What's new

Loose Gillette Atra Head

I recently received an aluminum Atra handle from a family member and the head is loose although the cartridge attachment mechanism works just fine. Is there any known way to fix the looseness between the head and handle or will I just have to deal with it? I was thinking I could just add a very small amount of solder or epoxy to the space and that could tighten it up. Any suggestions welcome and thanks!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Maybe if you could add a photo of what you are talking about it may help us to give you the best possible advice. We loves our photos.

Welcome to the forum. Maybe if you could add a photo of what you are talking about it may help us to give you the best possible advice. We loves our photos.
I forgot to take a pic before I left today so this isn't my razor, but here's the area I'm referring to:
il_570xN.2182630996_4yp3.jpg
It's just a little loose side to side and up and down. I'm pretty certain the head isn't going to just fall out but it's definitely lost it's rigidity. I'm not sure how they join these two halves together in the factory, but if the actual mechanism ever breaks I'll tear it apart and find out. I've heard rough handling can cause this issue so that's probably what did it.

Update: I used epoxy and with a toothpick I carefully applied it to the joint. It actually turned out very well! I wiped up any excess with a slightly damp paper towel and you can’t even tell it’s there since it dries clear. You really just have to let gravity do the work without globing a ton on and go slow. I let a little fall in the joint and tapped the side of the razor to get the epoxy to flow. At the moment it seems very solid and we’ll have to see if it holds.

IMG_5305.jpegIMG_5308.jpegIMG_5309.jpeg

I ran a painters tape around the handle to form a small channel. I then put the razor in a vice to hold it. Then I filled the channel with super glue. The glue is thin enough to fill the gap between the head and handle. Let it sit overnight. Remove the tape and any visible glue. Finally, shave in bliss.

I ran a painters tape around the handle to form a small channel. I then put the razor in a vice to hold it. Then I filled the channel with super glue. The glue is thin enough to fill the gap between the head and handle. Let it sit overnight. Remove the tape and any visible glue. Finally, shave in bliss.
That’s a great idea, if I run into this issue again I’ll give it a shot!

Top Bottom