What's new

Schick Type O is Being Produced Again

I remember when I first got mine, the head was tight and I could not get the Personna key to go in fully. I had to load Personna blades in an old empty Schick key to load. After a couple of times, the Personna key worked. It was a matter of just loosening the head up by inserting a key several times.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, the good news is I received a response to my email about my problem with the EBarbershop product. They apologized, said it sounded like I got a defective one, and are replacing it. Will report when that example has been received and tested, but at least they are responsive to my concerns.

Fasa asked for a side by side, how about and over/under? Genuine article on the top obviously

View attachment 686948

Attachments

• $IMG_8327.jpg
    $IMG_8327.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 210
Thanks for the picture, Gary. I'm glad that they are so responsive. If you per chance email them again, you might ask them where the razors are made--just to satisfy santamariasteve's and my curiosity.

garyg

To follow-up with my earlier post - I did receive a replacement razor, and this one readily accepted a real blade. So they did make right the defective example I received poriginally. I haven't had any additional email with the company since my complaint, and thus haven't had a chance to ask country of origin/manufacture.

I remember when I first got mine, the head was tight and I could not get the Personna key to go in fully. I had to load Personna blades in an old empty Schick key to load. After a couple of times, the Personna key worked. It was a matter of just loosening the head up by inserting a key several times.

100% what I experienced last night upon the first blade loading. A little, light, oil and several insertions with a Schick key seemed to solve the problem.

1st shave was this morning. I have a full coverage beard which, due to age, is pretty light in color. I did a one pass shave with buffing, I have very sensitive skin. I like this razor, it is very comfortable, it did not shave me as closely as my G injectors, but was still presentable. Next time I will do 2 passes. WTG and then XTG. I think this will cure any stubble problem, and will not cause any discomfort.

The quality control was no issue with this product. I felt I got my money's worth and would buy it again.

Regards,
Ron I

After doing some searching, it seems the only place to buy the twin blades for this razor is on eBay. Since some guys have said that the twin blades work the best in this razor, I can't see buying the razor if you can't get the blades.

So this razor is basically Schick's answer to Gillettes's Trac II. I wonder if it is as good? Anyone tried both of them?

I have both of them and have tried both of them. I really don't like Gillette's Trac II because it is so mild (even with the Gillette twin blade) that I can't get a decent shave, but I love the Type O with the Schick twins. Besides, I seem to remember the Schick being introduced before the Trac II, so that would mean that the Trac II was Gillette's answer to the Schick twin.

I have both of them and have tried both of them. I really don't like Gillette's Trac II because it is so mild (even with the Gillette twin blade) that I can't get a decent shave, but I love the Type O with the Schick twins. Besides, I seem to remember the Schick being introduced before the Trac II, so that would mean that the Trac II was Gillette's answer to the Schick twin.

+1. Been decades since I tried a trac 2, but I recall it being too mild.

The Gillette Trac II came out in 1971. Do you know when the Schick Twin came out?

The Gillette Trac II came out in 1971. Do you know when the Schick Twin came out?

The Schick twin blades came out during the Type L series, 1965 - 1980, because Schick mailed them with a Type L to college students and other people as part of an advertising campaign. If I remember correctly, they were early in the series, certainly before 1971. I went into the service in 1967, and I remember using them early in my Air Force career.

The Schick twin blades came out during the Type L series, 1965 - 1980, because Schick mailed them with a Type L to college students and other people as part of an advertising campaign. If I remember correctly, they were early in the series, certainly before 1971. I went into the service in 1967, and I remember using them early in my Air Force career.

That's interesting. I always thought the Trac II was the first cartridge razor. BTW, I went in the Air Force in 1969.

If you ask me the Schick Twin blade is an entirely different animal than the Trac II. There is no gap in the twin blade as the blades are bonded together, as opposed to the gap between the Trac II and subsequent multi blade razors.
The twin blade gives to me a far superior shave.

garyg

Well, in order for it to be "Twin" there has to be two (edges), and there is a gap between the two. In my experience, going back to the old days when they first appeared, that gap tends to clog with stubble swarf pretty quickly ..

I've tried the older ones as well as the terribly expensive new versions from Japan, and for me the clogging pretty much negates any advantage the twins might have over my favorite Plus Platinum blades.

Well, Gary, all I can say is that your experience is different from mine. I've also used the twin blades in the long ago, as well as recently, and I've never experienced a twin blade clogging. Maybe it's just my beard, but I shaved with a Schick II twin blade just a few minutes ago, and I inspected it before rinsing it out. There were no clogs.

However, I also really like the Plus Platinum blades in my older Schick and non-schack razors, so we can heartily agree on that.

garyg

Yeah Steve, another one of those pesky old YMMVs .. I used a twin for a bit just last month during SEptember and had the same experience as before. So I won't be competing for the supply of twin injector blades, but still pick up Plus Plats when I see them NOS at a reasonable price.

Just to note that the Type O was sold in the US from about 1998-2002 online and by phone by Warner-Lambert until Pfizer decided to discontinue it. I ordered a couple back then. Courtesy of the Wayback Machine here is the type O used to illustrate the shaving page of their website after Pfizer took over Warner-Lambert, but before they shut it down. Shaving Products If you click on it, you'll see it was $3.99 with 5 blades.

Just to note that the Type O was sold in the US from about 1998-2002 online and by phone by Warner-Lambert until Pfizer decided to discontinue it. I ordered a couple back then. Courtesy of the Wayback Machine here is the type O used to illustrate the shaving page of their website after Pfizer took over Warner-Lambert, but before they shut it down. Shaving Products If you click on it, you'll see it was $3.99 with 5 blades.
Cool find! I hadn't seen that site before.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I'll just call 1-800- 654-1910 between the hours of 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. EST, Monday morning. It will be a great way to buy myself some blades, and my buddies razors for Christmas presents.

Top Bottom