What's new

Schick Proline AC type blades

It is steeper than Rakuten. But Shearworld maintains inventory in the U.S., so you don't have to wait for a packet from Japan or deal with confusing currency translation or shipping options. And these blades last a long time. A P-30 pack is a year's worth, so the extra $7 isn't that onerous in real terms, just percentage terms. It's an extra 60 cents per month to order from Shearworld, and my time is worth at least that.

I had my blades in about 2 weeks which is not bad. Although the Rakuten site is a bit confusing at first it's not all that bad. If I can do it anyone can.
With that said, you are correct that in the grand scheme of things it's not really a lot more money. Convenience is worth money. Look at what we pay for a snack in a vending machine.

I had my blades in about 2 weeks which is not bad. Although the Rakuten site is a bit confusing at first it's not all that bad. If I can do it anyone can.
With that said, you are correct that in the grand scheme of things it's not really a lot more money. Convenience is worth money. Look at what we pay for a snack in a vending machine.

Like you, however, I like finding a bargain. And you found one. There's value in that. Good on ya.

This is for 10 P-30 packs, 300 blades:

Thank you for shopping at MRM RAKUTEN ICHIBA SHOP!
To complete payment for your order, kindly follow the instructions in this email.

------------------------------------------------------------
■Order Details
【Order Number】xxxxxxxx
【Order Time】 2017-07-06 06:28:33
【Amount due】 11,560 JPY - ~ $105

* The amount above includes shipping fees.
* Any custom duties or other import taxes are to be paid by the customer.

■Guidance
Questions? Kindly contact us at the e-mail address below:

■Store name : MRM RAKUTEN ICHIBA SHOP
■Store URL : http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/ha-life/
MRM RAKUTEN ICHIBA SHOP | 日本樂天市場: 從日本店家搜羅各大熱門日貨
http://global.rakuten.com/zh-cn/store/ha-life/
http://global.rakuten.com/ko/store/ha-life/
■Email address: ha-[email protected]

For those buying 200-300 blades at a time, there are now several sellers on eBay offering prices around $100-130. Maybe slightly higher than Rakuten, but you get to deal with a 100% English site and get eBay buyer protection. Might be worth a slightly higher price.

D

Deleted member 48987

I find the prolines to be about 80% as sharp as the feather pros but much more forgiving.

This is for 10 P-30 packs, 300 blades:
【Order Number】xxxxxxxx
【Order Time】 2017-07-06 06:28:33
【Amount due】 11,560 JPY - ~ $105
* The amount above includes shipping fees.
* Any custom duties or other import taxes are to be paid by the customer.
they came today.... i'm impressed!

they came today.... i'm impressed!

That's pretty quick. I ordered some from eBay on June 22. Seller didn't ship until the 30th and nearly 2 weeks later they still haven't even checked into US Customs yet. Going to take a full month for mine to arrive. :sad:

That's pretty quick. I ordered some from eBay on June 22. Seller didn't ship until the 30th and nearly 2 weeks later they still haven't even checked into US Customs yet. Going to take a full month for mine to arrive. :sad:

I got mine in about 2 weeks from Japan.

Today I was able to give the Proline blade a go in my aluminum General this morning and though too early to really say yeah or nay here are a couple observations I had. Firstly, I use either a Feather Pro Guard or a Kai MG as they were the only blades I have been able to use consistently to achieve the shave I desire. The Proline I will say on one days growth was smooth but I found that it wasn't as efficient as my guarded blade shaves.

A little background on that is recently I have changed from shallow angle shaving to steep angle shaving and have been able to knock down my shave passes from 4 to 3 due to that. They have been solid 3 pass shaves with no buffing at all. In the past I found that any buffing just leads to irritation and that is what we all are trying to avoid as we evolve in shaving!! Today I found it necessary to due a 4th pass under my jawline and my full neck and then a minor amount of buffing and this led to.....irritation after the shave. Not much, but irritation none the less which didn't last very long though. As I sit here 1 hour+ later I feel as though I did get a DFS as usual but can still feel stubble ATG on my neck and just the slightest irritation and only when I stroke ATG. It will pass in the next few hours I'm sure and can't wait to feel what it will be like in several hours.

Obviously I need a few more shaves on this blade to make a solid evaluation of it and I feel as though I need to revisit the Feather Pro and Kai Mild blades as well since I have a couple left to round out the evaluation. This might take a while!!

Thanks again to @rabidus for being so generous to send a few blades to me...

Today I was able to give the Proline blade a go in my aluminum General this morning and though too early to really say yeah or nay here are a couple observations I had. Firstly, I use either a Feather Pro Guard or a Kai MG as they were the only blades I have been able to use consistently to achieve the shave I desire. The Proline I will say on one days growth was smooth but I found that it wasn't as efficient as my guarded blade shaves.

