What's new

Suits: Anywhere I am forgetting?

It looks like it has been a while since the last "good, inexpensive suit" thread (or search isn't working), so here is my dilemma.

I switched jobs within my company and find myself suddenly in a suit environment. I currently have two. Both Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald 1818 Saxxon suits. The jackets of those suits were a solid fit nearly off the rack. If it were a movie, the room would have lit up around me as I checked the fit out in the mirror. A tiny nip in the midsection, adjust the sleeves, hem the pants and the suit is ready. Great Saxxon wool fabric. I had a 40% off coupon, so I recently went back to BB after learning about the job and picked up a regular Fitzgerald 1818. Not as nice as the Saxxon fabric, but still a nice fit from the start. I wear a 36S in them, so the selection is usually pretty thin, and the coupon was only good in-store. Plus I wanted as quick a turnaround as possible. So I'll have 3 as of Monday, unless something happened with the suit.

I'd like to add a couple more, but don't want to spend $800 (I have a 20% anything until the end of April or May from BB left) each. So I've been to Macy's, Lord and Taylor, Nordstrom Rack (2 locations), and JAB seeing if there is anything that catches my eye. Nothing. Lord and Taylor didn't even have my size on the floor. Many just feel cheap and they don't fit as well off the rack. I know tailoring can fix a lot, but it is nice to picture how you will look without too much imagination. JAB's latest fire sale actually didn't include the "slim fit" suits. Those are still $650. No thanks.

Regular Nordstrom won't offer much of a discount in price compared to BB and I felt the Boss suits that were a little more inexpensive in price, were a larger step down in quality. Hickey Freeman or HSM kicks you back into Brooks Brothers price range or higher. I am very much down on the quality Banana Republic puts out these days and had a hard time justifying their price even when it was on sale last week. JCrew is a bit too aggressive in their slim fits for me and nearly the same price as the big boys. It is a fairly conservative office environment.

So, is there anywhere I've missed? I'm in the DC area, and I should have pretty much any store available. I'd be more comfortable with a $3-400 tab for each. Or maybe I should just suck it up and buy 1 more 1818 instead of 2 and make do with that. But seeing as though I am realizing my AE shoes might not fit me correctly (rarely wore them the last two years...kept them for when I wore suits, which was fairly rare), I may need some shoe money too. I can only take so much of the shoe pressing into my toe bone walking from the train. They felt fine other times I wore them, but that is a whole other discussion. Too bad the two pair of AEs I own, I bought from Nordstrom and Endless.com. AE retail would potentially swap them out. One pair isn't even worn yet, but over a year old.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Go for a nice long walk in your AE shoes.

Assuming that you are feeling comfortable when you get back, go suck it up and buy one more BB suit. Normally I wouldn't say that, but ... finding suits that fit you that well right off the rack ... that's "your suit" from here on in.

... then keep an eagle eye out for another 40% sale and stock up.

Congrats on the new job. Since you live in Leesburg, drop by Off 5th, Sak's outlet store. That's the only outlet store I would recommend. Brooks Brothers will be having their Bi-Annual sale this June. I only buy the Saxxon wool suits, seems like an upgraded fabric compared to their normal fabric.

It looks like it has been a while since the last "good, inexpensive suit" thread (or search isn't working), so here is my dilemma.

I switched jobs within my company and find myself suddenly in a suit environment. I currently have two. Both Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald 1818 Saxxon suits. The jackets of those suits were a solid fit nearly off the rack. If it were a movie, the room would have lit up around me as I checked the fit out in the mirror. A tiny nip in the midsection, adjust the sleeves, hem the pants and the suit is ready. Great Saxxon wool fabric. I had a 40% off coupon, so I recently went back to BB after learning about the job and picked up a regular Fitzgerald 1818. Not as nice as the Saxxon fabric, but still a nice fit from the start. I wear a 36S in them, so the selection is usually pretty thin, and the coupon was only good in-store. Plus I wanted as quick a turnaround as possible. So I'll have 3 as of Monday, unless something happened with the suit.

