What's new

Saucepan versus Saucier - Your Preferences

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Haha, I have one of their Proline skillets (along with a few other Demeyere pieces). The one potential drawback for some is the weight of it -- my girlfriend for instance finds it a bit cumbersome. Its unadulterated mass and even distribution of heat means it can sear meat as well as anything out there; but it's also far more responsive at the same time than other skillets you'd want to use for that purpose (for, say, when you want to make a pan sauce). I made carmelized apples this morning to go with crepes and it was brilliant.

I thought the review I linked above had an interesting way of describing the company and its philosophy:

"Imagine an uncle who loves cooking. Imagine he wins the lottery and decides to build the ultimate set of cookware for himself, regardless of cost, such that he will never even think of buying any more cookware afterwards. Imagine that he loves the results so much that he shares them with the world. That’s pretty much Demeyere in a nutshell: superb–likely the last pan you will ever want to buy."
Just took a look around the kitchen and I think perhaps a large fry pan, a sauté pan, and the small saucepan, all in the Atlantis line, would fill in the gaps nicely. As good as they sound, I’m not ready to kick any of my other pans to the curb just to upgrade, especially things like stockpots that wouldn’t really show much benefit over regular 5 ply.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
One of the reasons I really like Demeyere, which is made exclusively in Belgium. Fissler Profi is a cookware line made in Germany also worth knowing about.

I love my Demeyere Atlantis cookware. And yes, made in Belgium.

Ok, I just watched a video about Demeyere and now I want their fry pan. Maybe even a 1.1 quart saucepan instead of another butter warmer.

Haha, I have one of their Proline skillets (along with a few other Demeyere pieces). The one potential drawback for some is the weight of it -- my girlfriend for instance finds it a bit cumbersome. Its unadulterated mass and even distribution of heat means it can sear meat as well as anything out there; but it's also far more responsive at the same time than other skillets you'd want to use for that purpose (for, say, when you want to make a pan sauce). I made carmelized apples this morning to go with crepes and it was brilliant.

I thought the review I linked above had an interesting way of describing the company and its philosophy:

"Imagine an uncle who loves cooking. Imagine he wins the lottery and decides to build the ultimate set of cookware for himself, regardless of cost, such that he will never even think of buying any more cookware afterwards. Imagine that he loves the results so much that he shares them with the world. That’s pretty much Demeyere in a nutshell: superb–likely the last pan you will ever want to buy."

Just took a look around the kitchen and I think perhaps a large fry pan, a sauté pan, and the small saucepan, all in the Atlantis line, would fill in the gaps nicely. As good as they sound, I’m not ready to kick any of my other pans to the curb just to upgrade, especially things like stockpots that wouldn’t really show much benefit over regular 5 ply.

Decided against the saucepan for now. I think these two will serve me well.
EDD0304F-4BE5-4EB4-BF0D-9EF459EFF88D.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
One of the reasons I really like Demeyere, which is made exclusively in Belgium. Fissler Profi is a cookware line made in Germany also worth knowing about.
Got my first Fissler yesterday. I forgot to take pictures. It’s the 6.5 quart pasta cooker. Biggest PITA pasta is angel hair, which has always gotten caught up in the strainer holes of my old Farberware pot. So I made a batch of angel hair pasta with no problem, except I filled it a little too high and had some water boil over with the lid on. Otherwise, it’s a nice little that doesn’t take up too much space.

Top Bottom