A little background on that is recently I have changed from shallow angle shaving to steep angle shaving and have been able to knock down my shave passes from 4 to 3 due to that. They have been solid 3 pass shaves with no buffing at all. In the past I found that any buffing just leads to irritation and that is what we all are trying to avoid as we evolve in shaving!! Today I found it necessary to due a 4th pass under my jawline and my full neck and then a minor amount of buffing and this led to.....irritation after the shave. Not much, but irritation none the less which didn't last very long though. As I sit here 1 hour+ later I feel as though I did get a DFS as usual but can still feel stubble ATG on my neck and just the slightest irritation and only when I stroke ATG. It will pass in the next few hours I'm sure and can't wait to feel what it will be like in several hours.

Obviously I need a few more shaves on this blade to make a solid evaluation of it and I feel as though I need to revisit the Feather Pro and Kai Mild blades as well since I have a couple left to round out the evaluation. This might take a while!!

Thanks again to @rabidus for being so generous to send a few blades to me...

I haven't tried the Guard blades. Their purpose is for a safer shave in the Artist Club str8 razors, so I haven't considered using them. But their design doesn't benefit or hurt the AC SE razors. You and another member has given the Guard blades a good review, thanks for the comparison.

The high price for less blades is probably why they are not used by more people.

i used Proline this morning..
Very, VERY smooth blade, feels almost like there is no blade at all. I used an aluminum Mongoose, v.1 (if there is such a thing) and T&S soap. It's such a mild blade i did another pass - i usually do 3. No irritation what so ever.
i'll try a few more razors, see how it goes. Thus far i'm happy, i just have to get used to such a mild blade. My go to are Kai Pink and Feather Pro, although Proline doesn't feel as sharp is waaaay milder, yet seems to be efficient.

Very, VERY smooth blade, feels almost like there is no blade at all. I used an aluminum Mongoose, v.1 (if there is such a thing) and T&S soap. .

Yes there is a V1 Mongoose in aluminum. They only made 200 of the V1 with the squared off head.

Mongoose8.JPG

that's what i have, i bought it when it first came out...
a year later i meant to buy another but, having a degree in procrastination, i missed it... nowhere to be found again.

The Proline works very well in my Rx. It's fairly sharp with a smooth and forgiving, feeling shave. Worked great in the SS DLC Hawk. This blades a keeper for AC style blades. Now to see how long it will last.....
IMG_0940.JPG

Very, VERY smooth blade, feels almost like there is no blade at all. I used an aluminum Mongoose, v.1 (if there is such a thing) and T&S soap. It's such a mild blade i did another pass - i usually do 3. No irritation what so ever.
i'll try a few more razors, see how it goes. Thus far i'm happy, i just have to get used to such a mild blade. My go to are Kai Pink and Feather Pro, although Proline doesn't feel as sharp is waaaay milder, yet seems to be efficient.
As Ron said, there is a V1 Alumigoose and the blade is very open in it--so that's something if the Proline feels like it's barely there.

So I gave the Proline blade another go this morning on 2 days growth as I felt I had the slightest irritation still yesterday feeling ATG on my jawline and neck. Todays shave was a much better experience. I think the only thing I can really make a decidedly comment so far is the Proline blade is just the same as any other blade I have used to date and BBS is just not attainable for me at any cost. Its all good because DFS is what I strive to achieve when I do shave. I have no doubt that my DFS is probably equal to 90%+ BBS shaves that are had my many and that is why I'm ok with that.

As to the shave this morning, I probably could've stopped after the XTG N-S / ATG passes but decided to do an XTG S-N on my neck and under the jawline. I'd have to say it was very passable in my book and I'm sure with a few more shaves on this blade I will be able to hone in a very comfortable close shave every day. Dare I say it could possibly dethrone the Pro Guard blade I've been using but most likely will be used in addition to... I look forward to my shave tomorrow to see what it will be like.

So I gave the Proline blade another go this morning on 2 days growth as I felt I had the slightest irritation still yesterday feeling ATG on my jawline and neck. Todays shave was a much better experience. I think the only thing I can really make a decidedly comment so far is the Proline blade is just the same as any other blade I have used to date and BBS is just not attainable for me at any cost. Its all good because DFS is what I strive to achieve when I do shave. I have no doubt that my DFS is probably equal to 90%+ BBS shaves that are had my many and that is why I'm ok with that.

As to the shave this morning, I probably could've stopped after the XTG N-S / ATG passes but decided to do an XTG S-N on my neck and under the jawline. I'd have to say it was very passable in my book and I'm sure with a few more shaves on this blade I will be able to hone in a very comfortable close shave every day. Dare I say it could possibly dethrone the Pro Guard blade I've been using but most likely will be used in addition to... I look forward to my shave tomorrow to see what it will be like.

The General/Proline combo is an excellent combo, but any of my GEM razors with a GEM SS PTFE blade is better. I can hit a more shallow angle which slices my stubble easily ATG.

The Micromatic OC is at top of the efficiency ladder. The Clog Pruf has the same feel, but is more forgiving.

If you can't get a BBS shave with a MMOC, then I don't know what to tell you. My head shaves are a lot harder on a blade than my face, it takes multiple strokes ATG on my head to get BBS results. At the shallow angle I use, the blade slides and doesn't scrape the skin.

I'd be happy to loan you my MMOC and some blades if you want to try it! Let me know if you're interested.

Top Bottom