What's new

Scale recommendations?

So I finally decided to lose some weight...I think I'm doing all right (given that my belt's getting a bit looser), but I really need to be tracking my progress. Any of y'all have recommendations as to bathroom scales? I'd picked up a cheapo one from Wal-Mart that was accurate to, eh, perhaps +/- 10lb, which seems slightly less accurate than looking at your gut in the mirror and guessing...I'm looking for something rather more accurate.

I would imagine that a sporting goods store would have some decent scales. Maybe a medical supply store would as well. Good luck.

A digital scale for precision, an analog scale for aesthetics. :thumbsup:

Salter is a good choice for the latter, you should be able to find one for ~$50 or less online. Great scale, but you'll have to zero it from time to time to keep it calibrated. But you're a traditional wetshaver, right? Shouldn't be a problem. :001_smile

Good for you on choosing to lose weight and good luck.

My suggestion is to not get one. Get your eating in order and get stronger and better conditioned the rest will take of itself.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If what you are measuring is your progress, rather than whether or not you are under or over a particular cut-off (like atheletes in weight-division competition who have to "make their weight") ...

... then any scale will do. If it's wrong, it should at least be consistently wrong, so if you lose 10 lbs it will tell you ... even if in reality you went from 240 to 225 rather than 245 to 230.

forget a scale. Keep measuring by loops in your belt or how high the pile of clothes that dont fit is.

the problem with constant weighing is you will plataue at some point. the number will stay the same. or you'll start lifting weights and put on muscle and the number may go up. the number on the scale doesnt define the level of fitness.

forget a scale. Keep measuring by loops in your belt or how high the pile of clothes that dont fit is.

the problem with constant weighing is you will plataue at some point. the number will stay the same. or you'll start lifting weights and put on muscle and the number may go up. the number on the scale doesnt define the level of fitness.

+1 many times actually :thumbup1:

I started working out and lifting weights at the gym about 6 months ago. I occasionally weigh myself and I find that it can fluctuate by 3-5 pounds depending on the time of day, whether I've eaten recently, how much water I have recently consumed, etc. So don't put too much stock in your weight, I wouldn't recommend checking every day at least. It might get you discouraged if you aren't seeing daily progress.

Scales lie..... But I bought a cheap $20.00 weight watchers scale from Costco it weighs to the 1/10th of a pound and matches my doctor within a half pound every time.

Although it has been very mean to me lately :w00t:

I bought the perfect scale by EatSmart on Amazon. It's accurate, reasonably priced, digital and looks great.
If you are serious about losing weight and getting in shape do P90x, guaranteed results in three months.

2 things:

1. Get a scale, digital is better, but anything works. Just to track progress.

2. Use the mirror. Ultimately weight-loss is best motivated by aesthetics, and the mirror is your best friend with that. You won't notice bodyfat loss at a higher %'s but as you get lower the loss becomes more dramatic.

2 things:

1. Get a scale, digital is better, but anything works. Just to track progress.

2. Use the mirror. Ultimately weight-loss is best motivated by aesthetics, and the mirror is your best friend with that. You won't notice bodyfat loss at a higher %'s but as you get lower the loss becomes more dramatic.

Thanks for the help, guys! I ended up just getting a digital scale from Target (turns out, they're much better than Wally World for this sort of thing). It's not the fanciest around, but it's consistent. Yup, I'm definitely using the mirror, too...I just need some objective data, since I know that I've always thought I looked overweight, even when I was ~70lb lighter than I am now. I have been losing weight, though...20lb over the last two and a half months! :w00t: I'm going to need some new pants soon...these are starting to look awful baggy...:lol:

Top Bottom