What's new

Scale blanks and freebie

ok do we have a winner........ Sorry guys although some great trys. ok time for the next hint, This timber gets its dark stains from stress in the tree while growing, and the dark vs light is right through this particular type of timber, which contributes to its name.

Thanks to all for playing, And remember this thread is going to continue with new timbers when this 1 is cracked, so there will be plenty of opportunitys to win.

the reddish orange is paduck i think. on top. the light colored wood looks like maple to me.

Last edited:
The darker wood could be one of many... I have no idea. I think the lighter wood is Yellowheart. The grain in the closeup eliminates any domestic hardwood for me.

This timber gets its dark stains from stress in the tree while growing, and the dark vs light is right through this particular type of timber, which contributes to its name.

random shot in the dark, but the first thing that popped into my mind when you said stress while growing is a weeping willow? though I'm not sure that that would have anything that contributes to the name lol

Ok still no correct answers, and remember its the base wood the blanks are sitting on, not the actual blanks( the post has been modified ) so sorry again for any confusion. Those last few who thought i was talking about the blanks u can have another go.

Close, but yet so far!

Dont worry m8 u'll get another chance i have that many diff blanks that im going to keep doing this, when some1 wins i'll post a new less confusing post and picture on this thread and start it again. I have literally hundreds of differant materials so this could go on 4 ever, lol. and its my way of putting back into our B+B community, plus im enjoying it too.

No not Maple TonyN, New clue its name has 2 words, but 1 of the words is 2 words in 1. confused much, lol

Last edited:
Well thats a hard 1 to answer CyiDev, I'm sure the names would be used somwhere in the world as "State/Region/Country?" But not that ive heard so id say no, But i will say that the first word starts with B and the first word is 2 words in 1 (sometimes written as two seperate words, although incorrectly) Confusing enough? lol.

CanisiusHistGrad im sorry for all the confusion its hard to explain, and the hints are meant to be riddle ish, lol but its .....example..............colorblank blank, make more sense?

and ive added rules sorry Matt you only get 1 guess per wood type, but because u were specific i'll grant it, Sorry not
Birdseye Maple. Oh and from a previous clue the color starts with B.

Last edited:
blackgum i think this time the base not the scales.or black gum

if that is right, I'll be darned. That was my first thought (I've even schwacked a branch off my sweetgum tree out in front yard and it's been drying for a couple months now, specifically for scales), but I figured the grain of the sweetgum is all cross-grained, so decided to go with something else.

I was trying to guess the scales, not the backdrop. I think the backdrop wood is Blackheart Sassafras. A.K.A. Tasmanian Sassafras.

Top Bottom