What's new

Schick Type O is Being Produced Again

I bought a very rare NOS Schick Type O Injector razor (the last model in production) a couple of years ago and have been using it for the past few months. Recently, I have seen some threads mentioning a knock-off of the Type O that is available from eBarbershop. Out of curiosity, I bought one in order to compare it to my actual Type O. When it arrived, I was astonished to find that it is almost identical to my original. The build quality is virtually the same in every respect, as is the appearance with the exception of the Schick brand on the head and the word Injector on the handle. They are the same right down to the number of bumps on the handle. The only things I could find after a detailed examination were that the small diamond-shaped indentations on the head were deeper on the original, and the buffing of the metal under the chrome plating was very slightly smoother on the original. Oddly enough, the plating is heavier and shinier on the copy than on the original. One final difference was a tiny bit of flash left on the rubber handle of the copy which was left over from the mold, but a snip with a cuticle scissors removed that. In my estimation, in terms of appearance and build quality, the two are identical.

I next wanted to compare the shaves. I used the copy on a two-day growth of beard with a Japanese Schick II Twin blade, which is the blade that the original razor was designed to use. Both razors can also use a single Injector blade, but the shave is not as close or smooth. Imagine my delight when I found that the copy shaved identically to the original--in a word, superbly. In a blind test, I doubt that I would have noticed any difference whatsoever. I am extremely happy to find that such an excellent razor is still being made, and my hat is off to eBarbershop for making such a wonderful razor available again to the shaving public, especially at the price being asked.

For anyone wishing to experience a Schick Type O Injector, but who does not want to spend upwards of $200 for one, I can heartily endorse the Schick clone from eBarbershop. I can only hope that they get around to reproducing the Schick Type F and the Feather Injector razor some day.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I have no way to take them or to include them in my thread.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that I made a wise decision a year ago when I picked it up. Not having shaved with a Type O before, all I could go on was the fact that my razor was well made, comfortable in the hand and gave a great shave. I also heartily endorse the eBarbershop clone. Hopefully my venture into checking out the new wave of Tech clones actually turn up something good. This time around I actually have a Tech to compare with.

Will the copy age as well as the real thing ? They might be a good alternative for those not ready to pay the type o premium... I don't have an ebarber to compare mine too unfortunately as they do not ship internationally...

Sent from Mars

I haven't had it long enough to see how it would age, but it is enough like the original that I would think that it would age gracefully. It really is surprising how true to the original the copy is.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Steve - interesting to hear, can you comment on the relative aggression of the clone? I have an O from several years ago that was pretty mild, it seemed to follow the Schick progression from wild to mild as the years rolled on.

XX, who specifically manufactures it? And in what country is it made? And I wonder what the motivation was for a company to make it, as many would have to be sold to justify the investment.

Also, why would there be a huge market for a Type O, when there are many late model injectors on ebay that are somewhat similar in mild aggression.

Her is what it looks like:

proxy.php

XX, who specifically manufactures it? And in what country is it made? And I wonder what the motivation was for a company to make it, as many would have to be sold to justify the investment.

Also, why would there be a huge market for a Type O, when there are many late model injectors on ebay that are somewhat similar in mild aggression.

The Schick Type O is one of these "unobtanium" razors being in very limited production only in Japan. The fact that it was officially the last injector model made by Schick adds to the unobtanium rating.

As far as who makes it and from what country, all that is irrelevant because it is a well built and smooth shaving razor at a reasonable price. I would like to believe that the company that decided to make them saw a market out there for folks like me lusting for a Type O but being too cheap to pay $300 for one.

Steve - interesting to hear, can you comment on the relative aggression of the clone? I have an O from several years ago that was pretty mild, it seemed to follow the Schick progression from wild to mild as the years rolled on.

I haven't tried the clone with a single injector blade yet, but I have used the Type O with one. I agree that with a single blade, the Type O shaves like a Type L or Type N. However, with a Twin blade like the Japanese Schick II, it is a completely different razor and provides extremely close and comfortable shaves. It doesn't strike me as particularly aggressive, but it is superbly efficient.

I have no idea who manufactures it or in what country it was made, but it is definitely not the same as the old National Campus clones which were unmitigated junk made in China. Since the last Schicks, the Type Os, were only sold in Japan, it might be that they are made in Japan, rather than in China. I couldn't say for sure, but I'd almost be willing to speculate that they come off the original assembly line, or at least were made by the same tooling--the build quality is that good. Regarding the market, we will just have to wait and see if they sell in any quantity. The seller, eBarbershop, is not well-known and doesn't seem to advertise very much. In fact, it states on their web site that they rely on word-of-mouth advertising. I have no affiliation with eBarbershop, and certainly don't intend to shill for them, but I was pleasantly enough surprised at how good the razor is that I thought that you gents might appreciate a comparison with the real deal.

The Schick Type O is one of these "unobtanium" razors being in very limited production only in Japan. The fact that it was officially the last injector model made by Schick adds to the unobtanium rating.

As far as who makes it and from what country, all that is irrelevant because it is a well built and smooth shaving razor at a reasonable price. I would like to believe that the company that decided to make them saw a market out there for folks like me lusting for a Type O but being too cheap to pay $300 for one.

Well said, gvw755. For someone who is interested in currently-manufactured Injector razors, it is a possibility that can't be ignored. Perhaps it signals a resurgence in interest in manufacturing successful designs once again.

I only hope that such an interest will also carry over into making the Twin blades again.

Thanks, Steve! :thumbup1:

I purchased one of these not long ago, and was most impressed by the build quality. I wondered how it compared to the real Schick Type O, but (surprise!) I don't happen to have one lying around. :001_huh:

Here are a couple of pictures of the clone:

$SchickO_clone1.jpg

$schickO_clone2.jpg

The razor comes in your choice of a gift box or travel case. The travel case (pictured above) is solid and protects the razor nicely, although it looks rather generic.

As Steve mentioned, the razor was designed for twin blades:

$SchickO-twin.jpg

--Bob

Thanks for the pictures, Bob. I don't have any way to provide them. In your first and second pictures, you can see the place on the lower handle where the word "Injector" appears on the original. The word "Schick" appears on the back of the shave head in your third pic on the original, but not on the clone. Those are the only two differences between the real Type O and the clone.

I don't know, Brian. The only place I have seen them is on eBarber. If you find out, please let me know.

heres a question, how does it compare to the PAL adjustable, when used with a single blade? I spent a year trying to find a way to get an actual Schick O. its easier finding mint condition senators or Sheratons in the original factory package.

The reports are that the new Type O with a single blade is mild, similar to a Type L.

The Pal Adjustable is a favorite of mine. One can adjust it from mild to very aggressive.

I have a tough 80 year old beard that requires a moderately aggressive razor. I use my Pal Adjustable on a setting 4, with 5 being maximum and 3 being average aggression.

Last edited:
The reports are that the new Type O with a single blade is mild, similar to a Type L.

The Pal Adjustable is a favorite of mine. One can adjust it from mild to very aggressive.

I have a tough 80 year old beard that requires a moderately aggressive razor. I use my Pal Adjustable on a setting 4, with 5 being maximum and 3 being average aggression.

I agree with that. My type o is mild but works great with a twin.

Sent from Mars

Top Bottom