same. if I let my arms hang to the side the sleeves drape just a hair over my wrist. I know that a lot of people like to show shirt cuffs so should I have the tailor look at the jacket too and see if it needs shortening?

thanks for the tips. i'll ask about adding the sleeve buttons. also, I wonder if the suit jacket would look weird if he added 1 button to the front so that it's a 3-button rather than a 2. when I emailed him about the pant cuffs he didn't seem particular interested in trends, so that's a good sign.

speaking of suit jackets, when it comes to sizing where abouts should the sleeve drop? one of my other suits if a 40R and the Brooks Bros suit feels about the same. if I let my arms hang to the side the sleeves drape just a hair over my wrist. I know that a lot of people like to show shirt cuffs so should I have the tailor look at the jacket too and see if it needs shortening?

I really do no know whether it is reasonably possible to make a two button suit coat into a three button coat. I suspect that it would take a lot of work and just might not work. For instance, I have never measured them, but I am guessing that the buttons on a three button suit coat are equally spaced and I that might put that highest button up really high, assuming you could get the roll of the lapel the way you would want it etc. I think you can move buttons around, but not button holes.

Seems to me that I have had suits or jackets where the roll of the lapel got out of shape somehow and talking to a tailor it did no seem at all cost effective to try to fix it. So I am guessing that to try to add a buttom is tough. Maybe the 2.5 button approach could work where the top button sort of rolls away as part of the lapel, but that would not change the look of the suit much anyway.

Doing an internet search for proper length of the sleeve of a suit coat brings up a variety of commentary, but my recollection is that it has been gnerally said that the end of a suit coat sleeve when the arm is loosely hanging at one's side should hit right at the very base of the thumb, that is where the wrist ends and the hand begins. There was a thread on B&B recently as to how much cuff folks show. I had thought that the traditional rule was to show 1/2 inch of cuff. But I also thought one should show a bit more of a French cuff. You definitely want to show some shirt cuff. I would not go below a 1/4" showing. To me a 1/2 inch whether of barrel cuff or French cuff looks right. I also think that as the day goes on, coat sleeves tend to pull up a bit, so if you start with 1/2 inch, as the day goes by you end up having a bit more showing, which I think is fine, but the idea being you do not want to start so short that by the end of the day it looks like you have out grown your jacket.

Massive amount of information, most of it inconsistent on all of these points!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Adding a button? Each suit jacket is made to button to a certain point, so adding a button higher up and trying to actually use that button would pull the jacket out of shape. There are suit jackets (usually called "2 roll 3") where there are three buttons on the front but the lapels naturally roll to the second (middle) button for that one to be used; the top is merely ornamental. I suppose you could talk to your tailor about that option.

Sleeve length ... your shirt sleeve should come to the end of your wrist, stopping right where your thumb is about to start. Your suit sleeve should be almost as long.

Top Bottom