What's new

Scale blanks and freebie

Ok this is the never ending free scale blank contest, Note that as 1 contest is won a new 1 will start all in this thread. To make it easier i'll post the page numbers on this post to each new contest so keep watching. as i have all kinds of materials u never know what u could get for free (ivory????). The amended rules are below and if you have any questions what so ever feel free to PM me. Thanks all and hope you enjoy.

(also none of them have a finish there all raw timber)

CONTEST 1
Hi all, I have up for grabs a set of my wooden blanks that im making at home to the first person to correctly guess the type of wood used as the base my blanks are sitting on in the pics. Please note that the photo shows a rough cut and a slightly sanded 1 to show the grain. 1st to post the correct wood name i will send u a set of my blanks in that type of wood for free, if your prepaired to pay the postage costs. thanks all and have fun, no googling, lolView attachment 213071View attachment 213072

RULES
*YOU ONLY GET 1 GUESS PER CONTEST (so when some1 wins u can enter the next 1)
*YOU MUST PAY THE POSTAGE (it will be whatever it costs to send, i will pack them 4 free)
*YOU MUST BE SPECIFIC WITH THE NAME ( eg. silver birch not just birch. If you answered birch, I will say its incorrect, even though it is silver BIRCH)
*ANYBODY ANYWHERE CAN ENTER( however you will need to check your countrys import laws)
*IF YOU WIN 3 CONTESTS YOU MIGHT GET BANNED 4 A WHILE, LOL(just in case we get a wood expert winning them all, i want to share them around)
*DUE TO TIME RESTRAINTS I WONT BE ABLE TO CUSTOM MAKE ALL THE SCALES I GIVE AWAY(However some exceptions will be made)
*I WILL HOWEVER SUPPLY WHAT I CALL ROUGH CUTS (as pictured above)TO ANY SHAPE YOU WANT(so you will still be able to do any shaping with sand paper)

CONTEST #1 WINNER trick420
CONTEST #2 PAGE 3 ***CURRENT***

Last edited:
its the wood the blanks are sitting on thats the 1 in question, and yes it is the same piece in both pics. Sorry Matt not walnut..... the scale blanks are huon pine (light) and Jarrah (red) But what could the base wood be???? hmmmm.......lol

I cant believe no more ppl have had a guess, dont u wont a free set of my blanks??????

Gee..... 48 views and only 1 guess, are they really that horrible that i cant give them away, lol. the wood is stunning and im going to custom make them for the winner to there size and shape so they will be not rough cut but ready to drill and put your own finish on. and Matt u can have another guess because u thought i meant the blanks.

Haha thanks Kent, CyiDev I'm impressed with your answer because in a funny way ur close ish, How ever thats not it. Ok time for a hint the first pic is deceiving (although it is the same piece of timber) the answer lays in the close up pic.

Sorry Nanewt not it, but i love Curly maple such a nice timber :drool:. And sorry Matt not cherry, but again a timber i love.
Haha.... This is becoming quite fun, Maybe i'll keep this going when some1 guesses it i might do the same thing with another timber.

Legion

Staff member
Look like pine floor boards to me.

Let's call it Australian Cypress.

Last edited:
Sorry HLS not Bocote, and again what a nice wood that is. Now i almost agree with you legion, in the 1st pic it does look like pine. However its most def not, lol ( would be a rather $$$ floor). The key is in the zoomed pic.

Nanewt02 Yes i thought u might have been, im sorry 4 any confusion but i keep getting modified(i'm great at saying the wrong things in the wrong places, still learning) ohhh.... Ok then, lol

Last edited:
So I guess the key you are talking about in the close up pic is the transition from sapwood to heartwood near the top of the pic. Bubinga? Color not quite what I'd expect for that tho. Hmmm....

Krodor your on the money with "the transition from sapwood to heartwood near the top of the pic" But as u only get 1 guess on each set ( when some1 gets it im going to put the next timber up and start again with the same deal.) is Bubinga your final answer mate? do u want to lock it in?

Top Bottom