What's new

Schick Type J with Loose Head

I got a Schick type J as part of a small lot of razors I won on Ebay. The razor has a loose head on it and will not hold a blade. The bar guard rattles around like the spring is not holding it tight enough against the back part of the head. I tried to show in picture two how big the space is between the two parts.

Is there a way to fix this? I really like the razor, it looks nice and I would like to get it in working condition.

Thanks,
Chad

Attachments

• $IMAG0304.jpg
    $IMAG0304.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 67
  • $IMAG0305.jpg
    $IMAG0305.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 66
  • $IMAG0306.jpg
    $IMAG0306.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 66
You can try to bend the spring back in place very gently. It looks like someone in the past spread the head way too far open.

I have repaired several injectors with this style of head. However, it requires you to remove the handle, disassemble the head, re-adjust the tab that holds the top head piece to the spring, and then put every thing back together again. The spring on these are usually fine, but the tab I mentioned loosens and that is why the head itself then becomes loose.

Check to see if there is some type of rivet holding the handle to the head. If there is not, then you should be able to pull the handle off from the head. This is the tricky part because if you do not pull perfectly straight out, you will break the handle. Remember, it is just plastic, old plastic, and after all this time, it can easily break. I usually pull in stages. I gradually pull and check to see if the handle is coming apart. The head and the handle are usually held together by friction so you can pull it out, just don't get impatient and expect to just pull it out easily.

Once the handle is off, you will see a little tab that is part of the top piece of the head. You can try to tighten this tab by compressing it. This usually fixes the problem. If it does not then you have to gently pry it just enough to be able to take everything apart. Then you can adjust the spring and then put everything back together again. Make sure the head it tight again and then reinsert the head into the handle and you are good to go, assuming you did not break anything. :001_tt2:

Here is a link to my post over at SMF with pictures and descriptions. In this link I took apart a Schick injector stick shift:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45978&highlight=schick+injector+stick+shift

I've never had this problem, but if I did, I think I would try to snip something metal, probably an injector blade, to the same width as the spring, and try to slip it between the spring and the guard bar. This should tighten up the unit. I don't believe bending the spring back to original will be possible, but maybe with a needle nose pliers, one tip in the hole of the spring, and one tip at the top of the spring, it could work?

I've never had this problem, but if I did, I think I would try to snip something metal, probably an injector blade, to the same width as the spring, and try to slip it between the spring and the guard bar. This should tighten up the unit. I don't believe bending the spring back to original will be possible, but maybe with a needle nose pliers, one tip in the hole of the spring, and one tip at the top of the spring, it could work?

Once everything has been taken apart, the head can be easily fixed. Even in the rare case where you have to readjust the spring, it can be easily done when the head is disassembled. What you are suggesting may not work that well, since the head has to open up to accept a new blade and eject the old one. Anything you "slip" in there will move around when you are trying to load blades. Like I said it is usually the metal tab that hold everything together that is loose and needs to be tighten. The process is not as difficult as it sounds (Explanations always seem complex. Imagine telling someone how to tie their shoe laces), you just have to be careful.

Oh $&!#, I was hoping on something simple, like duct tape & baling twine. Well it wasn't the razor I was really gunning for in the lot anyway, so I'll give this a go. Thanks a ton for the info.
Chad

The procedure was a success! :w00t: I didn't break anything. The spring had a slight bend in the base (pic #3) and needed to be straightened (pic #4). For diagnosis, I think doug1066 was correct, it seems someone pried the head open, maybe to get out a blade and they didn't have an injector key.

Thank you for coming through again, Gents. Themba you saved another valued injector from the waste pile.

I think it's time for a mojito.

Chad

Attachments

• $IMAG0307.jpg
    $IMAG0307.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 51
  • $IMAG0308.jpg
    $IMAG0308.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 49
  • $IMAG0309.jpg
    $IMAG0309.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 47