What's new

sanitizing?

Do not do this, lol. Unless you dress up like a fireman.

Covid, AIDS/HIV.... all viral stuff besides a bad video experience die when higher than blood temperature hits it. How much higher? Depends on the virus; they are constantly adapting to survive.

Your wife needs to read a Kollege textbook from Biology 101, the section on immune response. We are fearfully and wonderfully made my friend.
She actually took some extensive course on manicuring thing, and that is where she got knowledge that led her to notion, that none of liquids does the job and autoclave should be used for some like 60 minutes… the good thing, she stopped going to beauty spas :)

Autoclaves run at 121C. Is that enough?

Qauternary ammonium compounds are pretty good for this kind of thing. For instance, Barbicide. Which is labeled for use against HIV, HBC, and HCV. I'd encourage you not to overthink this, but if you want to mess around with a 170C oil bath, have fun.
As mentioned, no access for Barbicide…

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you want to take the scales off and throw them away I'll bet she'd be happy if you pressure cooked the blades!

She actually took some extensive course on manicuring thing, and that is where she got knowledge that led her to notion, that none of liquids does the job and autoclave should be used for some like 60 minutes… the good thing, she stopped going to beauty spas :)
Is this an option?

Portable Ultraviolet Disinfection Lamp Light UV Handheld Mini Sanitizer UV Sterilization Wand Light Great for Travel, Household, Car, and Pets Living Area Cleaning https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088KCY...t_i_1R6XBF4HT57BJSV4SE53?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Is this an option?

Portable Ultraviolet Disinfection Lamp Light UV Handheld Mini Sanitizer UV Sterilization Wand Light Great for Travel, Household, Car, and Pets Living Area Cleaning https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088KCY...t_i_1R6XBF4HT57BJSV4SE53?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I got some UV lamp from Russia. They use them as a part of disinfecting air and breathing with this air as a healthy measure in some of diseases. Pretty strong, covered to avoid direct light exposure, but inside I could put blades, and shall work like a charm.

If you are super concerned take a stack of them to your local tattoo or piercing parlor and have them autoclaved for $20. The artist will probably think your crazy but they will do the job for $20-30. You will sleep well knowing absolutely nothing survived, just remember to wash your hands well so they don’t get re-contaminated on the ride back home.

If you are super concerned take a stack of them to your local tattoo or piercing parlor and have them autoclaved for $20. The artist will probably think your crazy but they will do the job for $20-30. You will sleep well knowing absolutely nothing survived, just remember to wash your hands well so they don’t get re-contaminated on the ride back home.
yeah, but I would need to disassemble them first.

why is everybody overthinking this what's wrong with good old anti-bacterial soap we all wash our hands when we have been to a public toilet then carry on eating at Mcdonalds with our hands

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
why is everybody overthinking this what's wrong with good old anti-bacterial soap we all wash our hands when we have been to a public toilet then carry on eating at Mcdonalds with our hands
Because those who ask a question about razor sterilization will never, ever, accept any answer unless it matches or exceeds their own level of extreme sterilization. They do not seek an answer so much as confirmation 👍

Well, because you do not have contact with blood in that case?

Did some medical standards reading, in medicine is common to boil 15 mins in 1litr of water + 20gramm Sodium bicarbonate has the formula NaHCO₃. But I think that doing bits and pieces of above described process will keep me safe.

Because those who ask a question about razor sterilization will never, ever, accept any answer unless it matches or exceeds their own level of extreme sterilization. They do not seek an answer so much as confirmation 👍
Subject to discussion... I am a regular blood donor, and really would not like to be informed that I got some HCV identified... Call me psycho, but in stead of answer "googled quickly" or "doing this way for 20 years all good" I am rather lookin into market medicine standards and Professional Journals like mentioned above. I do not want to count on good/bad luck, I want to stick to science.

Food for thought. Better sterilize those new razors also because the person grinding or packaging them may have cut themselves with them prior to shipping.

Have fun out of me… T razor and dismounted Mondesir where boiled in sodium bicarbonate. Those that will not be disassembled will be treated differently.

As a matter of fact, I believe this is a very neglected subject by straight razor users. Nothing against anyone who buys a used razor and just washes it with soap and water, everyone is free to act as they see fit. Maybe use a lifetime without any problem. But in scientific terms I think the thing is much more complex, and little is said about it in forums. Although several generations have used carbon steel straight razors for shaving, I believe that it is technically not recommended, so much so that all surgical materials use stainless steel with a certain standard (surgery inox). I don't know much about medical standards for disinfection, just based on my personal convictions. Personally, what I do (feel free to do what you think is best for you) When I get a new razor I like to wash it with soap and water and then leave the blade in boiling water for approximately 8-10 minutes, after which I apply 90% alcohol. If it's a used razor, I like to remove the scales (I don't reuse used scales), I give the metal a general wash with soapy water and a sponge. Then I send it to an autoclave disinfection. As they are carbon steel, they come back all rusty. I would not recommend this process for razors with gold trim. I remove the rust with an abrasive sponge, redo the polish with a micro grinder and felt with chromox. Then I exchange the scales for new ones. Then it moves on to the sharpening process. After the entire sharpening process, I wash it with soap and water and do the process I use with a new blade. Whether it's correct or not I don't know but it's what I do.
ps. sorry my bad english (non native).

As a matter of fact, I believe this is a very neglected subject by straight razor users. Nothing against anyone who buys a used razor and just washes it with soap and water, everyone is free to act as they see fit. Maybe use a lifetime without any problem. But in scientific terms I think the thing is much more complex, and little is said about it in forums. Although several generations have used carbon steel straight razors for shaving, I believe that it is technically not recommended, so much so that all surgical materials use stainless steel with a certain standard (surgery inox). I don't know much about medical standards for disinfection, just based on my personal convictions. Personally, what I do (feel free to do what you think is best for you) When I get a new razor I like to wash it with soap and water and then leave the blade in boiling water for approximately 8-10 minutes, after which I apply 90% alcohol. If it's a used razor, I like to remove the scales (I don't reuse used scales), I give the metal a general wash with soapy water and a sponge. Then I send it to an autoclave disinfection. As they are carbon steel, they come back all rusty. I would not recommend this process for razors with gold trim. I remove the rust with an abrasive sponge, redo the polish with a micro grinder and felt with chromox. Then I exchange the scales for new ones. Then it moves on to the sharpening process. After the entire sharpening process, I wash it with soap and water and do the process I use with a new blade. Whether it's correct or not I don't know but it's what I do.
The only way to be sure is to buy new and hope the previous handlers never cut themselves or touched the blade.

Stainless steel is used in surgical instruments because it is very difficult to rust, can go into autoclaves, etc. nothing to do with it being inherently more “sterile”. Trust me, I worked for a large dental instrument company and we would often get resharpening and refurbishing work come in, all we made were stainless instruments. I’ve seen plenty of poorly cleaned, supposedly sterilized instruments that had dried blood, human tissue, amalgam stuck to them, etc. Process is only as good as the person doing the processing.

As far as your post, honestly, sounds kind of nuts tbh, to each their own though.

Top Bottom