I'd like to add a couple more, but don't want to spend $800 (I have a 20% anything until the end of April or May from BB left) each. So I've been to Macy's, Lord and Taylor, Nordstrom Rack (2 locations), and JAB seeing if there is anything that catches my eye. Nothing. Lord and Taylor didn't even have my size on the floor. Many just feel cheap and they don't fit as well off the rack. I know tailoring can fix a lot, but it is nice to picture how you will look without too much imagination. JAB's latest fire sale actually didn't include the "slim fit" suits. Those are still $650. No thanks.

Regular Nordstrom won't offer much of a discount in price compared to BB and I felt the Boss suits that were a little more inexpensive in price, were a larger step down in quality. Hickey Freeman or HSM kicks you back into Brooks Brothers price range or higher. I am very much down on the quality Banana Republic puts out these days and had a hard time justifying their price even when it was on sale last week. JCrew is a bit too aggressive in their slim fits for me and nearly the same price as the big boys. It is a fairly conservative office environment.

So, is there anywhere I've missed? I'm in the DC area, and I should have pretty much any store available. I'd be more comfortable with a $3-400 tab for each. Or maybe I should just suck it up and buy 1 more 1818 instead of 2 and make do with that. But seeing as though I am realizing my AE shoes might not fit me correctly (rarely wore them the last two years...kept them for when I wore suits, which was fairly rare), I may need some shoe money too. I can only take so much of the shoe pressing into my toe bone walking from the train. They felt fine other times I wore them, but that is a whole other discussion. Too bad the two pair of AEs I own, I bought from Nordstrom and Endless.com. AE retail would potentially swap them out. One pair isn't even worn yet, but over a year old.

not sure how recently you were in J Crew at Tyson's Galleria but I was there on Wednesday and they have a grey and a blue summer wool suit that didn't have the same slimmed down Parisian runway vibe to them. I think the trends are toward wider lapels (gradually). But they do still have the straight leg fit and only a very slight break. They also have a lightweight seersucker suit which is tremendous in the summer with some bucks. I hear what you're saying though about this town. Pleating never went out of style. I got a blue, pin striped hickey freeman suit on sale from Off Saks a couple years ago for 500. I think the previous advice about going there is probably a good steer. Best of luck

Thanks for the input. I forgot the outlet mall right by me has Off Saks and a Barney's outlet. I actually found something decent a while back the Barney's store (Hickey Freeman I think), but I wasn't using the suits I had, so I passed. If I can get away from my house, I'd also like to get to the AE store today in Reston to see if I am sized correctly, there is a JCrew there too. I haven't been in a JCrew store in a while, I just flip through the catalogs they send and saw the usual "Ludlow" suits that are pretty "skinny".

In regards to the shoes, I have walked in them quite a bit this week. I wore them Friday, Monday, Tuesday, Wed. and my day. I work in a large building, and being new, I had to run all over to get paperwork done and such. I've probably put 2-3 miles on them in the last week before I needed a break and went back to my J&M shows Thursday and Friday. Those are Park Aves. I have a pair of Kenilworths I had lying in wait for a year, since I grabbed them on sale and didn't quite need them yet. They haven't been worn at all, but seemed to be the right fit. The Park Aves seem to be a good fit too, but the Nordstrom guy and I might not know what we are talking about. There doesn't appear to be a time restriction on Endless, now "Amazon Fashion"'s return policy, so maybe I can salvage them if size is my problem.

Just an update. The Saks store has some potential. The Saks "Red" suits, Made in USA with Zegna cloth seemed nice and the jacket was a decent fit. Unfortunately the sale of the day was B1G1, and I only saw one I liked in my size. I'll have to check back sometime. Not sure what the construction is on those, even Ask Andy and Style Forum don't seem to have much on them.

As for the Allen Edmonds situation, I went to the AE store and explained my issue and was interested in buying some brown shoes. Upon being measured, I am apparently more a 7.5 (closer to a 7 though on the left, and a little closer to an 8 on the right) and narrow B/C. Upon checking the system, AE only makes 3 styles in that size. He put me in a pair of the Park Aves I have and could see the issue. He suggested an regular old insert to try and "fill the space" better in the shoe. Meanwhile he is ordering one of the rare narrow shoes just to check size, and then I guess I can consider custom ordering a pair. Hopefully they don't hit you too hard in the wallet for that.

I'm still not sure how the width thing works I guess. My Park Aves do not feel "loose" on the side, rather the problem is on the top. There is too much room in there, so the leather is pressing down in a point.

Top Bottom