What's new

Saucepan versus Saucier - Your Preferences

Gents, my wife and I are considering a true Saucier to accompany our typical straight sided saucepans. Now, we don't need it but simply think we may want it. Sauciers are great for reductions and well...sauce making. Their rounded sides where they meet the bottom of the pan makes keeping a sauce well mixed rather easier. The lack of a sharp point of demarcation between side and bottom is key to prevent burned bits from forming where you cannot keep it stirred away from that little crevice.

The first place we looked was America's Test Kitchen and their hands down recommendation was the Le Creuset 3-1/2qt. stainless model. I think LC is relatively new to stainless multi-ply but the series gets mad reviews and the pieces are beyond polished beauty. Check out ATK YouTube video on this pan style. Very informative.

Now let's look at some specifics to include price point (s). The 3.5 quart Le Creuset is a staggering $250 retail and you won't find it discounted anywhere. There is a smaller stablemate at 2 quarts and it retails at $170 but can be found at several venues for 130-140 dollars. Still a significant sum.

The build quality and finish of these two pans is simply beautiful. Polished and gorgeous this is the kind of kitchen ware you hand off to grandkids. The testers liked it because of its super even heating and perfectly rounded sides to keep the sauces well mixed and prevent burned bits. The pan even out did the All Clad precisely because the latter had a defined line between sides and bottom.

Okay, fine. It is a great and beautiful pan with bragging rights stamped all over it. But is there a better solution to this such as a carbon steel model? I don't mind buying quality but hey, this cowboy works for a living and spending like that had better be much more than just loving the LE Creuset brand. I fully admit to being a fan of the brand but common sense needs a chance here too.

What say you? To the pan style and the model listed as well.

I personally like the All-Clad Copper Core 2 qt saucier. I first got it because I make oatmeal every day, and the return from bottom to side of a saucepan is a PITA to clean. After emptying the contents of the saucepan into the bowl there is always residual oatmeal somewhere in the corner of the return. The saucier may have some residual stuck on it, but it is less and much easier to clean.

I also have an All-Clad 'Rice and Bean' 2&1/2 qt pot. Rounded bottom like a saucier, but loop handles rather than the stick handle of the other saucier. Cool looking and very handy. I am lucky in that a friend who lives in Pittsburgh goes to the yearly All-Clad second sale and picks up cookware that is virtually perfect at extremely low prices and passes the bargains on to me. Otherwise I couldn't justify the expense.

Jimmy, great response. Thank you. It is always a score to get great bargains on good cookware.
I too make oatmeal. Steel cut most times and the long cook times always wind up with stuck bits in the spot where the sides return to the bottom.

I also make a lot of lemon and lime curds and the rounded sides would be a boon for that as well. Most use a double boiler for the task but once I used a 'foolproof' curd recipe in a saucepan I have not looked back. And any gravy, sauce or cereal grain would be a good use of the pan.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Williams-Sonoma is doing a cyber Monday sale today. :biggrin:

Don't forget the Toast Tongs....great stocking stuffers!

I buy my cookware at a local restaurant supply house. I like those bare minimum pans that burn your hands if you don't use a towel. Learned about them in an earlier life as a Maitre 'd working with European Chefs.

Gents, while I was sorely tempted by the Williams-Sonoma cyber Monday deals, a quick perusal of the exceptions reveals that a number of brands chose not to participate in the discounts. You will be shocked to know that Le Creuset was among them.

My wife does most of the cooking here, so I never knew there was a difference in those pans. However, when it comes to cookware, I am a firm believer in saving up for quality so you only need to purchase an item once.

Gents, while I was sorely tempted by the Williams-Sonoma cyber Monday deals, a quick perusal of the exceptions reveals that a number of brands chose not to participate in the discounts. You will be shocked to know that Le Creuset was among them.

LC nice but if you use metal utensils the coating could chip off and in the food..I was looking at a 5qt Dutch oven and read reviews on Amazon.I just use my lodge, it just about bomb proof..

Looks like the 2Qt is on sale at Le Creuset today for $130 (down from $170)?? Am I looking at the right saucier? Not sure if that's enough to pique your interest. I know nothing about their stainless line, but love the dutch ovens that I have of theirs.

LC nice but if you use metal utensils the coating could chip off and in the food..I was looking at a 5qt Dutch oven and read reviews on Amazon.I just use my lodge, it just about bomb proof..

Curtis, there is no coating on this model. They are multi ply stainless steel finish.

Looks like the 2Qt is on sale at Le Creuset today for $130 (down from $170)?? Am I looking at the right saucier? Not sure if that's enough to pique your interest. I know nothing about their stainless line, but love the dutch ovens that I have of theirs.

Chab, I saw that price point at a couple of different places and it is very tempting. Two things hold me back. It is typically described as a bit too small for some tasks(who decides that though?) and even at $130 you are still more than half way to the price point of the larger model. I don't know. I wish I could handle these things in person and I may have to make a trip to the W-S store on the Country Club Plaza yet. Tempting though...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My wife does most of the cooking here, so I never knew there was a difference in those pans. However, when it comes to cookware, I am a firm believer in saving up for quality so you only need to purchase an item once.

There is no better advice than this.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Long-time All-Clad user and fan here. Great stuff that you can hand down to your kids' kids.

You can get a 3.17 quart 24cm stainless-lined copper saucier from Falk USA for $220 right now, which leaves $15 for a stainless lid & $15 for something to cook in it. I can't see paying that for aluminum & steel. Of course copper's no good for induction cooking. Just be warned, it weighs 5.5 lbs. Borgeat actually makes better sauciers in big sizes, but they're seriously pricey.

Last edited:
This was a fun read. I've never felt I needed a saucier but that's just personal preference in the kitchen. A good saucepan just works well for me. Also, in most cases for any given volume saucepan, I'd rather have the extra cooking surface area in the base.

Won't lie though, I've been tempted before by that 3.5 qt Demeyere saucier jbaca mentioned above, but talked myself out of it.

As an aside... for anyone out there contemplating AllClad cookware, take a serious look at Demeyere first before making a decision. You'll be glad you did.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nearly five years and no one else reacted to this‽
That may be the longest time one of my references have hung out there.

Attachments

• D14F5529-720E-4CE2-B00B-F271304128D6.jpeg
    D14F5529-720E-4CE2-B00B-F271304128D6.jpeg
    759.6 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom